Give us your views on the world of Superbikes
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Tim "Twister" Hastings - 2008

Post by Gazza »

Gazza wrote:
airwave wrote: Gaz,
You got any idea if ther'll be a channel to watch it on down here?
Looking for something to fill my Sunday night that's a bit more interesting than the 4 floors.
Unfortunately no. Real bummer. :(

Only thing I get to see here is MotoGP (so long as it doesn't interfere with F1 that is). WSB is available on the net but the comms are far too slow for that. Tried buying a live TV service, but it only gives live streaming and I can't download to watch later. :angryfire

Let me know if you come up with anything yourself.
FMOB. Tapping through the channels last night on Astro and fcuk me if BSB wasn't on Astro Eurosport (Channel 814). Missed the first race, but caught the second start of the second race. Fingers crossed they put it on again for Outlon Park and the rest of the season. :2up
twister
Direct Access

Post by twister »

Hey all......

Nerves got the better of Tim,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,jump start and ride through penalty

Tim knew that he was getting a penalty the minute he moved, (even if he stopped), so he just kept going............. He was P2 after lap one and was given the ride through signal at the end of lap one. Three laps to comply or get black flagged. Tim came into pitlane for his drive through on lap three and re-joined in P19 and was P12 when the safety car was deployed. (to recover a stricken bike) The safety car went in with two laps to go and Tim finished the race in P10. We then discovered that Tim's been given a further 5 second penalty for "overtaking under safety car". Tim says "thats bollocks" and we check the timesheets. Sure enough, bike #6 (one of Tim's team-mates), was the bike Tim was penalised for passing, was 0.005 seconds behind Tim across the start / finish. Tim's adamant he DID NOT pass and we investigate a little further, turns out bike #6 has the transponder mounted more or less in the middle of the bike and Tim's transponder is mounted in his bikes nose. Tim's transponder was ahead of bike #6's transponder when they crossed the line and hence the 0.005 second advantage across the line and hence the penalty.

So, fastest on Friday, Pole posistion in the pissing rain on Saturday, by 0.6 seconds, jump start on Sunday, followed by a drive through penalty, raced back through the pack from P19 to finish P10 (P4 in Cup)- Then penalised a further 5 seconds for the saftey car infringement, resulting in P14 overall. (P6 in Cup)

But we are now seeing Tim's potential at this level, Ok, so he made a mistake - no-one is more gutted than Tim -but he was fastest in practise, qualified on the pole and ran comfortably at the front until he came in to serve his penalty.

Oulton Park next on 3rd, 4th & 5th May.............
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Ok a disappointing outcome after a promising start. But hey, that's racing and there'll probably be more of that to come.......in amongst the successes.

End of the day a very encouraging weekend and something to be proud of. Keep up the good work Tim. :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Firstly a warm congratulations for this weekends achievements Qualifying P1 in the rain by that margin :worthy :worthy

I am sure that you are kicking yourself for the jump start but it sounds like you were on a mission going from 19th to 12 before the safety car and finished the race having passed half the bikes on the grid back up to 10th.

You then had a bit of bad luck ( in real terms) with the positioning of someone elses transponder.

You have to take a lot of positives from the weekend.
Keep up the good work ( and the race reports )

Zax (Dave)
twister
Direct Access

Post by twister »

The team and I got to Oulton on Thursday night and had to wait till Friday morning before we could get in to set up. After setting up we walked the track.
While we were walking the track Mark told us that the track wouldn’t offer much grip so early in the morning and to be careful as he didn’t want to see any of us bringing the bikes back in the recovery van.
I went to bed early as our first session was at nine o’clock. I went out and took my time to remind myself of the circuit layout. After a few laps I started to push harder and feel for the grip and like Mark said, there wasn’t very much!
I ended up in 6th but I was happy with that as I didn’t push my hardest due to the conditions. The second session had so much more grip now due to all the bikes that had been round and the temp getting hotter.
I ended the second session in 2nd with a lap time of 1:49.2.

Next up was our first qualifying session. I was struggling with qualifying as every time on the exit of Lodge (the last corner) the bike would just wheelie, I came in and told Mark and he said it was maybe the way I was riding the corner so I tried it in 2nd gear and that was my problem sorted.
Toward the end of the session my pit board showed only six minutes remaining, I knew that would give me three more laps so I pushed real hard, setting the fastest first sector but then I caught a slower rider into the hairpin which ruined the lap. My last 2 laps the same kind of thing happened, I caught slower rider’s right towards the end of the lap. As a result I was 8th on the grid One tenth of a second quicker would have put me on the front row!! I ended the qualifying session with a lap time of 1:49.164 and 2 seconds faster than my best time last year.

On Sunday we had second qualifying but it was raining so we knew no one would go faster. I was still in two minds whether I should go out or not. So I asked Mark what I should do and he said it’s my call as the forecast for our race was for good weather, I decided not to go out.
I then went to go see Fred Clark (Circuit commentator) and Fred interviewed me.

Our warm-up session was on a damp track which was okay, as I had to run a piston in and ended the 10 minute session in 13th.
Not long after warm up I started to feel ill so I went for a sleep felt a lot better after I and woke.
After a long wait it was finally time for my race. I got a good start but due to me making a few mistakes in the first few laps I had dropped down the field to 12th. Once I had calmed down I settled into a good pace and started to gain places. On lap seven I set the fastest lap time of the race. I could see two of my team mates ahead of me and focussed on catching them. I managed to catch and pass them within four laps and on the last lap I was with in passing range of the fifth placed rider but as I went to line him up my bike started miss-firing. All I wanted to do then was just finish and try to keep my position. Just before the start finish line, the same thing happened again and my team mate, Tom Hayward, just beat me across the line by 0.033 seconds.

I finished 7th overall (3rd in cup and fastest lap by a Cup rider), which is my best finish at this level and I had made it onto the Academy Cup podium.

Timmy#50

Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Well done Tim :worthy

Thanks for the reports. Really enjoy reading them.

Wishing you good fortune for the next race.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Good reports Tim.

Best of luck with the race, and the rest of the season.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Well done :2up

You obviouly have the pace and just need a bit of luck to help it all gell together .
Keep up the training and hard work

:2up
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

well done , hang in there :2up
twister
Direct Access

Post by twister »

Thanks for the support everyone We were only at Brands, for 2days so it was a bit busy, on Saturday we struggled to get the bike set up. But after the practise i was confident that we had the bike set up right for the race. On Saturday night I found out that my Grandad had passed away which made that night hard as my dad was upset aswell as me. On Sunday morning we just tried our best to put that past us untill we were finished. We went to find Jack B he is a commentator for Eurosport so my dad and I had a good chat with him, which by the sounds of things was the right thing to do as Jack and his mate Whitham spoke alot about me.
The race started well as i left my row for dead and then got held up by 2 riders on the front row so I lost the places I gained. My bike kept cutting out? The team will look at it and see what was happening, but it was frustrating. At one point it died completely and I thought my race was over but then it started going again so i just kept riding it. I lost a few places and dropped right off of the pack ahead as the bike kept dying every so often. But then I gaind places by making up the time in the corners & got up into 4th. At the start of the last lap I had my team mate ahead, I passed him into Clearways (last corner) but then with lack of rear end grip the back end started to come round on me, so I couldn't even touch the throttle until the rear was back in line, before I could drive onto the striaght. This allowed my team mate to get on the power and drive onto the striaght earlier and he came past me. I tried to get into his slipstream and then came out to pass but it wasn't enough. So I lost out on 3rd by .079 of a second. Look on the bright side I still got 3rd in the cup . :cool
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Hi Tim,

It was a nice surprise to see the 125 race on Eurosport yesterday and you did get a lot of airtime, they spoke about you loads. Well done in the race, you did very well :worthy

Condolences regards your Granda but good on you getting on with the race :2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Unfortunately I don't get to see the 125's out here in Brunei, but looks like you did pretty well under the circumstances.

Condolences on your granddad Tim. He would be very proud of you.

Keep up the good work. A win beckons I'm sure.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Well done once again , under trying conditions both on and off the track.
You are due a weekend when everything just comes together.

Looking forward to hearing about the rest of the season .

Keep up the good work ..

ZAX (dave)
kevg
Direct Access
Current Ride: VTR1000 'storm

Post by kevg »

We watched the race, you did well Tim, hard luck with the bike, podium for sure had it not been cutting out, hope the team get it sorted for next time out.
twister
Direct Access

Post by twister »

Hi all.......

Been a bit difficult of late, after Brands Tim and I flew to Cape town for my father's funeral, we got back on Thursday 22nd, Tim wrote his physics exam on the 23rd and I collected him from school and headed for Donington.

On our return from Cape Town on the 22nd, I'm going through the post and we had received an invitation from the ACU for Tim to submit an entry for a wildcard entry to the British MotoGP at Donington. Bad news is that the application had to be returned by the 21st...............I phoned the ACU who were sympathetic and said they would submit Tim's application to the FIM but it would be a long shot. They are sticklers for keeping to schedules and several names had already been submitted. So the entry is in, but dont hold your breath!! Oh well, there is always 2009

On to Donny..................

FP1 on Saturday was windy, but dry. Tim goes out and by the end of the session is 4th fastest and bettered his best time from '07.
FP2 is the same weather conditions, Tim goes faster again before being black flagged for using too much of the pit exit lane, on his entry into Redgate....Oooops.

Q1 on Sunday is now wet and windy but tim loves the conditions and ends the session in provisional P3, front row of the grid.
Q2 is again wet and windy although the rain stops and the track begins to dry, Tim goes quicker than in Q1, but crashes out at Coppice, unhurt, with 6 minutes remaining while on a faster lap. tim ends the session in P7, second row. Not bad considering and in with a shout from the second row.

Monday is dry but the wind has now picked up considerably, awnings are being destroyed, debris is blowing across the circuit - very windy indeed!!
Tim goes out for his warm up session and goes quick right away, ending the 10 minute session in P3.
We wait for our turn to race at 17h10 but at 16h15 get the shout from the organisers that our race is cancelled due the winds. Gutted - but the right call was made.
We will now have a double header at Mallory park, with the grid positions from Donington being carried over for race two at Mallory.

Tim's best lap of 1.44.4 is 1.5 seconds quicker than he's ever been round donny and I'm sure he would have got into the high 1.42's in his race.

Next up is Snetterton...............
fazermal
Always ahead of Trouble
Current Ride: KTM Tangerine Twin
Yamaha XT 660 X (recovered by the Dohnut munchers)

Post by fazermal »

You did well at Mallory Tim I wont spoil it as you will want to put up your own race report, now i`ll see if I can post up some of the photos.

Keep up the good work :2up
kennybhoy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 A2 & XT660X

Post by kennybhoy »

TIIIMMMYYYYY........timmy?...

TIMMMMYYYYY
twister
Direct Access

Post by twister »

fazermal wrote:You did well at Mallory Tim I wont spoil it as you will want to put up your own race report, now i`ll see if I can post up some of the photos.

Cheers fazermal!! thanks for the support mate an good pic's too. u should've come to say hi :2up

With a brolly girl like these you can only do well!!! :cool

Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

twister wrote:
fazermal wrote:You did well at Mallory Tim I wont spoil it as you will want to put up your own race report, now i`ll see if I can post up some of the photos.

Cheers fazermal!! thanks for the support mate an good pic's too. u should've come to say hi :2up

With a brolly girl like these you can only do well!!! :cool

Stay focussed on the racing Tim .... Let us worry about the Brolly dolly's !!

Keep up the good work and the race reporting it is always interesting to hear how you are getting on both the highs and lows, I know for one that there are a lot of folk from the board cheering you on and wishing you all the best. :2up :2up
fazermal
Always ahead of Trouble

Post by fazermal »

The guy to your right on the grid didnt do to well with the brolly dolly :log
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Tim is on pole as of FP2 today at Oulton Park, hope he has a good race tomorrow. Race is on Eurosport 2 on Thursday night. (BSB support races)
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Tim scored a 2nd at Outlon Park yesterday. Missed out on first by just 0.058 secs

Good work Tim. Knockhill next.

Overall 3rd in the British Championship and leading the Academy Cup :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

:worthy :worthy Fantastic result Tim

Very well done indeed sir :2up

All the best for Knockhill I am sure that there will be quite a few from the board down to shout you on :wife
And to watch some other races as well ;)
fazermal
Always ahead of Trouble

Post by fazermal »

Well done Tim see you at Knockhill, home circuit kick ring piece :biggrin2
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Gazza wrote:Tim scored a 2nd at Outlon Park yesterday. Missed out on first by just 0.058 secs

Good work Tim. Knockhill next.

Overall 3rd in the British Championship and leading the Academy Cup :2up
Thanks for the update Gazza :2up well done Tim, ya dun good kiddo.