General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Freddo
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6N

Ducati Monster 796 or Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Freddo »

Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide what bike to get next year, and was looking for your guys opinion. As the thread name says it's between a Ducati Monster 796 or a street triple r. I currently have a kawasaki er6n (first bike).

I want the Ducati more cause it's cool, but I think the street triple would be more practical for my needs but it doesn't have as much appeal. Was going to use it as a commuter, for riding at the weekend and also for a touring trip a year.

I have a feeling I already know what most answers will be, haha, but was interested in what you guys think out of curiosity more than anything.

Freddo
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Re: Ducati Monster 796 or Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Never ridden the Duc but have ridden the new Street R and I loved it. Great power, handling and position and the mpg was good as well. One down side was that it didn't have a fairing, and after a couple of fair paced miles my neck started to hurt. But I've heard that you can buy a touring screen to sort this.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Yamaha MT-09

Sent using paper cups and string.
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

Having owned a Street Triple 'R' for a couple of years, I can't talk highly enough about the bike. If you're set on a middleweight naked bike, then I think the STR is pretty much as good as you can get.

I've read some iffy reports about the MT-09, particularly regarding fuelling for commuting etc. I haven't ridden it or the 796, so can't really comment on any comparison other than that what you read.

I've heard the touring screen isn't exactly the answer to all your questions regarding wind blast either, but does offer a small amount of help.
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I loved the street triple and I would have another in a heartbeat but I would have the 797 before I bought another triple.

Only thing that throws me off a touch is the maintenance side being down in Glasgow.

both craicing bikes in my opinion so you cant go wrong. :2up
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Fitting a screen to these types of bikes can make the things even more uncomfortable and create even more turbulence. I've tried different screen positions and even touring screens on my Versys with the end result that the best thing for me is the standard small screen set at its lowest position. I've never had any issues with my 1100 Monster which is essentially the same as the 796.

It was actually the seat on the Monster that I had the most issues with comfort wise. I ended up getting a Sargent aftermarket replacement and now it is all day comfortable.

As for servicing the Monster you only need to get it dealer serviced while it is in warranty (2-3 years if you pay for the extended warranty). It is basically an only air cooled lump so should be relatively simple and not too expensive to get serviced elsewhere (cam belts need changed every 2 years).

The MT-09 in "B" mode is supposed to be a lot smoother for town work. Givi don't do a top box rack for it yet (not that anyone else except for me is interested in that fact :biggrin2 ).

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Freddo
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6N

Post by Freddo »

Thanks for the comments guy. Interesting about the screens possibly not helping out a lot while touring.
I keep hearing such good things about the street triple, I think il probably end up going with it. Never even considered an MT09 actually.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), when you say you haven't had any problems with your Ducati, is it pretty new? I'm probably going to get something a few years old, and all I hear from people is "so you enjoy fixing your bike more than riding it?" Haha.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Mine is four years old now and haven't had any significant issues with it.

Sent using paper cups and string.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Freddo wrote: Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), when you say you haven't had any problems with your Ducati, is it pretty new? I'm probably going to get something a few years old, and all I hear from people is "so you enjoy fixing your bike more than riding it?" Haha.
Ducati used to have a reputation for problems, particularly electrics. Way back in 1993 they improved the quality control and have been far better since. Like anything else it takes a long time to lose a bad reputation. I had two Ducati's between 1998 to 2007 and had only one breakdown, due to a failed rectifier. I've had a similar amount of breakdowns with Japanese bikes and a KTM over a similar period.

Most importantly, the servicing costs are more expensive and timing belts in particular need to be done properly with OEM parts. Failure to do so can be catastrophic.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote: Givi don't do a top box rack for it yet (not that anyone else except for me is interested in that fact :biggrin2 ).
:log :log
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Buy the one that floats your boat, but if you are thinking you need a fly screen :nono , neither of those bikes is for you.
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Unless you know how, avoid an old Ducati, even if it has a full service history.