EBC Prolite Disks

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

EBC Prolite Disks

Post by al »

Has anyone out there had any experience with EBC Prolite brake disks
before? If so, what did / do you think of them?
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Oh yessss

Post by Backs 400 »

Dont touch them with a barge pole!!

I had on my CBR, felt vague, started to rust within a few weeks,and that was the carrier too, not just the disc!

I posted a note recently in my ZXR site as I need to replace my discs, and I was hoping the quality had got better. From the replies I got back it sounded as if they were worse. Several people reported that there sintered pads has actually rusted to the disk, so forming a "high spot". Another fauly was the "bobbins" seizing in place.

Not content with this, I asked the same question on Visordown. I got the same replies...steer clear etc. Most people reckon you are better off getting OE ones from a scrappy.

Things like the Stealth, PFM discs etc also got bad user reports :(. They may be ok on a race bike, but use them on a road bike inthe wet/winter and you will run into trouble.

Quote from ninja6
"Im currently using EBC prolite and im not impressed with them at all . They rusted from the word go , and have recently started to disintegrate . The rust is very bad on them , can rust up within a few hours even in the dry ( no joke ) . "

Quote from KFZ
Ive got some EBC disks and they corrode like mad, there buch worse than the OEM iron guzzi ones.

Ive never been happy with the EBC ones. "

Quote from Dangermouse
"I tried em on my Busa - They were great for about 100 miles and then went down hill. Terrible in the wet.

After about 4,000 miles they were pretty much shot. "

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :(
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

This must be a first?????????

Post by missile »

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Backs said> damn it I can't even correct his spelin :boing :oops :P
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Hi Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)........... 8)

I run them on the NC35 Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) and have had no problems with them at all.
EBC HH pads and Pro Lite discs were phucking brilant on the track (continualy out braked Gay Blade, R1 and Dukes at Magny Cours hairpin) and just as good on the road, I have them on my spare front wheel too
As to the rust, cast iron will rust but the spin off is a higher coeficent of friction. One pull of the lever and its gone any way.

I'll be back on Tuesday and if you want to try before you buy your welcome to have a go on the NC. My number is on the contact page.
Iz.
PS. Just reread backs post. I have done 10,000 kl with them, 3000kl on the track and was riding all winter, only I hose off my bike after a shity run and the bike goes to bed wet all the time, often left for more than a month, not a problem.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

I hear what you're saying Linz but speaking as someone who uses their bike to commute all year long and who only cleans the bike once a week if it's lucky, I think I'll go with the OEM disks.

I've heard similar mixed reports from the VTR list I'm in.

Unless I can get one second hand, the best price I've had for a brand new Honda part is £200 :o :(

I think I'll live with it for the time being as it's only realy noticable under heavy braking which I don't tend to do an awfull lot!

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
missile
Candle in the wind.

don't skimp

Post by missile »

Always change disks in pairs and don't f*ck about with second hand brake parts
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian),

There must be a scrappy out there somewhere (try MCN) with a decent set from a written off bike. If not then just stick with the ones you've got and try shoving an iron bar in the wheel for hard braking.

Cheers
Gazza
missile
Candle in the wind.

pound wise penny foolish

Post by missile »

springs to mind :P
Commander_Flash
Tube steak

Post by Commander_Flash »

Try Ebay aution they have loads of bike stuff :-?
Backs 400
Late Braker

Part Search

Post by Backs 400 »

You could also try part search. Calls cost a couple of quid but the response was good (phone from work..its free!!) There number is 0906 111 9999. I got 7 responses forobscure bits for the ZXR so a VTR should get loads of responses.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

When it comes to disks, as Bob says, I don't want to take a chance on second hand ones.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
missile
Candle in the wind.

Post by missile »

IMHO = Very wise owl, you can never tell whether second hand kit has been abused or more likely accident damaged surplus. If you do decide on second hand my mate John still has the Ohlins, shock brakes and wheel off a 2001 Gay Blade. I know it is all in good nick and has not been binned. It is proper race spec kit and with all the mods to springs and whatever you are planning, it could work out a cheaper option too :o :o :o
Backs 400
Late Braker

Fair comment

Post by Backs 400 »

Some breakers are breaking brand new bikes dont forget, new bits work out about 30-40% cheaper..and they are spanking new.

Good luck anyway :)
al
Mass Debater

Re: Fair comment

Post by al »

Backs 400 wrote:Some breakers are breaking brand new bikes dont forget, new bits work out about 30-40% cheaper..and they are spanking new.

Good luck anyway :)
Most of the bikes they buy new and brake tend to be ones with lots of plastic or the more popular models. The FireStorm fits into neither of these categories.
Backs 400
Late Braker

Firestorm

Post by Backs 400 »

Firestorm not popular? Saw plenty on the demo run :) There was a gorgeous Silver one with carbon lower fairing. It looked soooo good in the sun.

Still say they are one of the nicest looking bikes about just now.
Backs 400
Late Braker

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)...Fast Bike Magazine..

Post by Backs 400 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), there is someone in Fast Bike magazine selling off some rather tasty stuff for a Firestorm. Ohlins front and rear ends plus standard brake disks. He is wanting £50 for the pair. Says they are new..might be worth a phone call??