Are the "improvements" to the city centre roads making thing worse?

For any non bike related banter .....
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

I am rarely in the big city, but the two roads noted below are some of the roads that I do use.
Hence my question: Are the "improvements" to the city centre roads making thing worse?
I am not being cynical (for a change), just after your thoughts.

Bedford Road
Broad Street

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... ly-closes/

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/new ... ay-system/
bill.m
Tube steak
Current Ride: KTM Duke, Honda VFR800 Vtec, Triumph Sprint STD 1050

Re: Are the “improvements” to the city centre roads making thing worse?

Post by bill.m »

Bedford Road is my normal commute to work at the hospital so as of today I'm certainly missing it. Can't see the sense in making it buses only, and if I owned a shop in the retail park I wouldn't be too happy about it either. I'm sure we can all imagine the queues at the traffic lights on Great Northern Road on a busy day. You really have to wonder about the cooncil and their traffic model, I give you the Guild Street fiasco as a shining example.
sparkie
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSX1400k2

Post by sparkie »

Shambles another back of fag packet hair brained idea that has no justification & will have repercussions if travelling through the deen for years to come, no consultation a bit like offshore, would imagine when this lot are out on their ears come the next cooncil election they will be getting positions with Firstbus as they are the only ones that will benefit from this!

:(
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

I am assuming that they are installing retractable bollards like they have at the old Gandholb bridge. In which case I would hope that two wheeled vehicles can still get through unhindered?

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Looks like it will be a gate rather than bollards -

https://wpcluster.dctdigital.com/evenin ... e-cameras/
CCTV is to be used in a bid to clamp down on motorists ignoring a new bus gate in Aberdeen.

A bus gate is to be introduced as part of the creation of the Third Don Crossing.

It will be on Bedford Road between the junctions with Meston Walk and Hermitage Avenue to allow only buses and cyclists to use the area. As part of a £66,000 investment, Aberdeen City Council is to introduce CCTV cameras to monitor motorists who disobey the regulations.

The cash will also be put towards cameras for the bus lane within the proposed A96 Park and Ride.

The decision to introduce the bus gate was made despite it emerging that the move could lead to a 27% increase in vehicles using STD Machar Drive.

Spokesman for Transport and Regeneration Councillor Ross Grant said: “Enforcement of fines for the illegal use of this bus gate and bus lanes more widely is essential to improve traffic flow and journey times for the benefit of all drivers.

“We need to cameras in place at this particular location to help provide a clear through way for buses in line with the Third Don Crossing scheme.”
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

It's fine by me if it looks like this...

:log
Khauff
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha MT-01, Honda MSX

Re: Are the "improvements" to the city centre roads making thing worse?

Post by Khauff »

Anyone know if the fixed cameras are installed on Union Street bus gate or are they still mobile cameras?