Everyday

For any non bike related banter .....
D3LS M
Late Braker

Everyday

Post by D3LS M »

Everyday I log in here, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, to find nothing. :(

Am I missing something or is there just no activity on this forum at all now ??

Used to be regularly there was numerous topics/posts but now nowt. :???

What's happened folks ??
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Re: Everyday

Post by haiax0 »

Lots of people loggin in and no one contributing is the problem! Allot want to read and not write maybe?

Anyways.. That might be my end of season! A cold and wet 3 degrees out there! Even with heated best and bars I didn't enjoy that much!! Hats off to rest of you still enjoying it / commuting in it!! :-)
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

Times thay are a changing, I log on most days to but I fink pepps are using "social media" now as opposed to message boards. Please tell me how the fleece book or twatersphere works?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

R2D2 wrote:Everyday I log in here, sometimes 3 or 4 times a day, to find nothing. :(

Am I missing something or is there just no activity on this forum at all now ??

Used to be regularly there was numerous topics/posts but now nowt. :???

What's happened folks ??
Social media has something to do with it. Peoples personal life's moving away from biking is also a contributing factor. Another significant factor over the last year has been the hit to the oil industry. At the moment most folk up here are just concerned with keeping the wolves from the door and feeding our families rather than bikes and biking forums.

It isn't just this forum that is quiet at the moment. I am a member on a XT660 forum and also an Aprilia forum and those are almost as quiet as this one. However, I also run the VTR1000.org forum and that is still going strong to the level that I struggle to keep up with what is going on every day.

I don't really know that the cure is but even though this place is quiet I will keep it going for as long as I can afford to.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Not just online, but back in the real world interest is declining. I was at Grampian Motorcycle Club Christmas party last night year, only 16 attendees this year.

Good for you Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) and a merry Christmas to you and yours :cheers
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

Agreed, social media has had a huge effect on biking forums. Mine (The DBF) has lost loads of members, some very active ones over the last couple of years to FB however, we are still a fairly active forum.

Like most I'm on a few forums and as you say some have died of death but UKGSer is as big and busy as any in the past.

It's disappointing to the this forum struggle as it was my inspiration to starting my forum :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

R2D2 wrote:...

What's happened folks ??

Some folks are still here, but recently I am also guilty of not posting up much.

As others have said, this time of year many people are not on their bikes, so are not thinking bikes, where Facebook is filled with everything…and the downside is it is also filled with everybody.

I am not a big Facebook fan.
It is a stunning tool, but there are very few people competent to use that tool.
It does have uses and good side, and a huge quantity of amusing sh1te.

For me, I try and keep the majority of biking talk on bike forums, like this one.

As the front page says “...a source of banter, information and gathering place for like minded Bikers in the North East of Scotland”

A great thing about this site, that generally only bikers use it, so you don’t get posts whining from non-bikers (that much), and if a biker does whine they either have a point, or you tell them to faf off...all in the best possible taste.

Many people log in a few times a week, but don’t post anything up.
So why not post up more?
Post up something and encourage others to post up.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Facebook has to be the main reason. Look at anyone locked into their phone or computer and inevitably they're glued to FB. They have 900 million friends posting a predominant amount of rubbish. But they seem addicted to watching every video and checking every link just in case it has some poor unfortunate in it that they can laugh at. All these people sharing videos of somebody else's misfortune should maybe think of the consequences of a video going viral with them in it. People have been known to commit suicide. Are you part of it? Does it play on your conscience? It should.

Then there are the fuckwits that post so prolifically that I've deleted them from my FB account. I have better things to do than look at photographs of their lunch.

People post to get likes, not to share information, say hello or offer friendship... just to get likes. It's like a pat on the back, getting a gold star at school... and the sad thing is, almost all user are guilty to a certain degree. It's easy to spot the worst culprits. Make a reply on any of their posts, any time of day or night and you'll get an immediate response. Their whole life is ruled by the bloody thing.

It's a sad world and it's getting sadder. The Internet.... the tool of communication is simply killing communication.
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

if I had anything to add I'd post,.. but sadly too busy trying to find work ( a full time job in itself) after being made redundant in nov... I barely log in anywhere ...even facebook :eek only to get relevant updates I need (my rugby club has a page where info is posted).
JUst the way all things are going it seems,...plus it is a quieter time of year ;)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Well this thread is full of joy ;)

While I do agree that fafbook and other SMDs are taking something away from forums, it is not all bad.

Personally I just haven't been riding much over the last few years. The passion for biking isn't there atm. Perhaps it will return, who knows. This forum is great, but I am guessing no one wants to hear about my car building project ;)

What seems to be missing is the influx of 'new blood' to keep the activity up. This could be due to a lack of 'organised' runs. At the moment the traditional run organisers are all busy with the necessities of life, the area is being hit hard as a result of the low oil price.

That said, perhaps the forum has more value in tough times......
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

I like the dedicated Bike forum i.e this kind and it's fine to access via computer at work.

But FB is an easier interface to use, to log into, mobile friendly with whatever device you're using etc.