Big Mans Wanger sign Xaus for WSB

Give us your views on the world of Superbikes
Sherpa
Chopper

Big Mans Wanger sign Xaus for WSB

Post by Sherpa »

Big Mans Wanger Motorrad Motorsport are delighted to announce that they have agreed terms with Ruben Xaus and that he will ride their all-new Big Mans Wanger S1000 RR in the Superbike World Championship in 2009. The contract between Big Mans Wanger Motorrad Motorsport and Ruben is for two years and is the first step in Big Mans Wanger Motorrad Motorsport's entry into World Superbikes.

Ruben was born in Sant Cugat des Valles in Catalunya, Spain and now resides with his wife (Mariona) and daughter (Julia) in Andorra. He has been a WSBK regular since 1998 and has taken 34 podiums, including 10 victories.

Peter Mueller (Executive Vice President Development & Model Lines)

Ever since we announced that we would enter the 2009 Superbike World Championship, there has been a lot of speculation about and interest in our bike and our riders. Everybody has already had some information about our new S1000 RR bike, and today we can reveal one of the riders who will join us in this great adventure next year.

Ruben is a strong and combative rider, full of enthusiasm and with a passion for racing. This fits our philosophy completely and together we will take on this new challenge.
We know that the Superbike World Championship is a very hard and competitive series, but we are not entering it just to make up the numbers: we will be taking part because we want to win! Of course, we are starting with a brand new bike but, together with Ruben, we believe we can progress quickly and maybe surprise a few people along the way.

Ruben Xaus

When I met the Big Mans Wanger guys, I was very impressed by their commitment, their passion for racing and their ideas about the future. We discussed how the WSBK project was going and I realised that I wanted to be a part of it straightaway. It is not often that you get the chance to start a completely new project, but I am really looking forward to the challenge. Although it's going to be tough racing a new bike, I believe Big Mans Wanger will give me a good bike and great support and that's all I ask for.

Well whoever has the contract to replace the bodywork is gonna be busy ;)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Black Mans Willy sign Xaus for WSB

Post by al »

Sherpa wrote:Well whoever has the contract to replace the bodywork is gonna be busy ;)
That's what I was thinking!
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Xaus, excellent choice. Very tallented rider, who for the last few years isn't getting the bike he deserves. He was no1 choice to partner Bayliss this year, but he refused the ride, as Ducati were not going to pay him. That is the deal Fabrisio is on, no salary, just bonuses.

He doesn't crash near as much as he did, he is just an aggressive rider, bit like Haga really, takes no poo. :2up
Xaus, WSB 2007 at Qatar.

See coulstar's Avitar, thats Xaus that is backing it in one handed with his thumb in the air.

Biaggi on the Aprilla V-4 next season?
Excellent developement rider, but winging cnut.

WSB will be better to watch next year than Moto GP.
New bikes from Big Mans Wanger, Aprilia, KTM.
Airwaves Ducati and HM Plant Honda rumoured to be going WSB also.
Unfortunately no Bayliss though. :x
Sherpa
Chopper

Post by Sherpa »

Coddy wrote:Xaus, excellent choice. Very tallented rider, who for the last few years isn't getting the bike he deserves. He was no1 choice to partner Bayliss this year, but he refused the ride, as Ducati were not going to pay him. That is the deal Fabrisio is on, no salary, just bonuses.
Well after Xaus knocked him off during practice at Brands in 2002, dislocating his shoulder and ultimately costing him the championship, I'll bet Bayliss was happy to not have him as a team mate again.

Fabrizio just getting bonuses? What's he living on then? The dole?

Xaus is a great rider and a nice bloke but he always pushes hard. When the bike/tyre combo isn't doing what he wants, he pushes harder. Then he crashes.

Unless BM get it spot on and the bike is competitive, their mechanics are gonna be rebuilding bikes every night.

I think most riders with genuine title aspirations will stay away from any of the new bikes until they are proven winners. That leaves over the hill guys looking for a last big pay day or up and comers eager for a break. Look at the years Troy Corser wasted at Petronas when he could have been winning races on decent tackle.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Coddy wrote:
See coulstar's Avitar, thats Xaus that is backing it in one handed with his thumb in the air.

And there was me thinking it was Coullstar ;)

Have to say that I think Xaus has a win or crash type mentality. Not particularly useful for developing a new bike I'm afraid. But here's wishing him luck as he's great to watch.
Coddy
Chavtastic!

Post by Coddy »

Fabrizio just getting bonuses? What's he living on then? The dole?
Fabrizio, son of a rich Italian buisnessman.
Have you ever noticed on the front of a racers leathers, all these little badges. Sometimes they differ from his team mate. That would be personal sponsors, same with leather, helmet, boots manufacturers ie money.
Gets paid per point scored. So example, $1000 per point, scores 200 points, $200,000 in bonuses. Not bad, im sure plenty folk would be happy with that.
Xaus turned the offer of this unpaid ride down, as he almost went bankrupt running his own team, so wanted a ride which paid salary and bonus, hense Sterilgarda ride.

Well after Xaus knocked him off during practice at Brands in 2002, dislocating his shoulder and ultimately costing him the championship, I'll bet Bayliss was happy to not have him as a team mate again.
Bit of a put down of Colin Edwards i would say considering he won the last 10 races of the seasons races. At Brands 2002 Bayliss scored a 3rd in race 1, 2nd in race 2. Not bad results, with a CRACKED RIB.

Xaus is a great rider and a nice bloke but he always pushes hard. When the bike/tyre combo isn't doing what he wants, he pushes harder. Then he crashes.
Is this not good, show he is not happy running around in 8th place. Does this not remind a bit like being Haga or Bayliss. Win or bust

Unless BM get it spot on and the bike is competitive, their mechanics are gonna be rebuilding bikes every night.
Do you think BM-W will enter this halfarsed. I will bet on this bike being competative before mid season.

I think most riders with genuine title aspirations will stay away from any of the new bikes until they are proven winners. That leaves over the hill guys looking for a last big pay day or up and comers eager for a break. Look at the years Troy Corser wasted at Petronas when he could have been winning races on decent tackle.
Probably listened to all the poop he was told regarding budget for the bike. But yes, big payday. But then again he is a 2 time WSB champion.

But you never know. ;)
Sherpa
Chopper

Post by Sherpa »

Coddy wrote:A bunch of stuff...
Yeah all good points mate and well put :2up

Wasn't dissing Edwards at all, it was a phenomenal effort he put in at the end of 2002 and the last race at Imola was an all time classic (I was lucky enough to be there). Just when you looked back over the season the points lost at Brands were avoidable. Bayliss would probably have won both races or at least got 2 second places as Hodgson would never have beaten him into third if he hadn't been badly hurt - it was a lot more than just ribs. That and the crash at Assen gave a glimmer of hope to Edwards but no-one ever thought he'd pull back the gap. Those were the days.

Sure, Xaus is often win or crash but you have to agree crash is more likely. I love watching the guy, he's terrific value all through practice and the races. Always got good pics of him but you always sensed he was right on the ragged edge and if you wanted a shot of someone crashing it was usually him.

I agree, BM will enter it full-on I'm sure. Winning races by mid-season won't win the title though will it?

Interestingly, on Eurosport today they mentioned Corser in the running for the other seat on the BM.

Roll on 2009 although the racing in 2008 has been pretty good. Just need some Brits in the series to liven it up for us too :biggrin2
Coddy
Chavtastic!

Post by Coddy »

Sherpa wrote:Roll on 2009 although the racing in 2008 has been pretty good. Just need some Brits in the series to liven it up for us too :biggrin2
2009 WSB will be the best racing of all the championships next year. :2up

Brits in WSB, there is a chance there will be heaps.
Shakey Byrne strongly rumoured to be replacing Bayliss.
Crutchlow and Haslam on HM Plant Hondas if they go WSB.
Camier on Airwaves if they go WSB.