Mallory Endurance

Give us your views on the world of Superbikes
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Mallory Endurance

Post by The Rossi Kid »

Good Luck to Gixxerbabe, Claire and the rest of the "ThrottleMonkey" team.

Hope it all goes well and you bring it home for a result!!!

:cool :2up :freebird :biggrin2
blueflame
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBR1000RR
GSXR 750
Explorer 1200

Re: Mallory Endurance

Post by blueflame »

:stupid

Good luck Gixxerbabe :2up
Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Post by Lynners »

:stupid :stupid

Have fun, look forward to the report and pics :freebird
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

Joan did very, very well. Only to be expected though. :worthy

She'll be along to tell you all about it soon enough I'm sure.
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Go Girl!! :2up
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

What happened?
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Here's my report... it was a very eventful first race for me !

Arrived at Mallory on Friday night and it was freezing cold so looked like the forecast was holding out ! While everyone was in their caravans or tents I snuck off to my cozy B&B round the corner.

Arrived at the paddock at 7am to wake them all up and start unloading the bikes. Went out for the first session and it was damp and cold but the racetecs held out well and I was enjoying it. Loved Gerrards and going round the outside of everyone there, found I could get round it faster taking a wider line and cutting in the get a good drive out. Third session was dry and I went out behind Claire and Bones to get some lines although I couldn’t adjust to them, my dodgy lines just seemed to work for me. Tried loads of different lines for devils elbow and still managed to slid the back end out nearly every time, soon got used to it though I can't believe it's not butter!.

After lunch it was chucking it down with rain and hail and we had problems getting my wet wheels on so I missed my session so went out the next session with my wets on but the track was drying and it was my first ever time using wets so was a bit of getting used to. First lap and coming out of devils elbow once again my back end went but this time it chucked me out the seat, don’t know how I managed to stay on that one but after that I was a bit tentative round that corner I can't believe it's not butter!. Didn’t bother going out for the last session as would of had to swap wheels again so called it a day.

This was my first ever time at Mallory but it was easy to learn with it being so short and I really enjoyed it.

Found out my brake lines were illegal as they were both on the right hand side which is legal for Scottish racing but not English so it was mad panic trying to get brake lines. Track Craft kindly gave me a R1 brake line but our next problem was getting a double brembo banjo bolt. Couldn’t get one so the boys from RJS kindly lent me a YZFR6 master cylinder so finally got that sorted for getting the bike scrutineered in the morning.

Once again I went off to my cosy b&b and had a nice sleep J

Sunday morning was just rushing about getting stickers on the bike and getting it scrutineered, thankfully it passed. I went out first for qualifying, after 4 or 5 laps I noticed my laptimer said I did a 1m01 which I was pleased with so came in early and let Claire out. Unfortunately that time didn’t get picked up on the transponder but Claire managed to qualify us with a 1m02 and we qualified 13th overall which meant 26th when starting with the seniors and nationals.

I started the race so we had a few practice runs in the paddock as I had visions of me kicking the tail unit and knocking the bike over but it was a lot easier than I imagined. Once we lined up I was standing waiting for the flag, didn’t see it go down so just ran when I saw everyone else running, got a great start and got away quicker than most around me and then weaved in and out of quite a few bikes to end up behind Bongo, NR racing and ABH so was keeping pace with them and managed a 1m01 until I decided to go over the huge cobbles coming out of the bus stop then sliding out the rear at devils (again!) but I started making progress on them. Someone crashed at the hairpin so the safety car came out for about 6 or 7 laps so we all bunched up.

Once the car came in we weren’t allowed to pass until the start/finish line so i’m going for it, knock it up into 5th, throttle pinned then bang, all I felt was a huge impact from behind as a guy on a ZX10R hit me from behind and next thing i’m sliding down the track at about 130mph, felt like forever then my slider must have dug into the track and sent me into a crazy fast spin down the track. OUCH !!! Hobbled up and kinda collapsed over the wall beside the marshalls, I was so winded, dizzy and dazed and sore I can't believe it's not butter!. Bucko came running over to check I was ok and get the transponder from my bike.

Once I composed myself I ran to my bike and managed to get it started although it was stuck in 5th so took a few minutes to get it into 2nd then was allowed to ride back to pits off line. Finally got into pits and didn’t think they’d be able to sort my bike but everyone mucked in and were great. Even though I was in pain and thought i’d broken my finger I was determined to go back out if my bike was fixable so everyone cracked on. Big thanks to Eric, Andy, Bucko, Steve, Lily and Freak for getting it done. Claire finished her 30 minute stint but we still didn’t have a shark fin so a homemade one was stuck on and off I went. Think we probably lost about 20 minutes all in. I went out and was nearly back on pace doing 1m02s and 03s but I was really struggling as the clutch was too far out for me with my sore fingers and i’d obviously hurt my arm so my left arm muscle were going into spasms and could barely get the bike turned into the left at the esses. I stayed out for 20 mins I think but gave the signal to pit crew I was struggling so got the IN on the pitboard. The guys sorted out the clutch so I was happy to go out again. On Claires session there was a red flag and the race was stopped so that gave me some time to chill out and take painkillers. Claire went back out to finish her 25 minutes then I went out for the last 20 minutes, it was the longest 20 minutes ever as my left arm had totally seized up so when I saw the chequered flag I was so relieved.

All in, we came 6th which considering we lost so much time I think thats great, I know as long as its incident free myself and Claire can do much better and Claire did an excellent job getting out early to cover my lost time :P

Big thanks to everyone who helped over the weekend and so nice to meet all of you. Even though it was a very eventful race I cant wait for the next one. Got some excellent bruises ring piece, hip and shoulders and my finger I think might be broken has turned a nice shade of black I can't believe it's not butter!.

Aint got any pics yet but hopefully get some up soon :P
MissuzZ
Roll up, roll up.

Post by MissuzZ »

:worthy

eventful first race ... great job to finish 6th overall ... Congratulations
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

Well done, sounds like you had fun which is the main part. Good result as well. Believe me you will know if its a broken finger, you shouldnt be able to make a fist.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Well done lass :2up

keep up the good work :worthy
malphesius
Baw Bag

Post by malphesius »

Likewise Joan :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

Well done for getting back out there despite the pain and an impressive result for your first time out concidering all that happened. :2up
CazB
Chopper

Post by CazB »

:stupid

Well done Joan! :2up
jbrebel
2lb Black Ribbed Knobler
Current Ride: The light fantastic

Post by jbrebel »

Superb sounds like you had a right old time of it. Bet time flies til the next race :2up
McWullie
Armchair Biker
Current Ride: Santa Cruz Chameleon
Location: running away from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)

Post by McWullie »

Well done Hope you are not sore for long!! :2up
juls
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Black CBR 600f
CBR400rr Track Bike :s
Superfekkinduke

Post by juls »

Well done Joan :cool looks good for the next time! Shame about your sore bits :???
Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Post by Lynners »

:worthy

Excellent read Joan, superb result for your first race :2up

Look forward to the next report, hope your bruises will have cleared up by then!!
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

:2up :2up

Good stuff. (well not the crash obviously ;) )
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Wow!

Sounds like you had a ball.

Excellent race report. Looking forward to the photos (not of your ring piece BTW ;) )
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Great report :2up

Hope the pain is gone or at least diminishing !
Jinx
Kwikasfuki
Current Ride: Superstock 09 ZX6R

Post by Jinx »

Few pics from spectators... still waiting on professional pics...

Me and Claire

Me lining up for the warm up laps

Crash aftermath sequence...

Trying to get bike started

And i'm off again

Just back into pits, bike looking a bit worse for wear

Maria Costello behind me, she sent me a message on facebook saying I rode well :P
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

Good pics, nice knee sliders.
Auld Twister
Tube steak

Post by Auld Twister »

Well done, excellent result and very good lap times. :2up Pictures are good as well. Takes a great deal of courage to get up from an off and go right back out. ;)
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Fantastic. Great job making 6th the crash. Where would you have been without the lost 20 mins I wonder?

Well done! :2up
Stew
Just Passed
Current Ride: '10 Z1000

Post by Stew »

Cool.

Well done and look forward to seeing more pics later on!