Bike Overheating

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Bike Overheating

Post by blagger »

Heres the low down....

the other month i adjusted my tappets and in order to do that I had to drain the radiator system and remove the thermostat housing. so got it bike back together and put back in coolant and now after like a 10 minute run the bike heats up if i'm riding through heavy traffic or stopping at lights or junctions and the fan kicks in than the bike dies on idle also the part of the frame where the thermostat housing bolts onto and the rad pipe comes out to go to rad gets too hot to touch...

so thinking the rad might of had air locks or the coolant might be old I have cleaned out the system from old coolant and put fresh in and poured it in slowly this time with engine running as like a said b4 I think I did it too fast first time around. But still no joy.. Also I have given the bike an oil chance too.

b4 i done anything to the bike it was fine apart from the tappets needed adjusting and it never over heated or get to the point of the fan kicking in..

Also any ideas on this mystray.. ok as i said my bike is over heating and i find that.

1.when my fan kicks in and i have my lights on the bike dies and stalls on idle.

2.if the lights are off and the fan is running the bike idles and doesn't stall.

3.if the lights are on and the fan is on and i give it a little revs so the needle is about to move from the 3000rpm mark the bike runs and doesn't stall...

any ideas welcome as i'm working on my bike this week/weekend as i can't wait to get back on my bike...

if anyone wants to come past and have a look and a think and try some ideas is welcome

Cheers guys n gals

:(
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

You may have damaged the thermostat. The older they get the easier it is to break them when removing them. Should only be about a tenner for a new one. Thats where I would start.

As for the stalling, what is your battery condition like? Sounds like the battery is struggling to run all the electrics to me. Maybe a short in the fan system?
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

the battery is just a few months old... i think i will try and take the thermostat housing off and split it to take the thermostat out and test it...

i had read this on a site and wondering if this is a good test is to put the thermostat into boiling water with a thermometre and see if it opens about 190 degree

cheers
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

gsxr400rider wrote:the battery is just a few months old... i think i will try and take the thermostat housing off and split it to take the thermostat out and test it...

i had read this on a site and wondering if this is a good test is to put the thermostat into boiling water with a thermometre and see if it opens about 190 degree

cheers
You may find it difficult to get water to 190 degree's ;)
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

I was just thinking that!! :eek :I can't believe it's not butter! :I can't believe it's not butter!
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

RK6 wrote:
gsxr400rider wrote:the battery is just a few months old... i think i will try and take the thermostat housing off and split it to take the thermostat out and test it...

cheers
i think they were meaning 190 degrees Fahrenheit which is about 88 degrees Celsius. which sounds about right to me as you don't want the water in your rad system to reach over 100 degrees Celsius or it will be boiling and turning the water into a gas (steam) therefor raising the pressure in the system really high in the rad system and my cuase it to blow and also the coolant is ment to prevent the rad system reaching 130 degrees Celsius.

I can't believe it's not butter! thats how i see it but i could still be wrong...

;) ;)

i think i was an american site i got the info from
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

gsxr400rider wrote:
RK6 wrote:

cheers
i think they were meaning 190 degrees Fahrenheit which is about 88 degrees Celsius. which sounds about right to me as you don't want the water in your rad system to reach over 100 degrees Celsius or it will be boiling and turning the water into a gas (steam) therefor raising the pressure in the system really high in the rad system and my cuase it to blow and also the coolant is ment to prevent the rad system reaching 130 degrees Celsius.

I can't believe it's not butter! thats how i see it but i could still be wrong...

;) ;)

i think i was an american site i got the info from
See, that makes an awful lot more sense. . . :I can't believe it's not butter!
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Post by CBRXX »

Your fan is supposed to kick in when it gets hot mine does when sat in traffic, thats how it stops the engine from overheating!
The fact that your bike is cutting out suggests the idle is set too low.
What are you seeeing on the temp gauge when it does this?
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Check the thermostat is opening. Start the bike from cold and watch the gauge, the temp will rise then after a minute or so the temp will drop. This is the stat opening allowing the cold water in the radiator to circulate. Is a hose nipped?
With the thermostat open, pump the coolant hose to help remove air if trapped. (might need some gloves as the rubber pipe will be hot).
Is the water definately circulating?

The fan will generaly come on around 95 degrees. Most bikes, cars run at 90 degrees with air passing through the radiator.

The water will not boil at 100 degrees. Yes water boils in a kettle at 100 degrees but not inside the radiator. Its a pressurised system, hense the reason you dont take the radiator cap off when coolant is hot. If you look at modern bikes with a digital reading for the temp on the dash, the temperature will go above 100 degrees when running though a town getting stopped at trafficlights.
CBRXX
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: decisions decisions

Re: Bike Overheating

Post by CBRXX »

gsxr400rider wrote:on idle also the part of the frame where the thermostat housing bolts onto and the rad pipe comes out to go to rad gets too hot to touch...

:(
I take it from this you are getting hot coolant into your rad?
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

blackstorm wrote:Your fan is supposed to kick in when it gets hot mine does when sat in traffic, thats how it stops the engine from overheating!
The fact that your bike is cutting out suggests the idle is set too low.
What are you seeeing on the temp gauge when it does this?
I can't believe it's not butter! i sorta guessed the fan should kick in to cool :roll but anyway this is what its reading when the fan kicks in..

i have tried to turn up the idle but the engine seems to idle to fast them and it sounds a clunck when ingauging into first so don't really want to do this as it might damage the gear-box.

i will take the termostat out when the next warm day comes to stand outside to take apart and i will check/test the thermostat in some boiling water on my cooker. :2up :2up

me and dude900 was bleeding and jigglering wires n pipes and at the start the bottom pipe of the system after the rad wasn't getting warm and after a bit of jiggery-pokery it started getting warm so this showing there was hot water passing through the rad... but like i said i will test the thermostat just in case its sticking of faulty in any way

:2up
blagger
Chopper

Post by blagger »

Cheers blackstorm for dropping past to check out the bike and for your advice...

:2up