phpbb question

Need forum advice? Unregistered? Heres where to post
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

phpbb question

Post by aisgsimon »

Hey

this is for admins mostly/ the admin. Im currently trying to set up a phpbb forum for work and am looking on some general advice as well as any good mods that this forum one in particular uses as I quite like the way its put together and all
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: phpbb question

Post by al »

The best advice I can give is to keep your forum as vanilla (standard) as possible unless you really enjoy mucking about with code and fixing things when ever there is an update to the forum software.

The mods are a bit more modular that they used to be with earlier versions of the software so it can be less of an issue with some mods but others need you to edit loads of files to make them work. That's work you can end up having to redo then those files are updated. They can also add security problems as they can be updated less frequently than the main phpBB software. That is particularly true for themes. I tend to use the standard theme and just edit the banner colour and images these days.

Keeping things simple means that if you do make a mess of things you can always upload a clean copy of the forum scripts to the server, restore the config files and be back up and running quickly.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

Have to agree with Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) here
Keep things SIMPLE!!!!
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

Thanks for the advice. I've just started a free hosted one to much about with as I was having issues with the database hosting and I dont want to contact out IT company unnecessarily as we dont have so much cash to splash for this 'experiment' just now and they invoice for. Unfortunately our web hosting is tied to our IT contract so we don't have control or contact with the host directly :angryfire .. and I don't want to register it as a separate domain but rather 'attach' it to our main page