Caliper rebuild

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Baza
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: ZX-6R J1
FZ 750

Caliper rebuild

Post by Baza »

I got my bike back from its major service on Saturday afternoon. Its running so much better. :cool (not that I could tell that it wasn't running perfectly, its powerful enough for me).

The mechanic told me that the calipers could do with an overhaul before the winter. he said it would be about £80
Fair enough I thought, I could do that myself and replace the lines while I'm at it as there probably past there sell by date anyway.

It wasn't until I got up the road that I realised what he said.

"Your calipers could do with an overhaul before the winter comes so you wont have to replace the seals before the salt gets into them" or something along those lines. :???

I thought you had to replace the seals if you take them out, and anyway is not a bit of a false economy? Stripping them all down and cleaning them not to replace the seals. (I do realise how much a full seal kit costs for these six-pots, not cheap and I'm not made of money). Like before I probably couldn't tell if the seals could do with replacing unless they were completely fooked, but I'd be more than confident to strip the caliper down myself if installing new ones.

Do you have to replace the seals?
Grant
Panty Granty

Re: Caliper rebuild

Post by Grant »

I just had a look at the workshop manual for my bike and for caliper disassembly it says:
Avoid reusing the dust seals and piston seals to prevent fluid leakage.
How much is a set of seals?
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

About the 60 mark for the full set. the busa and the gsxr750 (98?) use the same calipers and have read I could order the Suzuki parts to save a wee bit of cash... but not much.

Sorry for messing you about yesterday :(
Plus if I wasnt faffing about when I had stopped on saturday I could have caught up with ya, Id just come up from perth.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Baza wrote:Plus if I wasnt faffing about when I had stopped on saturday I could have caught up with ya, Id just come up from perth.
I saw you going past Braemar while we were enjoying our lunch! You should have caught up with us... we were just out for a gentle bimble.
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

I was sore and couldn't get on my bike fast enough :oops
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

Do you have to replace the seals ?

No......... if they are intact and not damaged in any way......If your carefull when removing them.... give them a good clean and the slot they sit into both on the pistons and the dust seals.......I usually (and i got this tip from my Bro) Leave the seals in boilng water to soften them as it allows them to return to their original shape as they warp when fitted if they pop out.Clean the outside of the pistons and inside of the calipers with brake fluid.Replace the seals/pistons using brake fluid as a lubricant.Remember to fit the pistons to the same hole they came out of as they are different sizes :2up
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

baldy wrote:I usually (and i got this tip from my Bro) Leave the seals in boilng water to soften them as it allows them to return to their original shape as they warp when fitted if they pop out.
boiling on the heat or just after boiled? Never would have thought of that, I would have just kept them doused in brake fluid.
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower

Post by baldy »

Just in a cup of boiling water from kettle for a few minutes just before you fit them :2up
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Ta :cheers
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower

Post by baldy »

Brake Seal Cleaning / Replacement :deal

1.Take calipers off the fork legs
2.Remove pads
3.Pump lever
4.Put pressure on the pistons so that they all come along way out (Some will be stuck and hard to move so you need to stop the free ones from popping out too soon) I use a small G Clamp or a bit of wood between the ones which are moving to stop them moving right out
5.If you can't get them right out you may have to Crack the calliper in two
6.Pull out the pistons
7.Clean the pistons dont use sand paper etc just a cloth and brake fluid is enough
8.Clean the calipers pay close atention to the groove the dust seals sit into they are normally full of s*it - Small screwdriver etc to scrape out the groove
9.Replace the seals (if they are badly damaged /split )It depends on the reason given for needing to replace the seals - are the pistons stuck or are the seals leaking?
Put it all back together and bleed brakes :2up
Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Post by Lynners »

I overhauled the calipers of my ZXR and when i put in the new seals i was advised to put red rubber grease on them.

I have a ginormous tub of this stuff so i can stick some in a sarnie bag and give you it for when you do the job. Better than having it go to waste :2up
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

baldy wrote: 9.Replace the seals (if they are badly damaged /split )It depends on the reason given for needing to replace the seals - are the pistons stuck or are the seals leaking?
Cheers for the guide, that's pretty much what I have done before on single piston calipers. Me thinks the tricky bit is getting all the pistons out at the same time.
The guy said I shouldn't need to replace them if I do it before the winter :confused . No leaks one is a bit sticky though. I suppose I will just have to wait until I strip the thing down and have a look.

Also after some careful goggling I foundTHIS with pictures of the same caliper.
Lynners wrote:I overhauled the calipers of my ZXR and when i put in the new seals i was advised to put red rubber grease on them.

I have a ginormous tub of this stuff so i can stick some in a sarnie bag and give you it for when you do the job. Better than having it go to waste :2up
Ta, I'll keep this in mind but is break fluid not enough?
Lynners
Pump up the volume
Current Ride: '09 K2 Fling

Post by Lynners »

Baza wrote:
Ta, I'll keep this in mind but is break fluid not enough?
Brake fluid is to clean all the sh1te out, this is a sealant kinda stuff. Think it stops sh1t getting in and keeps it lubed up. Quote me if i'm wrong but i only did what i was told.
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower

Post by baldy »

Thats a good write up :2up You will find that 2 or 4 will move easy so block with wood and try to get others out or to move.You can POP them right out and clean then replace one at a time if you want but it can be a bit messy :???
Baza
Scary biscuits
FZ 750

Post by Baza »

Lynners wrote:...and keeps it lubed up. Quote me if i'm wrong but i only did what i was told.
dont we all :log

sounds good to me, might just take you up on that offer after ma holidays :2up