Bike not starting !!!!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
bigjohn650
Direct Access
Current Ride: HD Electrolux
Yamaha fazer 600

Bike not starting !!!!

Post by bigjohn650 »

Help,!!!

I have a Kawasaki VN 1600 that won't start, there seems to be enough battery power but when I press the start button all I hear is a drrrrrrrr sound. :???

I am no mechanic, petrol in is about my limit!! Last couple of runs it appeared to have a long period of cooling down (fan running) , I then washed it down with plain water hose and it hasn't started since :(

Anyone know where I should start looking??

This forum is the best in the world by the way!!

John
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Re: Bike not starting !!!!

Post by Zathos »

Flat battery would be my first guess.

Sounds like the engine isn't turning over.

Try putting the battery onto an optimate style charger to ensure it is fully charged. If that does the trick, then you will need to look at the alternator to make sure it is charging the battery while the bike is running.

when the bike is running you should read 15V ish accross the battery terminals, anything less and the alternator will not keep the battery charged for you :2up
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Batteries need more power than you think to start an engine , if you have a multimeter check the voltage with the ignition off an check it's as it should be in the manual , for my bike it should be 12.9volts , if you've not got a multimeter just try charging your battery overnight or maybe 24 hours an try again

When was the last time your bike was running ?
stgeorge190
Direct Access
Current Ride: Swapped them all for a :PAN!

Post by stgeorge190 »

Thanks guys, I've got it on an Oxford Maximiser charging up.
Well see what that brings, I did think the battery was strong but maybe not,

Will keep you posted

Cheers
lawzer
Just Passed

Post by lawzer »

bigjohn650 wrote:Help,!!!

I have a Kawasaki VN 1600 that won't start, there seems to be enough battery power but when I press the start button all I hear is a drrrrrrrr sound. :???

John
starter solenoid?
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

If the starter solenoid makes the rapid clicking noise it tends to mean the battery needs charged as its not got enough power to turn the starter motor

If you get your bike started after charging the battery it might be a good idea to put a multimeter on the battery to test the voltage , this will let you know if your charging system on thee bike is workin ok