Buying my 1st bike!

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Buying my 1st bike!

Post by Dave »

Ratz wrote:
cheekeyarab wrote:
Dave wrote:

is that a fact :biggrin2
we'll that is if i haven't found a taker already ;)
always better to be a giver and no a taker :biggrin2 :log
So YOU are McWullies mountain man
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

Dave wrote:
Ratz wrote:
cheekeyarab wrote: we'll that is if i haven't found a taker already ;)
only if i can share him with you and Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)? :P
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Ratz wrote:
Dave wrote:
Ratz wrote:
only if i can share him with you and Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)? :P

I will not be going anywhere near him, never have, never will

Why do you think I locked him in his boot
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

Dave wrote:
Ratz wrote:
Dave wrote: So YOU are McWullies mountain man

I will not be going anywhere near him, never have, never will

Why do you think I locked him in his boot
add sexual abduction onto your list of charges ;)
McWullie
Armchair Biker
Current Ride: Santa Cruz Chameleon
Location: running away from Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)

Post by McWullie »

Dave wrote:
Ratz wrote:
cheekeyarab wrote:
we'll that is if i haven't found a taker already ;)
WTF how did I get brought into this??

Back on topic I would go for an older bike as my first one you will learn a lot more about it and also you wont loose that much money on it when you go to sell it. Also decide what type of bike you think you will go for next ie if you think you'll go for a sports bike look at an SV 650 If you think you might go for a Naked street bike for arround town look into something like the 600 honda hornet etc.
cheekeyarab
Arse Honest

Post by cheekeyarab »

McWullie wrote:
Back on topic I would go for an older bike as my first one you will learn a lot more about it and also you wont loose that much money on it when you go to sell it. Also decide what type of bike you think you will go for next ie if you think you'll go for a sports bike look at an SV 650 If you think you might go for a Naked street bike for arround town look into something like the 600 <FONT COLOR="#FF00FF">Honda</FONT> hornet etc.

an older bike that keeps its value well, like a ktm? :P
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

Dave wrote:There is no such thing as a bad bike, just like whisky....
Sorry to go off thread, but you are joking arent you?? The Islay malts are bouf at best. I wouldnt use them to polish the floor for fear of them dissolving.

Speyside is the way to go :freebird

Err, back to the bikes...

The best bit of advice I was given was dont get a sports bike for your first / main bike. I know alot of people here would disagree with that, but the advice worked for me. (I got a B-M-W F800ST for my first bike which I thought was pretty good - and no chain to look after!! :worthy )
See if you can get a long test ride (over an hour if possible) on the bikes on your list, thats the best way to see if the bike is going to be comfy for you.
Airdy
Direct Access
Current Ride: None yet

Post by Airdy »

brooner wrote:
Err, back to the bikes...

The best bit of advice I was given was dont get a sports bike for your first / main bike. I know alot of people here would disagree with that, but the advice worked for me. (I got a B-M-W F800ST for my first bike which I thought was pretty good - and no chain to look after!! :worthy )
See if you can get a long test ride (over an hour if possible) on the bikes on your list, thats the best way to see if the bike is going to be comfy for you.
Cheers for the advice folks, Like you I was also adviced to stay away from sports bikes as a 1st bike.
Crashgoggz
Direct Access
Current Ride: '99 Honda Hornet 600.

Post by Crashgoggz »

I was in the same position last year, and after asking around and reading countless forums etc, I bought an SV650s it'd quick enough (for me) and has done everything I've asked of it. The only money I've had to spend on it is for a new tyre (£120 from steely) and looks like I'll need a new chain and sprockets too. one of the things to consider is what your gonna do with it, if your gonna do a lot of A road miles at a brisk pace then something with a fairing would be helpful. Of course if your a town rider then fairings would just add expense if you drop it.

As others have said, get a test rde on what ever you fancy and see if it suits you. (on a long run my SV hurts my back)

G
sneezey
Just Passed
Current Ride: Tiger 1050

Post by sneezey »

brooner wrote: The Islay malts are bouf at best. I wouldnt use them to polish the floor for fear of them dissolving.
Bouf? How dare you Sir!! Next you'll be telling me oyu drink your choice of malt with water..... ;)
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

sneezey wrote:
brooner wrote: The Islay malts are bouf at best. I wouldnt use them to polish the floor for fear of them dissolving.
Bouf? How dare you Sir!! Next you'll be telling me oyu drink your choice of malt with water..... ;)
Aye, just a touch of water brings out the flavour....but we can continue this in the "whisky" forum! :boozer