Bandit speedo problem, now sorted

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Andy168
Baw Bag
Current Ride: Triumph Tiger 800 & Trek 7200FX

Bandit speedo problem, now sorted

Post by Andy168 »

Need some advice about the speedo on my 600 bandit (K4)
On my way back from Portsoy this morning, the speedo seemed to pack in just outside Westhill.
Pulled over at the side of the road and when the bike came to a stand still
the speedo started to act like a rev counter when I revved up. No obvious problems like hanging cables or ‘smoke’. When I pulled away the speedo started working erratically for a few hundred yards then stopped working altogether.
Had a new front tyre fitted by Silletts about 125 miles ago could this be a cause?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

don't know how, but sorted.
Cleaned this thing, WD40'd that thing, tightened that thingy SORTED
Last edited by Andy168 on Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Re: Bandit speedo problem

Post by BIGSTEVE »

unscrew one end of the cable and pull the internal cable out, it may be that the cable is knackered which you should be able to tell just by looking at it. Mine snapped completely on a run out and took a bit a minute for the grey matter to kick in that I hadn't actually stopped (it was one of them days!). unscrewed one end cable came out in two halves.

If not it might need a new speedo thingy-majig? the bit at the wheel end ;) Speedo-drive, that's the one!

Hope this helps.
Andy168
Baw Bag

Post by Andy168 »

BIGSTEVE wrote:unscrew one end of the cable and pull the internal cable out, it may be that the cable is knackered which you should be able to tell just by looking at it. Mine snapped completely on a run out and took a bit a minute for the grey matter to kick in that I hadn't actually stopped (it was one of them days!). unscrewed one end cable came out in two halves.

If not it might need a new speedo thingy-majig? the bit at the wheel end ;) Speedo-drive, that's the one!

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the quick reply, but there seems be no cable coming from the speedo only wires.
back to the drawing board
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

All Bandits after 2000 had an electronic instrument cluster with the speedo sensor being a hall effect device from the gearbox so will have nothing to do with your tyres.

I had a similar problem with my year 2000 bandit. Both needles just kept doing a sweep of the clocks. Stuck it into Shirlaws and they came to the conclusion that it was a fault with the clocks after swapping bits and pieces from another bike. I had to buy a new set of clocks for the bike.

I'm afraid that you may have to do the same unless Shirlaws can give you any advice. If they are unsure then you money will be best spent on the new clocks rather than paying for the labour just to tell you they are knackered and then having to buy new clocks anyway.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Andy168
Baw Bag

Post by Andy168 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:All Bandits after 2000 had an electronic instrument cluster with the speedo sensor being a hall effect device from the gearbox so will have nothing to do with your tyres.

I had a similar problem with my year 2000 bandit. Both needles just kept doing a sweep of the clocks. Stuck it into Shirlaws and they came to the conclusion that it was a fault with the clocks after swapping bits and pieces from another bike. I had to buy a new set of clocks for the bike.

I'm afraid that you may have to do the same unless Shirlaws can give you any advice. If they are unsure then you money will be best spent on the new clocks rather than paying for the labour just to tell you they are knackered and then having to buy new clocks anyway.

thanks Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), only got the bloody thing service at Cupar motors last week to keep it under warranty, may phone them and see if the speedo is covered by the warranty
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Andy168 wrote: thanks Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), only got the bloody thing service at Cupar motors last week to keep it under warranty, may phone them and see if the speedo is covered by the warranty
Fingers crossed!

I ended up with a cycle computer on my bike for a while to keep it legal while the new clocks were ordered up. I did a track day on the bike while the clocks were u/s but thankfully only hit the limiter a couple of times as I was guessing the engine r.p.m.

Andy168
Baw Bag

Re: Bandit speedo problem, now sorted

Post by Andy168 »

[quote="Andy168"]Need some advice about the speedo on my 600 bandit (K4)
On my way back from Portsoy this morning, the speedo seemed to pack in just outside Westhill.
Pulled over at the side of the road and when the bike came to a stand still
the speedo started to act like a rev counter when I revved up. No obvious problems like hanging cables or ‘smoke’. When I pulled away the speedo started working erratically for a few hundred yards then stopped working altogether.
Had a new front tyre fitted by Silletts about 125 miles ago could this be a cause?

Any advice or help would be much appreciated

don't know how, but sorted.
Cleaned this thing, WD40'd that thing, tightened that thingy SORTED