Stripped Thread

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: GSXR 1000 K3

Stripped Thread

Post by ElectroFunkDaddy »

Took the NC29 out for a spin in my street a couple times at the weekend, and noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the crank case cover,

Noticed the bolt was not tightend, or so I thought ! :evil , I pull out the hex nnut by hand and noticed that the bolt hole threads were rapped round the bolt like a steel wire, looks like it had been over torqued and stripped the thread.

any who, since its in quite a critical area, and oil prices what they are haha.

i dont fancy topping it up every week, , how do you repair a stripped bolt hole, I thinks it a M3 nut about

LI--------------------- this long haha.

Cheers,

Also it i just take the crank case cover off, will it just spew out oil, do i need to drain the oil 1st?

Thanks

Simon
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Re: Stripped Thread

Post by Gazza »

ElectroFunkDaddy wrote:Took the NC29 out for a spin in my street a couple times at the weekend, and noticed oil leaking from the bottom of the crank case cover,

Noticed the bolt was not tightend, or so I thought ! :evil , I pull out the hex nnut by hand and noticed that the bolt hole threads were rapped round the bolt like a steel wire, looks like it had been over torqued and stripped the thread.

any who, since its in quite a critical area, and oil prices what they are haha.

i dont fancy topping it up every week, , how do you repair a stripped bolt hole, I thinks it a M3 nut about

LI--------------------- this long haha.

Cheers,

Also it i just take the crank case cover off, will it just spew out oil, do i need to drain the oil 1st?

Thanks

Simon

If there's enough beef in the casing around the stripped thread your best bet is a heli-coil kit. Essentially you drill it out and tap it slightly larger. A heli-coil then screws into the new hole, leaving the original thread inside the coil.

Best to have somebody do it for you if you're not a dab hand with a drill and tap.

Good luck :2up
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: GSXR 1000 K3

Post by ElectroFunkDaddy »

hmm how much do you think it would to get it done?

suppose i can get it done when i take it for MOT
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

ElectroFunkDaddy wrote:hmm how much do you think it would to get it done?

suppose i can get it done when i take it for MOT

Shouldn't cost too much. It only takes a few minutes with the correct tools. Try asking around for a quote.
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Again, depending on what material there is spare, you could increase the size of the hole from the M3 size, upto M5 and re-tap the hole.

You would also need to increase the size of the hole through the crank case cover so the new bolt passes through it.