Help for post-crash jitters

celtfi
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSF 400 Bandit

Help for post-crash jitters

Post by celtfi »

Does anyone have any tips on getting my 'motorbike mojo' back following a horrific crash a wee while back?
Or is there an instructor out there who would be willing to give a couple of 'confidence lessons'?

I've been biking for years and have been out loads of times since the crash but I thought things would have improved by now. Maybe I just need more time.

Would love to hear comments from people who have been in similar situations.

Cheers folks
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Re: Help for post-crash jitters

Post by The Rossi Kid »

You probably know it but miles are what's needed, time in the saddle. I'm due home on Wed (Ash permitting) and i'd be up for some runs if you're keen? Evening or day, just pm or post up. I'm not an instructor but i've done my IAM course and like to think i've got a rough idea of what's going on. At the very least it will be some company while you get the miles in.
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Defo get some miles done. It can leave you a bit "nervy" after a prang, but jump back on and take a few steps back and you will be sweet.

Keith Henderson - Ecosse advanced (or something like that) is a great guy and would be able to help.

Be warned though, his jokes are p1sh!! :log
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

I agree with Matt (The Rossi Kid) - miles under your belt is what you need to get your confidence back.

You would be a fool to pass up his offer of a run with him. Following him, watching his lines on approach to hazards and corners will get your confidence back in no time!
brooner
Mr Lobsterfish
Current Ride: StigBike

Post by brooner »

Grant wrote:I agree with Matt (The Rossi Kid) - miles under your belt is what you need to get your confidence back.

You would be a fool to pass up his offer of a run with him. Following him, watching his lines on approach to hazards and corners will get your confidence back in no time!
+1 - Matt is very good and will give some positive advice.
celtfi
Direct Access
Current Ride: GSF 400 Bandit

Post by celtfi »

Thanks to all for your advice. I've been intouch with someone who may be able to help.

Thanks for your offer Matt, I really appreciate it and hope you're not offended that I haven't taken you up on it. (Hope you won the 'battle' with the ash cloud!)

I'm sure as I clock up the miles my mojo will return.
lemmyhendrix
Direct Access
Current Ride: Crashed and wrote of my GSX1100F. No bike for now

Post by lemmyhendrix »

Good topic to discuss this one. I too had a pretty bad smash on 22nd June. Strong gust of wind blew me in to the side of a horse box at 60'ish. Result, 5 breaks in right lower leg below knee, knee cap split in half, massive loss of skin, blood infection, knackered bike and shattered pride.
Anyway, I've been keenly keeping an eye on the answers given in this topic as I too am pretty much bricking it when the time comes to mount up again. The crash plays on my mind a lot but I feel I owe it to myself to get back on it as soon as possible.
My own plan is to take a few "lessons" again to address some concerns I have about my skill and basically have that soothing voice on the intercom telling me "there there....you'll be ok". I agree with the other posts that miles are what's needed but I hope that the mistake I made leading to my crash actually makes me a better rider.
If none of the above works, going to book myself in with the local psychologist and get some therapy.
Be safe everyone, I'm now a lot more sensitive to other reports of bikers crashing. Suppose it happens to the best of us. :freebird
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

As said by others....get miles on the bike

The novice runs would be good for that...all sensible riding, keeping to the posted speed limit (as always !), get into the middle of the group, then you won’t have cars getting up your back.
kennybhoy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 A2 & XT660X

Post by kennybhoy »

lemmyhendrix wrote:Good topic to discuss this one. I too had a pretty bad smash on 22nd June. Strong gust of wind blew me in to the side of a horse box at 60'ish. Result, 5 breaks in right lower leg below knee, knee cap split in half, massive loss of skin, blood infection, knackered bike and shattered pride.
Anyway, I've been keenly keeping an eye on the answers given in this topic as I too am pretty much bricking it when the time comes to mount up again. The crash plays on my mind a lot but I feel I owe it to myself to get back on it as soon as possible.
My own plan is to take a few "lessons" again to address some concerns I have about my skill and basically have that soothing voice on the intercom telling me "there there....you'll be ok". I agree with the other posts that miles are what's needed but I hope that the mistake I made leading to my crash actually makes me a better rider.
If none of the above works, going to book myself in with the local psychologist and get some therapy.
Be safe everyone, I'm now a lot more sensitive to other reports of bikers crashing. Suppose it happens to the best of us. :freebird

Hi mate. I've had many crashes over the years. Some my fault and some not. I always get back on at the earliest opportunity. I know what you mean about "bricking it" for when the time comes but when you get back in the saddle that disappears after a few comfortable rides.

Sounds like you have worse injuries than I have ever had and your confidence has taken a knock.

Good luck

:2up
lemmyhendrix
Direct Access
Current Ride: Crashed and wrote of my GSX1100F. No bike for now

Post by lemmyhendrix »

Cheers Kenny for the words of wisdom and encouragment. What does help a lot I think is the community of fellow bikers sharing their stories, therefore letting you know that you are not the only one. I personally know a couple of guys whose injuries were worse than mine but got back on it again. Seeing others do it is helping me personally a lot, I hope it helps others in the same boat.
My injuries will heal if all goes to plan in about 18 months or so and I am using this time to psyche myself up to get back to my passion. The only stumbling block is the objections of my wife and kids. The cops were good enough to give them the gloomiest description of the accident possible, told in the most negative manner. Instead of "look, he's ok but a bit bust up" it was "bloody hell, he's lucky to be alive". Some people are just born pessamists!
Anyway that's enough of me hijacking this thread. Good luck to everyone in the same boat as me, both now and in the future. Maybe we should start our own support group....that's not a joke but a serious suggestion.
Steve
D3LS M
Late Braker

Post by D3LS M »

lemmyhendrix wrote:Good topic to discuss this one. I too had a pretty bad smash on 22nd June. Strong gust of wind blew me in to the side of a horse box at 60'ish. Result, 5 breaks in right lower leg below knee, knee cap split in half, massive loss of skin, blood infection, knackered bike and shattered pride.

hey dude, what's the reason you don't post on the DBF now ? Wife no let ye :log
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

Have been riding on n off (pun not intended) for years, since I was 16.
I'm now 45 (how the ferk did that happen :confused )

Over that time I've broken pretty much everything, 95% (with hindsight) my fault, too fast, wrong place, wrong time, red mist coming in, being a biff.

But, after some time away, I miss riding my bike. and tend to meander my way back to bike ownership and riding again.

As I get older, I have unquestionably become slower both in reaction time and actual road speed. To be completely honest, my enjoyment has not really diminished as the road speed has come down.
Think the best thing to do is spend time with "Sticky" and learn more. Learning more will allow you to make better informed decisions about "appropriate" speed and positioning.
Knowing more, makes things more fun. and at the end of the day, I ride as it's fun.
Sometimes it's fun at 10 mph (riding past the harbour pubs in Stoney), sometimes it's fun at 60 mph on a genteel run for a bacon buttie in the deeside.

Don't "push" yourself back to bike riding, get back on when you want to and not before. having to be a "biker" makes it a "lifestyle choice" and frankly, life is about more than "style".

make deliberate, reasoned, risk assessments as to what you are doing, this is more risky than driving a cage. Don't kid yourself here, if you cant do the time, don't do the "crime".

A final thought (reasonably seriously)
and you have to think about this one:
Is "biking" worth dying for?
Is life worth living without it?

your call.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

airwave wrote:Have been riding on n off (pun not intended) for years, since I was 16.
I'm now 45 (how the ferk did that happen :confused )

Over that time I've broken pretty much everything, 95% (with hindsight) my fault, too fast, wrong place, wrong time, red mist coming in, being a biff.

But, after some time away, I miss riding my bike. and tend to meander my way back to bike ownership and riding again.

As I get older, I have unquestionably become slower both in reaction time and actual road speed. To be completely honest, my enjoyment has not really diminished as the road speed has come down.
Think the best thing to do is spend time with "Sticky" and learn more. Learning more will allow you to make better informed decisions about "appropriate" speed and positioning.
Knowing more, makes things more fun. and at the end of the day, I ride as it's fun.
Sometimes it's fun at 10 mph (riding past the harbour pubs in Stoney), sometimes it's fun at 60 mph on a genteel run for a bacon buttie in the deeside.

Don't "push" yourself back to bike riding, get back on when you want to and not before. having to be a "biker" makes it a "lifestyle choice" and frankly, life is about more than "style".

make deliberate, reasoned, risk assessments as to what you are doing, this is more risky than driving a cage. Don't kid yourself here, if you cant do the time, don't do the "crime".

A final thought (reasonably seriously)
and you have to think about this one:
Is "biking" worth dying for?
Is life worth living without it?

your call.
Ditto. I guess there's plenty of the old fart brigade that would agree with that lot.

When I was a young loon I used to crash on a regular basis. I was lucky, even though the bikes were slower, the protective gear was a lot less effective. As you get older, you either slow up or you're laid up (waiting on repair). The good news is that with age you learn to ride faster in a safer manner.

Had my last serious crash back in 1984 when another old fart decided he'd take my road space. That was in the days when I was naive enough to think that having right of way meant I would get it. Taught me a lot that crash and changed my riding style dramatically. No matter how good you think you are, you should only drive to the ability of all the other plums on the road. That little piece of advice, may even reel you back into your own ability sphere. A hospital bed (or worse a coffin) is not the best place to realise this.

Have only had one other crash (on road) since that time and that was my fault due to running in a new set of boots too quickly in damp conditions.

I love riding and I love riding anything. Over here, I only have an off road machine as the roads are too straight and too busy to justify the purchase of a decent road bike. Having said that, I frequently borrow a friends 250 scooter and still have a ball.

Ride to live so that you can live to ride. :2up