Clutch wont Disengage if bike has been sitting over night

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Clutch wont Disengage if bike has been sitting over night

Post by blagger »

So my main question is what would be causing the clutch not to disengage when the bike has been sitting for a while like over night or even more over a few days.

i'm a nightmare with trying to explain stuff... but here goes.......

1. When i got the '97 SRAD, the clutch was dragging, even when the clutch lever was pulled right into the bar grip.

2. I adjusted the clutch to stop the dragging via the worm screw on the push rod and the cable adjusters.

3. Since adjusting the clutch the drag has stopped and there is no slip. but if the bike has been sitting for at least over night or for a few days the clutch seems to stick to engaged when i first start the bike up. you can pull the lever and the cable will push the worm screw on the push road but the clutch doesn't disengage.

4. if i put the bike in gear and push forwards or back with clutch lever pulled it you can feel the clutch has not disengaged from the engine as you can feel the compression.

5.1. after pushing the back and forth, i will start the bike again and pull the clutch and put it in first, where at this time now, the clutch has seemed to of freed up with me rocking while pulling and releasing the clutch in first with engine off.

5.2. If i adjust the clutch anymore to try and compensate for the problem with clucth will at first start it will start slipping on hard acceration. but as i said onced freed up the clutch is fine, doesn't seem to drag or slip

6. Ever since i adjusted the clutch, there seems to be a rattle like sound at lower RPM, you mainly notice it when u blip the throttle and hen the rpm starts to drop u hear it then. its like something is loose. hard to discribe, something like a washer vibrating and rattling if a nut hasn't been tighten up full. i don't really notice as much at higher rpm.

Cheers for your time
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Re: Clutch wont Disengage if bike has been sitting over night

Post by IZINBARD »

May be water in the oil, when was the last time you changed it?

Try tie wrapping the clutch lever in, over night. See if it helps the next morning.
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

i haven't had the bike for long, but from the oil it looks like i needs a change so i will do that soon but there is no trace of any water in the oil as its black and not milky like it would turn if there was water in it. i will have a try of the idea of pulling the lever in over night to see what happens in the next day....
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

It may be that it sat for a long time before you got it, if so you might have water in bottom of sump, if the bike is not run up to temp and kept there for several hours it is likely to stay in liquid form and not emulsify (milky white), Try dropping the sump plug and letting out the first 1/2 pint or so into a largish diameter container, water will show up very clearly but don't let too much out or you might not be able to see it.
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

The previous owner did say the bike had been sitting for a while and on another forum someone said if it had been sitting it would prob free up with a good few runs. since getting the bike i've done about 180 miles but seems no improvement from it sitting over night.. i think i will give it a well needed oil change and i will also check the clutch plates / springs and clutch basket as well as replacing the clutch cable to see if that will help any...

cheers :cheers
dude900
Baw Bag

Post by dude900 »

180 miles in ten months ... :nono you need to use it more often
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

dude900 wrote:180 miles in ten months ... :nono you need to use it more often
l :P aye as if lmao only got the bike the other month....