Exhaust welding..pretty urgent

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Exhaust welding..pretty urgent

Post by Backs 400 »

Bugger bugger bugger...just sorting my bike for its MOT and noticed it has a small split on the collector box..about 0.5mm wide and around 3cm long.

Anyone know a welder who could sort it....MOT booked for thursday :(
Andymo
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha Thundercat + R1!

Re: Exhaust welding..pretty urgent

Post by Andymo »

if theres a hole in it all the metal around it will be weak and it becomes very time consuming to try and fill in all the new holes that the welds create i did it not long ago on my old pipes and i spent more time filling holes than i did removing all the studs i snapped taking them off.... bought a new set of stainless ones

if theres a hole in it there will be more shortly get on ebay and get a stainless steel set :2up
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Andymo wrote:if theres a hole in it there will be more shortly get on ebay and get a stainless steel set :2up
Agreed..but i dont have a spare £150-£200 just now as I need tires too :(..just a temp fix for the MOT.

Might go for gungum...may last the 30-45 minutes an MOT takes :(
oollit
Direct Access
Current Ride: RF900R, SS50

Post by oollit »

Try some chemical metal or some of that 2 pack epoxy puty that comes in a tube, it should be better then gungum.
Should be ok for a short term fix to get you through the MOT but it will probably fall out after a few heat cycles.
Make sure the downpipes have no oil or carbon on them or it probably won't stick.
Backs 400
Late Braker

Post by Backs 400 »

Did not think of chemical metal...what a fool!!! Thanks for that..have some in the shed left over from repairing the engine cover on a CB 500. Also used it to repair small holes in my Discovery and they have been fine for 2 years!!..

Will clean up the area tomorrow since I have all the bodywork off just now...looking for an oil leak I did not have!!..d'oh!