Luis Salom - RIP

Give us your views on the world of Moto GP
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Luis Salom - RIP

Post by Gazza »

The tragic loss of Luis Salom at Catalunya brings home the risk these guys take to entertain us every fortnight or so. Luis was a great rider to watch and always gave it 100%. I really enjoyed watching him in the Moto3 class a couple of years back.

Another outstanding weekend by Valentino who once again dominated his team mate. As usual, Jorge blamed it on the tyres...which seemed to work perfectly right up until the point that the chasing Vale (who came through from 8th after the start) overtook him and cleared off. At that point in time, I imagine Vale must have sprayed something nasty on Jorge's tyres as he went past, as the Spaniard never managed the same pace again and was quickly relegated several places before being T-boned by the ever present torpedo called Maniac Joe.

So it all closes up at the top and Vale once again showed that he is well away from past it at 37.

Interestingly, there was a handshake between Vale and Marc after the race and it would seem they have put their differences behind them. I am sure that the passing of Luis has contributed to that moment. Acting like spoiled kids after the race would have seen a little inappropriate under the circumstances of the weekend.

RIP Luis Salom.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Luis Salom - RIP

Post by al »

:2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Rip :(
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

It looked like a savage crash, poor guy didn't stand a chance.

RIP. :(
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

www.crash.net wrote: An emotional Catalunya MotoGP weekend ended with Valentino Rossi and Marc Marquez shaking hands for the first time since 2015.

Once friends, the pair's relationship went into meltdown over claims by Rossi that Marquez was trying to help Jorge Lorenzo win last year's title. The bitterness escalated during an on-track clash at Sepang and subsequent title defeat for Rossi at Valencia.

Rossi has barely made eye-contact with Marquez since, but Luis Salom's tragic death helped bring a sense of perspective and a handshake took place in parc ferme moments after the Italian's thrilling victory over the Honda rider.

“When these things (Salom's accident) happen, all the rest becomes not very important. Very small,” Rossi said. “So I think [the handshake] was the right thing to do.

“This is a great sport. Our passion. But is also dangerous. So I think that a normal behaviour, a normal feeling, with the other riders is helpful.”

The handshake between Rossi and Marquez after the race #CatalanGP #MotoGP @ValeYellow46 @MarcMarquez93 pic.twitter.com/ebI4lVXJT2
— Crash.net MotoGP (@crash_motogp) June 5, 2016

Marquez commented: “It was a really difficult and sad weekend for MotoGP. But in the end, on Sunday, I like that it was the atmosphere of a MotoGP family again. When we were together on the grid [for the minute's silence] and the way all the riders dedicated their race to Luis.

“In the grandstands everybody was supporting all the riders. Full of respect, because we are taking a lot of risks. Another thing that for me was important was to shake hands again with Valentino. I'm happy about this.”

Asked if this race can improve their relationship, Rossi confirmed “yes”.

“Okay” smiled Marquez, putting his hand briefly on Rossi's shoulder while the media gave a round of applause.

But the relationship between Rossi and Lorenzo may take a little longer to thaw.

While Marquez and Rossi haven't clashed since last season, the Yamaha team-mates have exchanged some harsh words on a variety of subjects since round one in Qatar.

“Good question!” smiled Rossi, when asked if would also try to improve the relationship with Lorenzo. “Sincerely the situation with Lorenzo is a little bit different. I mean, what I can say is that at the beginning of the season I don't think to not have any more relationship with him, or not speak with him, or not say 'ciao'.

“But since I came back to Yamaha it was always me to go to Jorge, to say 'ciao Jorge, it's ok? How are you?' So I think this year I wait for him to come. But it never happen, and so you have to speak also with him!”