Caliper servicing or replacement

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
Current Ride: 1979 DT175MX
1987 Big Mans Wanger K75S
1981 GP100
2005 Jianshe JC90 Dax copy with Lifan 125 motor
Location: In the garage, looking for that 2.65 valve shim I just dropped..

Caliper servicing or replacement

Post by Cossackmannie »

After cleaning and unsiezing the front calipers on my ZZR1100 for the second time in 6 months (common problem with the Tokico's on these bikes although I was doing it anyway after the fork seal blew fluid down the leg and contaminated the pads), I've decided either to get someone to refurb the calipers properly or change them for a different type from another make/model of bike.
Any recommendations for a local place that'll refurb them?
OR Any suggestions on replacements?

A'body's input greatly appreciated.
Ian
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Caliper servicing or replacement

Post by al »

How are you cleaning the pistons?
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
1981 GP100

Post by Cossackmannie »

Toothbrush and brake fluid.Then clean cloths and a smear of fresh fluid before pushing the pistons back in.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Ok then, sounds like some of the dirt has worked its way into the calliper and down to the o-ring seal between the calliper body and the piston. What tends to happen there is that the dirt then gets into the groove that the o-ring sits in which then makes it grip against the wall of the piston. You may be able to push out the pistons, remove the o-rings and clean out the groove with something like a brass pick (softer metal than the body of the calliper).

While you have the pistons out then it would be worth fitting new o-rings & seals. Most manufacturers sell kits for the job.

That's why I say to folk to clean their pistons every 6-12 months regardless of the age of the bike which can prevent the dirt getting into the calliper in the first place. When fitting new pads to a caliper it is imperative that you clean the pistons first! The pistons will have been extended out of the caliper with the worn pads, in order to fit the new pads you have to push the pistons back into the caliper so it only takes a few minutes to calipers before do it.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Post by Sgoaty »

I fitted the 6 pots from the GSXR 1000K1-k2, GSX1400 but you could also fit the four pot calipers from a K1-K3 GSXR750. You do need to use different bolts and or spacers but its easily done.
Hope this helps
Scott
Cossackmannie
Indeed!
1981 GP100

Post by Cossackmannie »

I've decided to get a set of GSXR600/750/1000K2-4 calipers instead as the cost of a total rebuild would be over £100 including pistons which are badly corroded and seals. I already have the shouldered bolts ordered in readiness.
Both sets of calipers I have look like they have had a hard life before I even got the bike and they would likely need even more attention the more use they get.

Cheers Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) and Scott for the input.

Ian