Im a bit special, help me!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Im a bit special, help me!

Post by RK6 »

Well, I've successfully managed to mess up the simplest of tasks (one which i've done plenty of times before :oops )

Went to change the front brake pads on the Storm to shiny new sintered's for selling the thing (making sure it's tip top condition before parting company)

Somehow managed to round off the allen key retaining pin that holds the pads on the left caliper! :oops

NO idea what the best way to get it out is and TBH don't want to try it myself (as above, Im a bit special :log )

Can anyone spare some time to get the farking thing out???

Muchos beer/wine on offer to the person that successfully removes the bolt (without destroying anything)

Cheers in advance :2up
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Re: Im a bit special, help me!

Post by Newbus »

Could try drilling edges of allen head one at both side enough to make a slot to fit flat screwdriver head across both side to get good grip with driver Gay Blade. Ideally if you use impact driver that will also help to try and remove it.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Trythis if the Newbus idea fails.......

I'm assuming this is one of the large allen bolts that hold the caliper on (probably about 8 or 10mm). In which case you could try drilling away the head. Use a drill that is the same size as the actual bolt (ie 8 or 10mm), thereby drilling through the centre of the head. At some time, the head will come away and run up the drill bit. After removing the caliper, you should be able to remove what's left of the bolt with stilson type tool. Make sure you apply plenty of releasing oil first and allow it to soak. Note that a dedicated releasing oil is better than WD40.

If all else fails, we bit of heat shouldn't go amiss.

Good luck.
moose
Direct Access

Post by moose »

The head of the retaining pin is inset into the caliper (on the FireStorm usually covered with a crappy black "button" with a screw head in it).

His best option is to try and get some mole grips on the shaft of the pin between the where the pad backing plates are. Carefully spray some WD40 into where the threads are before hand and leave to soak.

The torque for tightening the pin is "feck all" and usually made extra hard to come out due to salt ingress over the winter. When you replace the pu make sure to use plenty of copper grease on the threads and just nip up both the retaining pin and the "button" cover.
SugR1
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1, xj900 ttr600

Post by SugR1 »

no no greet or slot it with dremil then inpacket driver so fuckin hard to drill stud in the centere well one of high tensele like that one an in alloy to
moose
Direct Access

Post by moose »

Ore failing any of the above then you might get lucky and the likes of Blackstorm may have a left hand caliper left over from his old storm?
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Try a slightly larger Imperial Allen key, might give you enough purchase.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Knock the 6 edges of the hole that is rounded off with a sharp centre punch, then hammer the Allen key into the pinched hole, best if you can use an Allen socket, if you don't have one, make one, cut the long straight part off just before the bend, then use a socket and ratchet on the cut long part. It is a lot easier to hammer in the Allen key this way. The hammering will also help to loosen the tight thread.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

Coddy wrote:Try a slightly larger Imperial Allen key, might give you enough purchase.
:2up That will work too, again use an Allen socket and an extension bar to save bashing your fingers. :log
Toonser
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: YER MA!!

Post by Toonser »

I thinks I've got a blow torch if you need some heat Rowan :2up
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

RK6 how is this progressing is it oot yet.

If you have to use heat a good way is get a nut with a centre slightly smaller than the head of the allen screw and get someone to mig weld through the centre of the nut on to the allen head.This heats the allen bolt and gives you something to lever with.
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

Newbus wrote:RK6 how is this progressing is it oot yet.

If you have to use heat a good way is get a nut with a centre slightly smaller than the head of the allen screw and get someone to mig weld through the centre of the nut on to the allen head.This heats the allen bolt and gives you something to lever with.
To be honest, im not gonna even attempt it! :oops

I don't know any welders, I have very limited tools and really don't want to fark the caliper!

Im gonna put it into the Honda garage (to be safe) Im trying to sell this thing so it needs to be spot on! :roll

I have tryed making a groove in the allen head to use a flat headed screw driver but unfortunately to no avail!

I don't want to have to heat it up, blowtorch on my brake caliper? NO THANKS! :eek

Especially not if it's me that'd be doing the torching!

Hopefully Stuart (Honda) wont be too busy this evening (around 4) so I can get it sorted!

Cheers for all the tips folks, if I wasn't in the middle of selling the thing I would of taken your advice and had a (proper) go at it myself! (With the whole I f*cked it so I'll fix it type thinking)

Anyway, all is good in the hood :2up
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

moose wrote:Ore failing any of the above then you might get lucky and the likes of Blackstorm may have a left hand caliper left over from his old storm?
Fraid not All I've got left of my old storm is a broken right hsnd mirror but I doubt if thats any use. ;)
moose
Direct Access

Post by moose »

moose
Direct Access

Post by moose »

Item number: 160187860803