ill daytona now all better :D

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: GSXR 1000 K3

ill daytona now all better :D

Post by ElectroFunkDaddy »

Daytona 600

quick questions , cheer for any help.

Bike is running on 3 cylinder again( a coil was replaced by shirlaws last time :) about 6 months ago )
Changed the spark plugs and it now randomly runs on 3 cyclinders ,
I think it could be a coil again , as the 1st coil outer plastic shell has spilt and so has in the inner metal shell.

but do you coils go suddenly or be off and on?

A while back , my rear lights were flickering, traced it to a snapped wired in the igntion barrel,

today, my indicators and brake lights, are randomly working, check the igntion barrel again and reinfored the solder joins etc, as one was coming loose, but they still not working.

some times they work, other times the relay makes a buzzing noise, or a weird irratic buzzing noise or nothing at all.

again do relays just completey off, or can they randomly work on off when broken?

Cheers :D
Last edited by ElectroFunkDaddy on Mon May 25, 2009 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sneezey
Just Passed
Current Ride: Tiger 1050

Re: ill daytona again ... sigh

Post by sneezey »

Electrics, why I hate being a sparkie....

Relays can get intermittant faults, but if it's buzzing some of the time when the lights Isn't working it's probably sticking, so you'll need to change it. If the coil casing is split, then you can end up with other problems in the electrics, so best to change if its split.

Good luck dude, last thing you need is dodgy bike in the good weather
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

Cheers m8

just opened the relay, looks ok in the inside, can see anything obvious, smells a bit burnt, but can see any blown resistors or capaictor
sneezey
Just Passed

Post by sneezey »

Burn smell in relay nae always good. But make sure all the external connecions are Ok, if they are a bit iffy it could lead to overheating affecting the gubbins inside. Give the external connections a good clean, buff up with the smooth side of an emery board (ask the missus/bird/both) but ca canny!! You might want to clean the realy contacts themselves, finest wet and dry you can lay hands on, and just pull a strip through the contacts 3 or 4 times really gently. Should make a difference if the contacts are dirty.
yimmit
Just Passed

Post by yimmit »

ive got a spare coil you could try to confirm its causing the misfire but by the way you described it the coil is knackerd . i had four changed by shirlaws when the bike was still under warranty but they never fitted the seals at the top of the coils so water got in and they all split like yours. when mine went they would misfire below 4000rpm then suddenly start working above that
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

ah cool yimmit, thats confirmed that im looking in the right direction . owe you and sneezy a beer.

mines is miss firing at low revs.

seem to run fine in the upper rev, made pulling away in the wet shady as hell . no power, no power , no power, wheel spinning like mad :log :log :log

I seen you other post, I have ordered 2 spares coils from fleabay, so I will see how that goes, might give you a shout about the dianotiscs tool, if im still not haivng any luck.

where about you based anyway?

majour boost thanks yimmit :D,

hmm mines had the rubber bit round the coils, just wondering if it can be siliconed round or something to add extra protection.

wouldnt like to get water in the cylinder, that would be whoring expensive fix :???
Last edited by ElectroFunkDaddy on Sun May 24, 2009 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

bummer though wont be driving my bike until i at least get the indicators and brake lights fixed, wiring diagram are confusing I can't believe it's not butter!,

at least the nc29 is almost finished . horn, reggy plate and new down pipes to fit , might use this for a while and strip down the daytona for a good spit and polish.
yimmit
Just Passed

Post by yimmit »

[quote="ElectroFunkDaddy"]
where about you based anyway?

i stay in stoney but work in tullos give me a PM
Alot of the S4 bits are similar to the daytona so could try swapping relays if you want to speed up the diagnostics
Give me a PM if you want
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

yimmit wrote:ive got a spare coil you could try to confirm its causing the misfire but by the way you described it the coil is knackerd . i had four changed by shirlaws when the bike was still under warranty but they never fitted the seals at the top of the coils so water got in and they all split like yours. when mine went they would misfire below 4000rpm then suddenly start working above that
The Triumph mechanics were told to remove the seals on the coils as they reconned water was getting trapped below the seal which was a worse place to be than no seal at all.

If it is anything like my old TT600 then the far right hand cylinder, as you sit on the bike, was always the one to go. I ended up carrying a couple of spare coils under my seat and got very good at getting the tank off.

I still have some coils in my tool box if anyone needs them. They are the same as the ones used for some GSXR's so don't pay over the odds for ones from a Triumph!

As far as the rear lights goes, the bulbs on my rear light used to only last a very short time. I ended up changing them out for LED bulbs.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

Hey yimmet,

I changed the relay, and the inidcators are still random,

I think they stop working , not long after the bike runs on 3 coils.

I did notice, when im at about 10000rpm erm in 3 or 4 the start working again?##

like sneezy said, i think the coil ,might be casusing this problem also.

I have PM Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) as if his coils are trying to get rid of are the same as mine, then it means i can get it up and running asap, rather than waiting a week for them to arrive from fleabay,
sneezey
Just Passed

Post by sneezey »

Daddy, sounds as if the dodgy coil is the cause of the lights problem, the cracks allow stray voltages to escape and cause interference. I personally wouldn't run the bike again until you get a new coil(s) in case the stray voltages damage something.

Hope you get oot n aboot again soon :2up
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

Re: ill daytona now all better :D

Big thanks to sneezy , yimmet and esp Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) for giving me those coil asap and at a descent price :worthy

Fitted new coil and the bike runs fine. took it for a short spin, indicators and brake lights were working

took it for a longer spin int he afternoon and the indicators and brake lights when wonky again.

after stripping the tank etc off again for the 5th time this weekend, I noticed the 3 connector blocks for the ignition barrel left hand gear and right gear , also sit in the same recess that must be get filled water that stuffed the coil.

looked at the plug closely and noticed that one of the connectors was green and rotten and the wire was just sitting in the block and not attached to the pin. need to get a new block connector pin, but i put a quick crimped cable in and patched it across the block for now.

All seems to good :D

Cheers guys, if theres a ABZBikers night out, I owe you a few pints.
torrybiker
Direct Access
Current Ride: suzuki gsxr 1000k4 black/silver

Post by torrybiker »

thought it was only italian eletrics that were dodgy thats shocking to hear could have ended up getting you left stranded somewhere.doug
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

tell me about it, just trying to figure out how to water proof them better and stop water sitting in that recess, or getting into the plug past the rubbers.

hmm tons n tons of grease :log :log
Last edited by ElectroFunkDaddy on Thu May 28, 2009 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

ElectroFunkDaddy wrote:tell me about it, just trying to figure out how to water proof them better and stop water sitting in that recess, or getting into the plug past the rubbers.
The only thing you can really do it to let it run for 10 minutes after you have washed it or it you have been riding in heavy rain let it run for a while after parking up.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
ElectroFunkDaddy
Baw Bag

yah i remember you saying that Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), :log :log Did that the other day (after i met you monday :2up :2up ) when i rode to work when it was raining, :log ten mintues late for work though hahaha ,