Coroner criticises TT race safety

Forum from the scary world or road racing!
Nessus
Direct Access
Current Ride: Aprilia RSV Mille R

Coroner criticises TT race safety

Post by Nessus »

From the BBC news website:

The Isle of Man coroner has criticised safety measures at last year's TT races following the deaths of a rider and two spectators.
Rider Marc Ramsbotham, 34, of Wymondham, Norfolk, died in a crash on the final day of the races in June.

Spectators Dean Jacob, 33, of Kidderminster, and Gregory Kenzig, 52, from Australia, were also killed.

Coroner Michael Moyle recorded verdicts of misadventure and noted "considerable failings" in the race organisation.

The inquest, held in Douglas, concluded last week but the verdict was given on Thursday.

In his summing up Mr Moyle referred to a catalogue of disasters involving marshals, the Manx Motorcycle Club and the Department of Transport.

He said the positions of some of the key people involved were now untenable, and that while he had no power to ban or exclude them, they should have no significant participation in future motorcycling events in the Isle of Man.

Witnesses said Mr Ramsbotham's bike struck the bank at the 26th milestone before hitting Mr Jacob and Mr Kenzig.

Mr Ramsbotham and Mr Jacob died at the scene and Mr Kenzig was taken to Noble's Hospital but died a short time later.

Hilary Beryl Musson, 60, from Ballaugh, Isle of Man and Janice Ann Phillips, 50, from Ramsey, Isle of Man, were also injured in the incident.

Warning signs

The spectators had been standing in a prohibited area but there were no warning signs.

Mr Moyle said had they been enforced, Mr Jacob and Mr Kenzig may still be alive.

Mr Ramsbotham was married and worked as an HGV driver and plant fitter.

It was the first time he had raced at the event.

The deaths overshadowed the centenary festival, which had been brought to a close by John McGuinness with victory in the Senior race - his 13th TT victory.

More than 200 people have been killed on the course since the first tourist trophy race in 1907.
teameddys
Direct Access

Re: Coroner criticises TT race safety

Post by teameddys »

With all respect, that's racing.
I know that everytime i go out, there is a possibility that the worse could happen.
This is probably the most dangerous circuit in the world and these things happen.
No matter what enforcements people put into effect there are always going to be deaths at the TT.
Maybe restricted areas should be put in place for spectators but as for the racing itself we cant wrap ourselves in cotton wool in hope that it might help.
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Re: Coroner criticises TT race safety

Post by Dickie »

Allowing spectators to stand in a prohibited area isn't racing. The organisation of the T.T. Marshalling that's in place has some very serious shortcomings. I don't pretend to know the answers, but 2 spectators were killed through no fault of their own, other than not having the nouse to realise the danger they were exposing themselves to with their choice of vantage point. I'm not having a go at the spectators, I know I've put myself in some pretty stupid places just to get a photo, but if I was moved on I would have no complaints.

This isn't the first time that lives have been lost due to bad training and / or organisation. Look at the Gus Scott 'incident' a couple of years ago as a prime example. Much as it pains me to say it, the loss of participants (solo riders, sidecar riders and passengers) can be almost expected, the loss of marshalls and spectators is a different matter. I fear it might become the biggest threat to the future of the T.T.

All my humble opinion. :cheers