Pillion biking

Borntobewild
Baw Bag

Re: Pillion biking

Post by Borntobewild »

02iomtt wrote:I always tell mine not to lean into corners but instead just to go with the movement of the bike. Years ago I had one of my mates on the back and he was a right cocky know it all and he was trying to steer the bike into every corner for me which really wasn't good and you always get the odd one that sits up when you go into a corner.

As for how to hold on, I tell my pillions to put their arms round me and put their palms against the back of the tank that way I don't get headbutted so much when I'm braking and they can grab me really easy when I'm pulling away if they go a bit off balance...hope this helps.

As a pillion rider I agree there is absolutely no need to lean into corners, or anything else for that matter. Let the rider do the steering and sit back and relax. Also a good tip for the pillion to use their knees when slowing down as it stops the pillion bumping into the Rider. I'm sure you'll both do fine and like the guys say take it easy.
:freebird
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

I'm also available for taking pillions if you like. Home on Monday, live in Kingswells. :2up
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper
Current Ride: Honda CBR600RR

Post by Crazy Turbo Beast »

Love handles :2up
She also uses her knees :arse and as for signalling it consists of a big poke in the ribs when I go too fast.

I can't believe it's not butter! so important the correct use of context.

I'm also available for taking pillions out but they have to be correctly 'proportioned' and easy(going).....
abjectblitz
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Ped

Post by abjectblitz »

speedaddictedberk wrote:I've said this before but...

Give it death from the moment she's on the bike. Do drag starts and wheelies when possible, skid when stopping. If you can filter stupidly fast do it.
Burnouts at the lights that turn into wheelies will also be good.

That way you can happily ride on a bike that goes and handles like it should without having to take a pillion every time you go out. If she likes it you're stuffed!

(my wife hates bikes :2up )
Wish someone gave me that advice :log
02iomtt
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSXR 600 K1

Post by 02iomtt »

Borntobewild wrote:
02iomtt wrote:I always tell mine not to lean into corners but instead just to go with the movement of the bike. Years ago I had one of my mates on the back and he was a right cocky know it all and he was trying to steer the bike into every corner for me which really wasn't good and you always get the odd one that sits up when you go into a corner.

As for how to hold on, I tell my pillions to put their arms round me and put their palms against the back of the tank that way I don't get headbutted so much when I'm braking and they can grab me really easy when I'm pulling away if they go a bit off balance...hope this helps.

As a pillion rider I agree there is absolutely no need to lean into corners, or anything else for that matter. Let the rider do the steering and sit back and relax. Also a good tip for the pillion to use their knees when slowing down as it stops the pillion bumping into the Rider. I'm sure you'll both do fine and like the guys say take it easy.
:freebird
Thanks for that I never thought of telling my pillions to use their knees, I will in future though. Every time someone head butts me when I'm slowing I was think FFS stop it :angryfire
Neorion
Supergeek
Current Ride: VFR 800 FI
Best advice I was given
"ride for yourself and don't watch my back wheel"
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

Hey boys and girls,

Just a thanks for all the advice, I took her out yesterday for a few wee runs while we were doing messages and she loved it, I certainly noticed her on the back (a fact I vocalised in the wrong way in front of her :log ) but was a lot easier than I had thought it would be and she is that light .

Didnt do any real twisty roads though, but will do in time.

Now I just need to get her to not lean on me so much, I might sit on the back seat with her that will save my nads from the ocasional punishment (on the bike......easy now :P )

Cheers
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Zathos wrote:Tell her to get her own bike ;)

Every pillion I have ever taken on the back of the bike has never gone for a second trip :log
I'm surprised there was room to get them on even the once. ;)
Borntobewild
Baw Bag

Post by Borntobewild »

That's great glad you both enjoyed the run. Remeber to get her to use the knees, it won't stop her sliding into you, if you break too soon but it will help. Also if she is a bit road savvy, if she keeps her eyes on what's coming up she will be able to anticipate you slowing down.

Enjoy the ride :2up
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Gazza wrote:

Every pillion I have ever taken on the back of the bike has never gone for a second trip :log

Git :oops
Although it has been at least six years since I have a pillion on a bike :log
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Zathos wrote:
Gazza wrote:

Git :oops
Although it has been at least six years since I have a pillion on a bike :log

start the diet now, and it could be only six years until a pillion will fit behind you :log :log
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

I remember the first time I took the (soon to be) Mrs pillion as her bike was getting fixed.

It was the first time she had been on the back of an "Adventure Sport" bike and was trying to sit it up on the first few corners as she wasnt used the large arc of movement it has from sitting so high up - mind you I do like tipping her on her side. (the bike, not the Mrs)
Once she realised the bike wasnt going on its side she was fine
AdamR
Direct Access
Current Ride: Honda VTR Firestorm

Post by AdamR »

I found that using the anti slip stuff on the pillion seat worked really well and stopped the head buts.

I also use the love handles and that really puts her at ease which in turn makes it easier on me.

Double kidney punch if I am going too fast but usually she dosnt realise cause she cant see over me l.ol
cbr1100
Here's one I made earlier!
Current Ride: Kawasaki ZZR 1400

Post by cbr1100 »

Don't know if this helps but here are a few anyway.

1- Tell them, dont take thier feet off pegs unless the bike is stopped, in the vertical position
2- Make sure the are wearing proper PPE.
3- make sure you pick a nice day for the first run, dry roads no fog etc...etc....
4- Make sure your insurance covers carrying a passenger.......Just in case.
5- Dont ride round town centre on the first run, plan a route thats smooth and sweeping to start off.(smoother for her and safer for you till you get use to carrying a passenger
6-work out a signaling code, i use to use the tap on leg code, 1 tap chill 2 taps hold on a bit.
7- practice riding with seamless gear changes so you dont have her falling off the back when acceleration or sticking the head on you when braking.
8-advise them to move to get comfortable on the straights not as your going round a bend, this can off balance the bike and you.
9-Make sure the trousers are leather or something that tends to stick to the seat rather than sliding around on the seat.
10-if braking and she is moving forward tell her to put hands on tank to save her pushing you onto the bars.
11- as mentioned before, comms are not a bad idea.
12-love handles are ok to.
13-remember and tell her not to carry silly items in her trouser or jacket pockets like knife of scissors or anything that can stab you in a spill and keep all pockect zipped closed or she will loose whats in them, mobile phone...etc...etc..
14-get her to wear her boots and gear around the house a couple of times before going out on the bike so she gets use to the gear.
15-make sure she has earplugs, can be noisy on bikes.(even if you dont use them at first on a decent run the wind noisy can annoy and be uncomfortable.
16 -oh remember if she wear dangly earings to take them off, i saw a nasty one years ago when a girl took her lid off .

hope this helps.
Main thing is enjoy...................