ZZR 600

stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

Just picked my Kawasaki ZZR 600 (2000 Plate) up today. First impressions bit slugish on take off(could be because is my 1st big bike), but once get going just wants to keep pulling. I will admit I was kacking it when pulling out of show room. Front brake seems a bit of pressure to start braking but is stopping, braided lines prob sort this out I think. Generally very enjoyable to ride and loves to keep running through the gears and just wants more. 1 or 2 mistakes such as turning reserve switch to off instead of on( 3 points on switch as follows reserve-off-on) Feeling bit unconfident and shakey for 1st few hours but started to relax to it just as I got home. It hasnt been past 40 mph as was only town driving but going out of town tomorrow so see how it goes. Think the bike is up to the job I just need to push and get my confidence up. All in all good bike around town and reasonably easy to handle. If any one has any views and opinions feel free to mention :cheers
meepmeep
Mass Debater
Current Ride: ι ∂ση'т ¢αяє ωнαт уσυ тнιηк αѕ ℓσηg αѕ ιт'ѕ αвσυт мє

Re: ZZR 600

Post by meepmeep »

Excellent choice for your first 'big' bike. Reliable, forgiving throttle and very planted.

Suspension is the key for this bike, get it cranked hard at the back, mine seemed to prefer that and handled with less diving/wallowing.

If it has the double cans, look at getting an aftermarket setup with just one, saves lots of weight although you may have to lose the centre stand(no big deal).

As with any bike, get decent tyres!

Enjoy.
:2up
airwave
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Yam MT10, 'Rox Scoota (currently on trailer of shame, still leaking oil . . from somewhere internal . .

Post by airwave »

1st pice of advice, take yer time, there is loads of keich on the roads.
2nd, get some further training as and when funds allow.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Hagon used to do a replacement rear shock which helps handling on older ZZRs. But check what is fitted first. Would be surprosed if the rear shock hasn't already been replaced.

A good first bike, slow handling makes for stable riding :2up

If memory serves the ZZR like most kwaks had a big power band at circa 7k rpm and that's where the big grins are. However in the current weather / road conditions, wouldn't recommend playing in the powerband. The bike definately isn't a slouch.

Last point, the carbs on ZZRs need to be balanced regularly to keep it runing sweet, check the last time it was done.

Miles and experience will help confidence. When you feel confident go for additional training before confidence exceeds ability ;)
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

Mate has a 04 plate zzr600 and it can go like S**t .watch when cornering at speed as back suspension as said can be sloppy and allows the centre stand to belly out.
Take care and as said now may be the time for advanced training .
Very capable bike and good choice for first bike.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

meepmeep wrote: you may have to lose the centre stand(no big deal).

Considering it's ability to ground out, probably an advantage to take it off.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Gazza wrote:

Might be easier said than done given the bikes age though. I'd be tempted to leave it well alone for now and see how you get on. Unless the rear shock is really saggy then it will be a while before you will be corenering hard enough for it to be a real issue.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
meepmeep
Mass Debater
Current Ride: ι ∂ση'т ¢αяє ωнαт уσυ тнιηк αѕ ℓσηg αѕ ιт'ѕ αвσυт мє

Post by meepmeep »

Gazza wrote:

Defo, on uneven surfaces at speed, like the SDR, it can be very dangerous.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

meepmeep wrote:
Gazza wrote:

Defo, on uneven surfaces at speed, like the SDR, it can be very dangerous.
I guess it depends on how "portly" the rider is.
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Removing the centre stand will be a grinder job on a bike that old and you will then need a paddock stand to undertake future chain adjustement.

Not heard of problems with the ZZR bottoming out before and that includes some 'portly' riders. However it uses the same rear suspension as the GPZ500 but is a good deal heavier. Hence the reported 'issues'.
Matt will sort you out and ensure the suspension is ok. :2up

It is soft compared to supersports 600, but I always thought of it as a 600 tourer rather than a supersport.
Long wheelbase makes it slow to turn, good for stability, bad for quick direction changes.
NOTE: that isn't a bad thing.
MissuzZ
Roll up, roll up.

Post by MissuzZ »

In spite of being of the 'portly' variety I never managed to bottom out my ZZR 600 ... the CBF was a different story however :freebird
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

IMG-20111124-00024.jpg
Zathos wrote:Hagon used to do a replacement rear shock which helps handling on older ZZRs. But check what is fitted first. Would be surprosed if the rear shock hasn't already been replaced.

A good first bike, slow handling makes for stable riding :2up

If memory serves the ZZR like most kwaks had a big power band at circa 7k rpm and that's where the big grins are. However in the current weather / road conditions, wouldn't recommend playing in the powerband. The bike definately isn't a slouch.

Last point, the carbs on ZZRs need to be balanced regularly to keep it runing sweet, check the last time it was done.

Miles and experience will help confidence. When you feel confident go for additional training before confidence exceeds ability ;)
Thanks Zathos this could be an option, the rear shock looks like it could be the original shock (Prob needs swaped out at some point), no reciepts for it being changed(there is alot of reciepts-manage to find that it is data tagged in process). :cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

stitch82 wrote:
IMG-20111124-00024.jpg
Ok, so I'll be doing some cleaning too!!!
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

The Rossi Kid wrote:
stitch82 wrote:
IMG-20111124-00024.jpg
Check the rear linkages as well, had a tendency to sieze up.
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

The Rossi Kid wrote:
stitch82 wrote:
IMG-20111124-00024.jpg
Slight understatement! :log
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Quick jet wash? yeah took a back lane by mistake when dropping cash for my instructor that I owed him, might go do that the night as long as keep away from chain I would persume? Sorry Rossi Kid make sure that clean before I come round
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

stitch82 wrote:Quick jet wash? yeah took a back lane by mistake when dropping cash for my instructor that I owed him, might go do that the night as long as keep away from chain I would persume? Sorry Rossi Kid make sure that clean before I come round
Not meaning to be cheeky but don't bother. That thing needs a de-grease, anti seize and a fair squirt of 3n1 before we start doing any work on it. I've got everything we need so don't stress. If i'm gonna do it, i'm gonna do it properly!!
Just thinking, any chance i could get it earlier in the day and i can get on with giving it a good going over in the morning, save the afternoon for suspension set up???
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Right! Bike de-greased as much as possible, chain de-greased/oiled & lubed, battery out and on trickle charge, sprayed down with protector stuff (can`t remember name :eek ), body polished, fuel switch turned to off, cans sprayed inside with wd40 and bagged. Kissed godnight :log Now where did I put that beer :2up
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

stitch82 wrote:sprayed down with protector stuff (can`t remember name )
Scottoiler FS365 perhaps, thats whats on my bike. And just realised I haven't given it the end of the year wash :oops
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Hopefully no de-greaser on the tyres. :eek
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Big Little Dave wrote:
stitch82 wrote:sprayed down with protector stuff (can`t remember name )
Scottoiler FS365 perhaps, thats whats on my bike. And just realised I haven't given it the end of the year wash :oops
Thats it :cheers
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Coddy wrote:Hopefully no de-greaser on the tyres. :eek
Nope washed/wiped off :biggrin2
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Just had fitted a new shock(hagon) and seconed hand linkage by breaking point, what a difference it made riding back home, although will need to set to my weight and height as still on standard setting (can`t remeber how to :eek ). Like to say thanks to everyone for there advise :worthy , hope to get out with you all in the decent weather :2up
Next will be new tyres all though don`t need replacing as such but has 1 flat spot on rear slightly and different tred makes, then braided lines and a stainless steel system/cans. Oh and get the carbs balanced like Zathos said. After that the bike(Sharlene :log ) will be set up to the way I want it- suttle yet apealing : :biggrin2
stitch82
Chopper

Post by stitch82 »

Just an update on how the bike is doing. Had a good few runs out recently and is going great. Passed my mot nay probs and changed brake lines to braided. My confidence has fairly grown and every time i`m out on a run learning and growing more confident every time- I have mastered counter steering (Thanks Rossi kid, Swampy and others been out with recently) and slowly building speed up on bends( Abrdeen - Alford road is good for that). Done some night riding but not confident to go at speed yet in dark :eek.

Roll on the lighter nights and evening runs :2up