Resizing pictures

Need forum advice? Unregistered? Heres where to post
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, GT550

Resizing pictures

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

The pics I posted in the diesel spills thread were HUGE. How do I post pics of a reasonable size? Is it on my pissy, at photobucket, or is there an option on this forum. Any help appreciated

KK
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Most digital cameras take pictures with many more pixels than the average computer screen can handle and people waste acres of hard drive space using a resolution they never actually see. For example if your screen has 1280x800 pixels, that's about 1 million pixels. Hence a 6 million pixel camera is completelywasted on it unless you intend to print out the pictures.

To save space on my hard drive I generally set my camera to about 1 million pixels for that reason, as it's very unlikely that I print anything out these days. All of my albums are on pissy these days and backed up to an external hard drive. If I do intend to print out then I increase the camera resolution accordingly. Even so, a million pixels is still ok for a normal snapshot. Enlargements however will require more pixels.

The easiest way to reduce the picture size is to open them in whatever software you have and set them to full screen. Look at the picture size (there'll be a small box in the menu somewhere with the percentage of actual size shown). Now reduce the picture to the size shown (ie if it says 25%, then reduce to 25%). This way a picture will now be at 100% to fill the screen size, giving you maximum reolution for minimum file size. A 3 Mb picture can easlily shrink 10 fold in storage size by doing this, yet you still have the same screen resolution.

Note: If you have a pretty cheap pissy with a shitty screen resolution I would stick to about a million pixels for decent picture quality, for when you upgrade.

Obviously if you want to post on the board, you'll need a smaller than screen size picture (say 50-60%).
jbrebel
2lb Black Ribbed Knobler
Current Ride: The light fantastic

Post by jbrebel »

I dont bother with setting them to ful screen. Just open them with photoshop or whatever and resize image to 800 x 600 or for a bit smaller 600 x 400.

On photobucket image hosting site there is the option to resize your images before posting also :2up
Kawasaki krazy
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZL1000 Eliminator, GT550

Post by Kawasaki krazy »

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll maybe try again later

Cheers

KK
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

I use this application - Picture Resizer.

Can resize single pics or resize them in batches.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Gazza wrote:To save space on my hard drive I generally set my camera to about 1 million pixels for that reason, as it's very unlikely that I print anything out these days. All of my albums are on pissy these days and backed up to an external hard drive..
What about loss of clarity when zooming in :arse