Exhaust Cutting

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Exhaust Cutting

Post by aisgsimon »

On the ongoing project that is my VFR when fitting new SS downpipes etc together to the correspondng 'T-piece' I can already see that the connection to the mufflers is sort of.. lobsided ie one side longer than the other. Other memebrs on the VFR forum have had similiar issues with a similiar piece. I am recovering the exhausts off the last T-piece (they were fused on good style with rust) so I can gauge the length required -that is currently at Ecosse Honda for their expert application of heat and welly!

Anyone know a local place who could chop off a cm or two of SS exhaust piping thats about 0.5 mm thick or so or know a cheap and cheerful DIY method- I can borrow an angle grinder off a pal and i have a dremel but I really have no idea what im doing with it nor do I have a suitable vice! All the SS cutters I see on fleabay are upwards of £100 and all look too small...diameter is approx 8 cm or so.

I imagine with the proper tools/knoweldge its a 5 min job but without it turns into a 3 day fix! Not having transport to get around the place is also a limiting factor so solutions would have to involve posting it or taking it somewhere in the city centre-ish area though I may be able to badger a lift from a colleauge during lunch... :hippy

its physicaly a small piece but an important part of getting my wheels back proper! Guidance/expertise appreciated! Of course, a beer or several is on offer if anyone can help... :boozer :boozer
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Re: Exhaust Cutting

Post by missile »

You need a blacksmith. There is a very good one I have used off Muggiemoss Road. Prices are surprisingly good.
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Give me a shout if you're struggling to get this sorted, I've got a beast of a bandsaw at work that would cut it like butter. :cool
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Post by aisgsimon »

RK6 wrote:Give me a shout if you're struggling to get this sorted, I've got a beast of a bandsaw at work that would cut it like butter. :cool
once I hear back from Ecosse honda about my old piece I can size it up properly- I probably will give you a shout come time-feel free to place your order in advance via PM :boozer :boozer
missile wrote:You need a blacksmith. There is a very good one I have used off Muggiemoss Road. Prices are surprisingly good.
A bit far out for me but ill keep it in mind :2up
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

aisgsimon wrote:
RK6 wrote:Give me a shout if you're struggling to get this sorted, I've got a beast of a bandsaw at work that would cut it like butter. :cool
once I hear back from Ecosse honda about my old piece I can size it up properly- I probably will give you a shout come time-feel free to place your order in advance via PM :boozer :boozer
missile wrote:You need a blacksmith. There is a very good one I have used off Muggiemoss Road. Prices are surprisingly good.
A bit far out for me but ill keep it in mind :2up
No worries, I'm out in Ellon but if you can live without it for a day or so I can easy collect it in town and drop it off once it's done. :2up