Who fits bike alarms?

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
wiz
Direct Access

Who fits bike alarms?

Post by wiz »

Looks like i need a new alarm system fitted where about in Aberdeen can i got to get an insurance approved system?
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Re: Who fits bike alarms?

Post by steve »

be very careful who you choose as a friend of mine booked his latest bike into one of aberdeens bike dealers to have a Meta alarm fitted to his bike an the price they tried to charge him can only be described as a joke :nono

make sure you know exactly how much you will be expected to pay (including labour) to get an alarm fitted to your bike an make sure its hard wired into your bikes wiring loom , an alarm should not be connected up to a bikes loom using block connectors :nono
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Call the dealers for a price. I would start with Ecosse and go from there. They fitted an alarm for me which was perfect on my R1. However Shirlaws fitted one on my ZX6R aswell, but that was when I bought the bike from them and it was fine too.

I would call Ecosse though. ;)
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Akrapovic wrote:I would call Ecosse though. ;)

well i know quite a few folks who wouldnt :nono
Ratz
Anyone for cricket?
Current Ride: Jedi Speeder Bike

Post by Ratz »

JT52 wrote:
Akrapovic wrote:I would call Ecosse though. ;)

well i know quite a few folks who wouldnt :nono
I can't believe it's not butter! my dads bigger than your dad :P

to be fair heard bad about everywhere and heard good likewise
go into the places, see what like they are, and if you feel they are ok just go with them
you will ALWAYS find horror stories even for the best places in the uk

either ecosse or shirlaws are meant to be ok but then again some people say they arent

hope that helps :evil
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

If you are fitting an alarm to get a discount on your insurance the alarm will need to installed by a certified installer who will provide an installation certificate. Check that whoever you are asking are insurance approved.

An alternative could be to go through your insurance company. The likes of Carole Nash can get you an alarm installed at a discount rate and they use mobile installers who will come to you. Good thing about that is you know that in installer is approved.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Had Meta alarms on my last 3 bikes and non have been a problem.
They are a pain in the hole though if they are set to self arm when stopped for petrol etc, as i have the alarm plipper on a lanyard which is covered by leathers when on the bike. I have the self arming de-activated, but the immobiliser still cuts in.
Advisable to fit an Optimate as well to the bikes battery..
wiz
Direct Access

Post by wiz »

Found out the problem.
I disconnect the battery when i go offshore and the alarm has its own battery which takes its charge off the main battery.
Disconnecting it so many times and not really using the bike as much as i would normally had made the alarm battery tottaly lose its charge and now wont take a charge rendering it totally usless.
Managed to remove the alarm and bridge the connections to get the bike mobile again till i get a new one fitted.
Luckily enought the new alarms dont use this system so there is no way of this happening again.
Costly learning curve eh!
I dont have mains power in my garage otherwise i would have just have plugged in my optimate.
thanks for the replys guys :2up