Traffic islands

bergenhaus
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6F '06

Traffic islands

Post by bergenhaus »

On my way home everyday after 5 there's always a long line of traffic heading back from the lights at Cults. This should be OK to navigate to the front at the lights apart from 2 separate traffic islands blocking me along the way. Sometimes there's enough space between the car and island but usually not because of parked cars as well. It is very tempting to go on the wrong side of the traffic island to carry on on my merry way but don't want to be caught out by a kid running across or another(!) hiding policeman (not traffic island related - no fault of my own) seeing me. What does everyone else do?
meepmeep
Mass Debater
Current Ride: ι ∂ση'т ¢αяє ωнαт уσυ тнιηк αѕ ℓσηg αѕ ιт'ѕ αвσυт мє

Re: Traffic islands

Post by meepmeep »

What a good question.

Personally I think that it doesn't stop you from passing it on the wrong side as there is no solid white line.

The aim of it is a, 'Safe haven for pedestrians'. So the purpose of it is to stop vehicles from driving to close to the middle of the road when people are crossing.

So to summarise, I don't know either. :P
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

There may be no solid white lines however there will probably be indication arrows showing the drivers which side to pass the island on. I am sure this is what you could get hammered with.

i dont know what you may be charged with though.( thanks to Meep now we do !)

Those caught 'off-siding' may be issued with a £30 fixed-penalty notice as a minimum and if police believe they have been riding without due care and attention they could be referred to a Magistrates' Court where they could receive a fine of up to £5,000, up to nine points on their licence and possible disqualification.
meepmeep
Mass Debater
Current Ride: ι ∂ση'т ¢αяє ωнαт уσυ тнιηк αѕ ℓσηg αѕ ιт'ѕ αвσυт мє

Post by meepmeep »

Keep Left
Motorcyclists use off-siding to overtake or gain a better view of the road, but while they may pass slow-moving traffic or stationary traffic to the off side, they must stay to the left of central islands and keep left arrow signs.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

If it's a particulalry slow set of lights, you could always swing around to the other side of the road and then reverse back past it. :log
papagee
Direct Access
Current Ride: Suzuki Bandit 650s K9

Post by papagee »

This was a question that was asked at an Advanced Drivers meeting last year to a traffic cop carrying out the presentation. The islands are placed on parts of the road that are not safe to overtake, i.e bus stops and close to junctions. As the arrow says "keep left"
bergenhaus
Direct Access
Current Ride: Kawasaki ER6F '06

Post by bergenhaus »

Thanks people. Good clarification!
kennybhoy
Baw Bag
Current Ride: Kawasaki Zephyr 1100 A2 & XT660X

Post by kennybhoy »

Gazza wrote:If it's a particulalry slow set of lights, you could always swing around to the other side of the road and then reverse back past it. :log
ha ha ffs :log
neo
Direct Access
Current Ride: Slow moped

Post by neo »

Ignoring Keep Left signs = £60 and 3 points. If polis think it is dangerous - 1 year ban and unlimited fine. :cry2