New tyres

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Brian1973
Direct Access

New tyres

Post by Brian1973 »

My 1988 gsx600f is in need of new tyres. At the moment it has a 110/70 zr17 on the front and a 150/70 zr17 on the rear but according to the manual it should be a 110/80 v17 up front and a 140/80/v17 on the rear.

Are there any benefits staying with the size thats on at the moment or would i be better going back to the standard manufacturers sizes?

Thanks

Brian :-)
evomannie
I am spethial and I've got nae friends
Current Ride: A mental ninja.

Post by evomannie »

I've just checked here..... http://www.universal-tyres.co.uk/motorcycle.htm you can still get those sizes for the front and rear in a matched pair. :2up

strange that different sizes have been fitted, maybe that was all that was available to the last owner :???
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

Possibly the previous owner wanted more corner stability, going back to those standard sizes would make the bike more flickable. Would you like it more flickable or are you happy with the handling as it is, this is the question you should be asking yourself???
Brian1973
Direct Access

Post by Brian1973 »

More flickable sounds good :evil :evil
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

I had the 750 version (99 model) and managed to find an American website devoted to the GSXF range (known as the Katana in the US) and they had some great information about upgrades, tyres, styling etc.

http://www.katriders.com/

Anyway, one of the biggest and first mods they recommended was switching the tyres to a wider, lower profile..on the 750 it was to a 120/60 on the front and a 160/60 on the rear standard on the rear was 150.

What this did was make the bike feel much much more planted but it was also lower, meaning the side stand was a bit of a pain as it was slightly too long.....but I found it well worth the change.

It also meant i had much more tire choice at a cheaper price.