Incompatible surfaces

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Zzzz
Baw Bag

Incompatible surfaces

Post by Zzzz »

Is anyone able to expline to me what is meant by "incompatible surfaces" when iused by a technician/mechanic to describe a problem with a motorcycle engine? Apparently a standard production bike, three years old and with less than 17K miles on the clock and having been serviced regulalry by the manufacturers own service network has developed an irregular sound (the technician's words not mine) that is due to incompatible surfaces on the engine components.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Incompatible surfaces

Post by Dave »

I know of lots of incompatible things, but never heard of "Incompatible surfaces".

It would be good to know the issue
Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

Dave wrote:I know of lots of incompatible things, but never heard of "Incompatible surfaces".

It would be good to know the issue
I am told that it is not a manufacturing or assembly fault but it needs 4 new cam followers, 1 rocker arm, 1 right camshaft and 1 o-ring -

The technician agreed that the bike had been regulalrly serviced and the correct grade of oil had been used - invoices and service book were provided. No sign of off-road or misuse - in fact the previous owner had stepped the tyres.

I find it ard to believe that a major German manufacturer can be so acceopting of a fault which i was told was uncommon but not unknown.

I was looking for reliability and carrying ability - the first is out, even if I pay for the repair, there is nothing to say that it will not re-occur.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Not a term I've ever heard of, but if the surfaces are incompatible, then they would have been so since day 1. Incompatible means they are not suitable to be run against each other. I hardly belive Big Mans Wanger would be doing that unless there was a fault in the manufacture. Maybe take it up with Big Mans Wanger.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

The camshafts, cam followers and rocker arms are all made from case hardened steel. One or more of those components not manufactured to the correct hardness, will rapid premature wear.

It would appear several sub-standard components have been fitted to your engine. Mating a new to a part worn component is not good practice and I would be asking for all of those components to be changed.
Zzzz
Baw Bag

Post by Zzzz »

missile wrote:The camshafts, cam followers and rocker arms are all made from case hardened steel. One or more of those components not manufactured to the correct hardness, will rapid premature wear.

It would appear several sub-standard components have been fitted to your engine. Mating a new to a part worn component is not good practice and I would be asking for all of those components to be changed.
Now done - many thanks to John Clark, Aberdeen. They have been most helpful.