Bloody stuck bolts.

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
speedaddictedberk
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: Speed Triple 1050, GPZ600R, K100Rt

Bloody stuck bolts.

Post by speedaddictedberk »

I've got an ancient B M W project bike that I need to get the brake bleed nipples out of, but they're carbon steel and bolted into aluminium.
So far I've snapped one and the other two are looking like going the same way if I use any more farce, tried heat and soaking with oil.

Any suggestions on how to remove these before I replace the calipers? They take an 11mm socket so drilling would be akward as I dont think I have a tap that will fit.
Any placed in Aberdeen likely to be able to bodge or drill these? :???
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Bloody stuck bolts.

Post by al »

Just dump the whole bike and be done with it! ;)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Didn't think tractors needed brakes ;)

Have you reied a reverse tap into the small hole of the nipple?
Taz
Tube steak

Post by Taz »

There was somone on here mentioning about the banjo bolt with the bleed nipple bilt in here dunno where u get them from tho and it would solve that problem for you :2up

OK after typing that i ebayed it :log http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DOUBLE-BANJO-BOLT ... 18Q2el1247
memini
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha ycs1c and VFR V-teac

Post by memini »

the ones that have snapped try drilling out and retaping the threads or a easiout . the one that hasnt snapped a bit of heat maybe
Toonser
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: YER MA!!

Post by Toonser »

Last edited by Toonser on Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

memini wrote:the one that hasnt snapped a bit of heat maybe
Read the first post. He already tried that.

An internal easyout or reverse tap of that size will almost certainly snap off. You then have something stuck in the holde that is extremely hard to drill.

They need to be drilled out, but a hand drill is too dodgy, it will likely slip off the hard steel and into the aluminium.

There should be plenty of small engineering works in Aberdeen with a pillar drill that can do it with the caliper held tightly in a vice. Don't rush the the drilling rate either or the drill will bend off course. I don't have access to Abz directory though so maybe somebody can help out.

Drill them out to just under the thread size, hopefully the ramining piece will be easy to remove. Failing that, use a helicoil kit.

Replace the new ones with a small amount of copperslip or very high temperature grease on the threads.
SugR1
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1, xj900 ttr600

Post by SugR1 »

i will ask my mate the name of this stuff again. i thinck it my be made by lock tight, but no sure, comes in a air o sole can. sort of liqweid nitregin spray on leave a minete i think boilt nipel etc shinks a bitt an comes oot. jobs a good one :2up mate just called . lock tight freez and releace. hope that helps :2up
phatkat
Baw Bag

Post by phatkat »

SugR1 wrote: i think boilt nipel etc shinks a bitt an comes oot.
Jesus that sounds nasty... :eek
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

As Gazza suggested, get someone to drill out the majority of the bleed nipple then get them to spark erode the rest.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Grant wrote:As Gazza suggested, get someone to drill out the majority of the bleed nipple then get them to spark erode the rest.
Ir as I said just put the lot in a skip and forget about that period in your life! ;)
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: as I said just put the lot in a skip and forget about that period in your life! ;)

:stupid :deal

Remove Calliper mounting bolts with the correct sized spanner so as to not round off the bolts heads. Replace the bolts back into their holes so you don’t lose them later as these are usually a fine thread and hard to come by. Next remove the brake pipe make sure not to get covered in fluid as its corrosive stuff. Keep the Banjo bolt in the end of the pipe and the copper washers. Then move to garden either remove or open bin lid at throw in JOB DONE :2up

:biggrin2
speedaddictedberk
Knee Flapper

The "classic" B M W has no banjo bolts, the brake lines screw directly into the caliper.
I'm going offshore today so I'll try the reverse tap and more heat before drilling them out. (then going to breaking point and getting another set).

The main problem (apart from me) is that the bolts are carbon steel and the claipers are aliminium, so they're held in with corrosion rather than just being tight.

I can't skip the bike, it's almost finished! All it needs is some brakes, the exhaust re-fitting and the fairing putting back on. Another couple of weeks and it could be finished. Probably :boozer .
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

speedaddictedberk wrote:so I'll try the reverse tap and more heat before drilling them out. (then going to breaking point and getting another set).
My money's on the tap breaking and the option of drilling them out being lost (along with the caliper). ;)
speedaddictedberk
Knee Flapper

well yes, I'd be amazed if it works but I'll try anyway.
teamemmenracing
The Real Slim Shady
Current Ride: R 6..... errrr another R 6 and XJR1300

Post by teamemmenracing »

A good engineering shop should be able to Mill em out for you ........
Think you are going to find that the cost of doing it all is going to be way more than sourcing new bits
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

teamemmenracing wrote:Think you are going to find that the cost of doing it all is going to be way more than the value of the bike
That's what I was thinking! :deal
SugR1
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1, xj900 ttr600

Post by SugR1 »

lock tight freez and release works
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

mig a weld onto the remaining part of the nipple allow to cool and repeat until you can weld a small nut on and simply unbolt.
the heat from the welding will also free off the threads due to the different expansion and contraction rates of the differing metals. have used this method many times with 100% success rate also works well on snapped stud in ally engine blocks

If you still don't have a welder give me a shout and I should be able to do it for you :2up
speedaddictedberk
Knee Flapper

I do have a welder, but I'm really crap with it. Which is weird considering the amount of time I've spent watching other people weld things!
I'll give you a shout when I get back. :2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

speedaddictedberk wrote:I do have a welder, but I'm really crap with it. Which is weird considering the amount of time I've spent watching other people weld things!
A bit like your ability with bolts then! ;)