Craig Shirlaw Racing 2010

Forum from the scary world or road racing!
Sheep24
Chopper
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6supertwin & super stock 675R

Craig Shirlaw Racing 2010

Post by Sheep24 »

Well this is a round up of the last quarter!
Sorry for the delay in getting my newsletters out as I have been very busy with racing and work.

Armoy Road Race
I was a newcomer to this circuit, which was started last year to commemorate the Dunlop Brothers. We arrived to a Damp field and managed to get the truck in. We set everything up and had a look round the 3.08mile circuit, which was tight, fast, and some good Jumps!

All my races were back to back!
Race 1 Supertwins: I started from 8th on the grid and went out with the intention not to drop any places. I found myself battling with Adrian Mcfarland who was on a Aprilia SXV550 which had loads of down low torque and through the mid range. I would pass him on the straights and he would pass me out of corners. We had a good close race and I finished 6th.

Race 2 Jnr Support: I started 5th on the grid and from the first corner I went hard. I was up to 4th and battling with Damien Howard, who I passed going into the last corner. I was upto 3rd and tried to Hunt down 2nd but the gap was too big.

Race 3 Snr Support: I started from 6th on the grid and I was a bit tired as all these races had been back to back. I managed to have a good steady race and finished in 5th position. The best part about the Armoy circuit was the flat out 6th gear jumps (See pic)

From Armoy we packed up and headed straight to the Ulster GP. The Fastest road race in the world with the average lap record speed on a superbike being 133.9mph!

We got the truck on to the hard standing concrete after the wet field of Armoy!

Practice: We received five newcomers practice laps and instantly you know that it’s a quick, Quick circuit! I found myself being deceived by the speed breaking to early, Tipping in and your concentration levels are heightened. I managed to get 102mph average in the practice to 105mph in the Qualifying which put me 10th on the grid for the race.

Race1 Supertwins race: I was sitting nervously on the grid and the lights went to green. Down towards the first corner is flat out in 6th gear and the Slip stream affect in unbelievable. I went into the first corner 6th and immediately went off and onto the grass as I hadn’t warmed the brakes up properly on the warm up lap! (Lesson Learned) I managed to get back on but I couldn’t see the pack that I was with, So I pulled my finger out got my head down and went for it. I managed to catch up on the riders infront and picked away finishing the race in 10th and an average speed of 107.32mph. I said I wanted to finish in the top ten and did.

Scarbourgh Gold Cup Races
I had been looking forward to getting back to Scarbourgh after the UP’s and Downs of last meeting where I broke my Knuckle.

Race 1 SS600: I found myself having handling issues with the bike and after lots of different setting we decided the shocker was goosed! I managed to finish 11th out of 30 odd riders but well off my normal pace!

Race 2 Supertwins: I started off of 6th on the grid and from the start was battling with Dave Bell. Very hard Ex-Moto X rider to pass, I finally got past at the hairpin and pulled away in 4th place and I was hunting down 3rd when the red flag went out and the race was called! So I finished 4th.

Race 3 Moto450/125GP: I had been looking forward to this all day. I thought if I could keep with any of the GP125 bikes I would be happy. From the start I had William Dunlop in my sights and tailed him for two laps and decided to pass him going into the start finish hairpin! I had a “I just passed him” Moment!! I pulled away from Dunlop and could see 3rd place man Chris Palmer Ex British 125 champion, I tried to pass him at the back of the circuit and put the bike up the inside where he cut me nose off and I sat behind him thinking “I will get him on the last lap” So I went to pass him on the last lap and Dunlop stuffed it back up the inside of me and scuppered my chances. I finished 5th. I can honestly say my best race to date!

The road race season is now finished and I have achieved all my goals to date.
Irish Road Race Championships
Supertwins: 7th
Jnr Support: 5th
Snr Support: 5th

Duke Road Race standings
I said if I could finish in the top 50 I would be happy! I finished 16th overall which I was very, very happy with!!!

I would just like to take the time to say a HUGE thank you to all my sponsors, Team and everyone who has taken the time to ask how I have got on this season.

Yours in sport
Craig Shirlaw :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Re: Craig Shirlaw Racing 2010

Post by Zax »

Congratulations Craig.
You dont get to finish 16th in the standings on your first full season with out a lot of hard work , patience, blood sweat and tears.

Hopefully you will be doing the 2011 season and move further up the listings.

all the best for the future :2up

Dave
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

+1. :2up

All the best for next year.
Borntobewild
Baw Bag

Post by Borntobewild »

Well done Craig. A brilliant synopsis of your season. Onwards and upwards.

:worthy
Christine
axoM
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda CBR1000RR, KTM Supermoto

Post by axoM »

Well done Craig, excellent result for a first season.
Hope it all comes together for next season.

All the best.

Bruce.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Great results and a good read. Well done that man :2up
stgeorge190
Direct Access
Current Ride: Swapped them all for a :PAN!

Post by stgeorge190 »

Congratulations........ well done in exceeding your goals

have you a sponsorship from aberdeenbikers?
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

well done :2up
Stew
Just Passed
Current Ride: '10 Z1000

Post by Stew »

Well Done Craig.

It's great to meet expectations - It's brilliant to exceed them!

All the best for next year! :2up
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Well done :2up Hope to see you in some races next year :cheers :freebird
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »