GPZ500S Tyres - Advice Please

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
grantwils
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: '03 Thundercat

GPZ500S Tyres - Advice Please

Post by grantwils »

Hello people!

I hope all is well up in the far north. Bloody wet down here.

As most of you know I have a GPZ500S. I need to replace the back tyre as tread is low and I want to replace the front as well because I don't know how old it is and I might as well make sure they match.

I know a few of you on here have had this bike in the past and would like to know what tyre you would recommend. I can't make it to Sillets although I wish I could.

I'll mainly be using it for getting to work and back - 12-14 miles of stunning back roads (lucky me). The road back from work is usually when I get the chance to open up and have some fun. I'll occasionally take Mrs Grantwils... all 8 stone of her on relaxing two up jaunts up the A82 and less scenic M8. I'm 16 stone and not very experienced if that makes a difference - I probably couldn't tell the difference between Slick race tyres and Knobbly off road tyres to be honest. I ride in all weathers but seldom on wet winter days as my trip to work in winter on 4 wheels is scary enough.

Cost isn't too much of an issue. Since they're the only thing holding me on the road I don't really want to cut corners.

Your advice would be greatly appreciated. (This is my first time getting new tyres on a bike so any hints/tips would be welcome).
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

PM sent
grantwils
Scary biscuits

Post by grantwils »

Cheers mate,

There's no great rush. Bike wrapped up nicely at the moment. Thinking about waiting until the Bike Show in March to see if there are any deals on to get them done there and then.

Cheers
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

It Isn't the best reply but here goes

My cousin could honestly colour in his front tyre on his GPZ500

here`s what he said
Best tyres were Metzeler ME1, but no longer available :??? and their replacement is pants :roll

Don't laugh but he reccomended the Avons :eek

like i said, not the most helpful of replies. If in doubt go along to Rob Silletts and ask his advice. He the man :2up
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

Metzler Z6 Roadtec.

Cracking tyre on the TRX..neutral in handling, long lasting, very good in the wet, not too expensive, quick warm up etc etc. Totally recommended IMO.

See here for some details

http://www.seastarsuperbikes.co.uk/tyresroadtecz6.html

http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/motorbike/metzeler

Also forgot to say these were bought from Sillets on his recommendation :I can't believe it's not butter!
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

For the type of riding you describe, any road tyre will be fine but avoid soft race replice rubber which will not get hot enough to give of it's best.
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

H rated Pirelli Strada's. :2up all you will need, or possibly an H rated Diablo on the front with the Strada on the back. Very good wet weather tyres, both.

The new H rated Pirelli’s are about 20 quid cheaper than the Z rated ones and you don't need Z rated tyres on your bike. H is good to 130 mph.
Izz,
Speedybug
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Metallninja :D

Post by Speedybug »

What tyres did you end up getting in the end and how are you getting on with them? I'm needing new once for my GPZ500s and am looking for a few pointers.

Speedybug
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Try the new Michelin Pilot Road 2. In an independant test they came top for Longest Mileage and top for Wet Grip.

http://www.michelin.co.uk/uk/front/affi ... ubrique=66
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Post by blagger »

On my gsxr400 i'm using bridgestone BT96 battlax which bridgestone has now replaced the BT96 with the bridgestone BT-090 Super Sport/Production Racing. great tyre this i think personally, in wet weather the bike still feels like it is still stuck to the road. my rear tyre needs replacing soon and i will be replacing again with this.

BT-090 SUPER SPORT

THE BT-090 PRO IS THE PERFECT CHOICE FOR AGGRESSIVELY RIDDEN 250 - 400cc BIKES & SUPERMOTOS.

BT-090 PRO REAR HAS A NEW COMPOUND WITH INCREASED GRIP & CORNERING STABILITY FOR EVEN FASTER LAP TIMES.

MORE GROOVES IN THE CENTRE AREA OF TREAD MEAN OUTSTANDING WET GRIP, WHILE REDUCED GROOVES ON THE TREAD SHOULDERS GIVE EXCELLENT MID CORNER FEEDBACK & MASSIVE LEVELS OF GRIP FOR HARD CORNERING.

heres some info about the bt-090 i lifted from the bridgestone site ;)

Introducing the new BT090 for middle-size bikes. Refined by using the latest technologies from Bridgestone, the BT-090 is perfect for aggressive riding on both circuits and streets. The rigidity of the tyre induces better contact feel in corners, especially for slide control during races. The new compound and pattern offer improved grip and handling in both wet and dry conditions, with better high-speed stability and anti-shimmy performance ensuring a smooth ride.

TECHNICAL INDEX

Compound

High grip compound for middle-size class motorcycles. Maintains high grip level from start to finish regardless of the temperature.

Pattern

New pattern optimises both vertical and horizontal rigidity of the tyre. Less grooves on the tread edge allow for better dry grip and machine control in corners, and more grooves in the centre area leads to better wet performance.

Profile and Pattern effect

Higher rigidity in sidewall area increases grip in corners. Better slide control for easier "line" tracing. Improved high-speed stability and anti-shimmy for better street-riding performance.

Construction

MSB Kevlar in rear
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

BT 96/090 was/is a lovely tyre..but the BT92 would be better for a GPZ 500 used as a commuter. The rear has a harder central compound and stickier sides. I used to use these on my ZXR 400 and loved them to bits. There is a picture on this site somewhere with bubbly rubber right to the edges after a run over Glenshee..and they would last around 5-6000 miles on the rear :-)

These replaced a pair of Pirelli Super Corsas and I was amazed at how sure footed the bike felt, even in the wet.
grantwils
Scary biscuits

Post by grantwils »

I've been quoted £145 for H rated BT45's. That's supplied and fitted to the bike - I just ride it in and leave it with them. That get's stuff like the chain tension done as well (obviously).
IZINBARD
Mr Angry
Current Ride: GSXR 750 K6

Post by IZINBARD »

No it doesn't. Wheel goes back on in the same position as it came off.
grantwils
Scary biscuits

Post by grantwils »

They said they'd do it.
grantwils
Scary biscuits

Post by grantwils »

metallninja wrote:Don't laugh but he reccomended the Avons :eek
Got the Avon RoadRiders @ the MCN bike show. £105.50 for the pair inc postage.
grantwils
Scary biscuits

Post by grantwils »

Done almost 1000 miles on them already. Not that I'm an expert but I've found them much better than what was originally on the bike.

Fill you with confidence in the dry - i'm a pussy in the wet so that doesn't count for much anyway.

Just did a jaunt to Perth and back - sitting at around 90ish - and tyres show no sign of problems or uneven wear.

Chicken strips are about 15mm though!