Battery Probs

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Re: Battery Probs

Post by The Rossi Kid »

Triumph battery shizzle! Had to replace the 675 one last week. 12month old!
garymitch
Mr Angry

Post by garymitch »

come boys play nice. sugr1 is a top bloke and yes he has problems spelling but there is no need to take the piss out of him for it. its not his fault the way he is. im sure none of you boys are perfect. im certianlly not.
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

garymitch wrote:come boys play nice. sugr1 is a top bloke and yes he has problems spelling but there is no need to take the piss out of him for it.
Easy Tiger, tis not mocking Gus. Merely quoting the jolly words of Monty Python :hippy

http://www.mwscomp.com/movies/brian/brian-12.htm
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

garymitch wrote:come boys play nice. sugr1 is a top bloke and yes he has problems spelling but there is no need to take the piss out of him for it. its not his fault the way he is. im sure none of you boys are perfect. im certianlly not.
Neither am I Gary which is why I use Firefox, if you download and install it, then down load the add on dictionary, everything that is misspelt on your computer from then on ends up with a wee row of red dots under it........... whether or not Firefox is in use. Word, Excel, Notepad, MSN, etc all are auto corrected for you, just right click on a word that is underlined in the red dots for the correct spelling.
Taz
Tube steak

Post by Taz »

Fa's going doon to install it for him?
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

The Rossi Kid wrote:Triumph battery shizzle! Had to replace the 675 one last week. 12month old!
That is usually a sign of something else unless you were unlucky to somehow get a dodgy battery in the first instance.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Crazy Turbo Beast
Chopper
Current Ride: Honda CBR600RR

Post by Crazy Turbo Beast »

Two things that batteries don't like are temperature fluctuations and irregular charging cycles, both of which vehicle batteries get. Hence why battery life is as short as 3-5 years in cars/bikes when the same type could last 10-20 years in good conditions.

Anyways I read through your post and don't think anybody pointed out that batteries discharge themselves when not connected to anything, due to internal cell resistance. So with the bike in situ it will be draining slowly when not in use. If the battery is near the end of its life it won't hold a charge for very long and won't recharge easily.

From what you said it sounds like this may be the case and the trickle charge you did before just put enough energy into the battery to get it going and then the alternator did the rest.
Bike batteries are small(in Ah) so therefore cheap(?) and easy to replace so why not do that and see if it solves the problem?

Its very difficult to measure capacity of sealed batteries as you cant get to the electrolyte to measure the specific gravity so its just guess work watching the voltage fall off. You could hook it up to a 50W lamp circuit and time it until the light is very dim (again judgement). So for every minute its on multiply by 0.07, eg 60 minutes gives you 4.2Ah. Compare that to your battery rating (eg 6Ah) and that is a rough way of doing it.
SugR1
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1, xj900 ttr600

Post by SugR1 »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Grant wrote:That took me absolutely ages to read and understand! Worst case of spelling I've ever seen!
Give him a break, ha has bad Dyslexia. Image

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ).
ta boss apreciate it. also got some one here to help with big words just now
Tyke
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Triumph Tiger 800 XC

Post by Tyke »

Turns out it was a shagged battery........on the plus side, I got a loan of an ER6 from Shylocks and despite not liking it for the first few miles, once you wring its neck - what a hoot! :boing over to the lecht, and round the twisties, it's a blast!
phatkat
Baw Bag

Post by phatkat »

Just a small point...would I be right in saying that any reading taken after a bump start would be confusing due to an alternator having self exciting diodes...ooer...therfore they require power to produce power and if the battery is flat then the alternator will produce very low voltage?

G...