K&N Air Filter

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

K&N Air Filter

Post by blagger »

Was thinking on my next service to getting a K&N air filter purely on the fact that i can self clean it regulaly myself, so my question is as follows.....

How badly will it effect my srad 600 if i stuck a K&N air filter in the air box instead of the standard filter, keep in mind i have a race can on, BUT the carbs have NOT been rejetted, they are standard setup as far as i know...

Cheers
Zax
Derren Brown

Re: K&N Air Filter

Post by Zax »

WIth a can and a filter the bike may run lean .

It may be worth the cost of a run or two on the dyno to make sure that your fueling is ok.

Running lean can lead to burned valves and other nasty stuff.

(To put it in context, when my mille had cans (not filter) fitted and it turned onto race map It ran fine but I wanted it set up on the Dyno to make sure everyting was as it should be. With the power commander Chap at HMD had to add over 30% more fuel in part of the rev range to make it fuel right.)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

As Zax said you've got to watch out for the bike running lean. You have an SRAD so, as you said, it will be possibly need re-jetted as it runs carbs.

It's for that very reason that I've ordered a Dynojet kit for my FMX. Not sure when I'm going to get a chance to fit it but once I've done I'll definitely be wanting to get the air/fuel ratio checked out to see if it needs any further adjustment.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

How much would i be looking at to get the bike dyno jetted and where is the best place in or near aberdeen to go to get it all done
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

i would highly recomend Chap at HMD which is on the black isle. It is a bit of a run to get there but the end result is well worth it. If you go up there and you dont need any jetting done you are only going to have to pay for a dyno run. However if you go up there and your bike is way out then you may actually save yourself a big bill for an engine repair.

The only other couple of places that I can recomend is Bob Grant who is based at Knock Hill and YPE who are based just off the Edinburgh bypass at Bonnyrigg.

YPE rebuilt my R.6 engine a few years ago when my gearbox started playing up. The jetting on the carbs and set up is spot on. When my bike was run up on HMD's dyno the fueling was really good. all that was needed was a small bit of balancing.

Lots of folk have used Bob Grant over the years bit I have not personally used him.
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

cheers

i will look into it and see what sorta cost i will be looking at for the stage 1 setup
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Does Ecosse Honda still have there rolling dyno?

I know its not upto date for injected bikes, but its ok for carb bikes.
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

i did check on the dynojet website for tuning places and i think their database is a bit out of date as they still have McGowan :???
tintin
Scary biscuits

Post by tintin »

There's a bike garage 1/2 a mile from my house (down in the Borders though) run by an ex Steve Hislop & Ian Lougher bike mechanic. He's just done a cracking job on my bike but doesn't use a rolling road. Claims it never slowed his guys too much..

I've also been in to the YPE shop too cos it's just along from my work. Lots of race bikes in there and the emphasis seems to be on proper 'old school' tuning. Well respected down here and they take the job seriously.

http://www.ype-power.co.uk/html/index.php
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

so i take it nothing local to aberdeen to get my bike stage 1 dyno jetted..

anybody got a rough idea what sorta price to expect.