Odometer resets

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Odometer resets

Post by haiax0 »

I fear my lcd speedometer on the hypermotard has just shat itself for the last time. I turn the bike on and the fuel, temp, gear, speed and revs have been replaced with a bare and blank lit screen... so power is getting to the unit, but the lcd is not displaying anything. Bike is garaged and on optimate (recent new battery with in the past few months) no signs of water ingress or any other problems..

The rest of the cluster works (indicators, warning lights etc)

I fear if it can’t be diagnosed and fixed it’s a new unit in full that will be required.. which I would fear might be set to 0 miles on fitment, my question is.. has this happened to any one else?? Will dealers supplying a new odometer swap the miles from new to old?? I can’t deal with a 0 mile clock and 16k miles being on paper counterparts..

Has any one used any odometer resetting software or even companies who do this? Is this dancing with fire?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Odometer resets

Post by al »

The instrument clusters are designed to be tamper proof these days. I had a similar issue with my last Bandit. The instrument cluster failed and had to be replaced. All I could do was keep all of the paper work in order as well as supplying the original, all be it knackered, instrument cluster to the new owner.

Be sure to inform the MOT tester each time you get it tested of the additional milege to add on.

Ducati may be able to re-program the replacement cluster but that will mean having the dealer do all of the work and supply the parts.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Thanks Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian),

Sadly Ducati just shutdown and said no.. although I am sure they are just fobbing me off.. this seems a pretty big flaw not to be able to roll up the miles? full understand rolling down should not be permissible etc... furious that this seems to be the case and its half managed on paper and half on the computer.. Surely this cant be right?
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

So, I trailered the bike to glasgow Ducati who did some rebooting and disharge tests and managed to get the dash working again. I was charged £70 and sent on my way. happy bunny..

Arrive home roll the bike off the trailer and the dash was broken again! Anal Intrusion ensued... I ended up doing some homework onine and found there was a service bulletin from old for the electronics on some Hypermotard models that basically said the HT leads might surge power to the ECU and dash (worrying). The main focus of the bulettin however was on the dash though where they decided to recall some certain VIN numbers (not all) that they beleived could be effected by surges...

The resolution for the dash surge issue was to fit a bus can filter which should stop any surges.. Since my bike has full dealer history with no outstanding recalls I started to wonder why my screen fried.. I traced all the wiring and have found no such bus can filter fitted. I brought the service bulletin to ducatis attention to which they triple checked and confirmed my bike was due the recall and it indeed it had been performed by an english dealer wayyyy back when.. I have argued it is not there and Ducati glasgow have my back and are in touch with head office to try and issue a new dash, HT leads and can bus filter for free..

Really pleased with the effort Ducati glasgow techs have gone to.

will await the outcome from head office, but looking to avoid paying ££££ where I can..

The joys of a Ducati..
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Glad you are making progress and have had a positive experience with Ducati Glasgow. :2up

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Fingers crossed although I am sure Ducati Will riggle out of any financial responcibility where ever they can, stand by and I will post up what the end result was! :2up
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

In fairness, Ducati confirmed today they have picked up the cost of a new dash / spike filter / bike collection and drop off including all labour costs..

They did however scrutinise the full dealer service history aspect before approving the work to go ahead, luckily in this instance I have kept it up to date with this bike. I think it was the only saving grace in getting them to pick up this bill for a 7 year old bike.

The one and only time dealer service history has ever really mattered so it seems... Glad to see it pay something back. :2up
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Glad to hear Ducati are stepping up to get it sorted for ya mate :cool :2up