Tyre choices

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Neorion
Supergeek
Current Ride: VFR 800 FI
Best advice I was given
"ride for yourself and don't watch my back wheel"
guess who?

Tyre choices

Post by Neorion »

Looks like I am going to need a new front tyre in a 1000 miles or so for the VFR.

I will probably go though Craigston as he sold me the bike but was wondering does anyone have a preference or things they look for when buying?

Yep its my 1st bike Tyre purchase cant you tell :oops
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Re: Tyre choices

Post by Zathos »

On a vfr I would go with something on the tourer side of life.

I use BT 021 on my Sprint and they are great. Good life and all round performance :2up
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

whatever you do make sure it matches the tyre at the rear.

Pirelli Angels are Brill (IMHO) I have them on the mille and they are lasting very well (42miles this year and counting :oops )

I did loads of miles on them last year and they were great.

2CT's get the nod from loads of folks on the board (me included) but they are a softer tyre and therefore you would probably benifit more from a more sports / touring based tyre.
Neorion
Supergeek
Best advice I was given
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

Ahh good point about the rear matching, I have a Bridgestone on there so might be just as well sticking with that, didn't think of that!

I have heard good things about the 2cts, might take the hit next time and change both out to those for the longer trips, but hey I only drive in straight lines anyway :log

Going to leave the rough bearing in the front just now its not that bad and see if he will do both at the same time, easy (for me)

Cheers lads
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

I usually find the front last almost exactly twice as long as the rear. Can't think of a time where I have ever only changed the front, so would recommend having a good look at the rear ;)

If the bearing is starting to go, get it changed now. A bearing collapse can happen quickly and the results don't bear thinking about.
Zax
Derren Brown

Post by Zax »

2CT are softer (more sports) than the Angels.

As Barry mentions. 2 rears to 1 front is the norm. if the rear is more than 50% done then it may be sensible just to change both at the same time.

As for the bearing. if the bearing is iffy then change it out.
It is not difficult to do (just a bit fiddly) and you will be able to go on a run without wondering if you are going to have problems . The peace of mind alone will be worth it .
Neorion
Supergeek
Best advice I was given
guess who?

Post by Neorion »

I hear ya chaps, I was going to get them done this weekend I was advised by someone I trust with cars, bikes anything mechy really that when he did his VFR it was a ballache so he advised on getting it done as its less hassle.

I'm all for doing it myself but nowhere to do it just now or the tools, Shirlaws or Eccose wanted 1.5hours at £55 or £59 quid an hour plus vat.

Fook that for a game of soldiers like, not money I have just now.
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Good plan :2up

It's all about having the right tools. You need a bearing puller to remove the old bearings. It is possible to drift em out, but a real pain to do.

Inserting the new bearings is a doddle by comparison, just remember to only apply pressure to the outer race.

When I did mine I poped bast the local bike dealer and they pulled the old bearings for free :2up ....of course that was many years ago :log
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

If you're getting the front tyre replaced the garage will have the wheel off anyway so you may be able to sweet talk them into chucking bearings in for you at the same time (takes seconds if you're a pro like they will be)!

I'll be helping Jesus install fresh front bearings in his Fazer sometime this week as his are making a hell of a noise so if you're stuck you can head over & see how it's done (by the far from pro's).

We wont be using a bearing puller as the bearings will be getting binned anyway so a hammer & a big ring piece screwdriver will do the trick to get the old ones out. As for putting them back in a 32mm socket fits nicely around the outside of the bearing so you can knock them in gently without the risk of destroying them in the process. :2up
coullstar
Bull Sh!tter

Post by coullstar »

Dunlop Roadsmarts (or whatever there called now). Apparently a sports touring tyre but I gave them some abuse on the Superduke and didnt notice any different to so the likes of 2CT's plus they didnt wear as much.
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Neorion wrote: I'm all for doing it myself but nowhere to do it just now or the tools, Shirlaws or Eccose wanted 1.5hours at £55 or £59 quid an hour plus vat.
Zathos wrote:Good plan :2up

It's all about having the right tools. You need a bearing puller to remove the old bearings. It is possible to drift em out, but a real pain to do.
And a bearing puller will certainly be a lot less than £55. There's a tool shop on the left on King STD heading towards the old bill. Can't remember the name of it, but some one on here should. Somebody ought to be able to lend you their garage for a bit too. I would if I was in Sconny Botland ;)
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:Good plan :2up

Inserting the new bearings is a doddle by comparison, just remember to only apply pressure to the outer race.

When I did mine I poped bast the local bike dealer and they pulled the old bearings for free :2up ....of course that was many years ago :log
Drifting them out is a piece of piss.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Zathos
Mr Magpie

Post by Zathos »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Drifting them out is a piece of piss.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)(master of the emergency stop).
Depends on the setup. Drifting out the old bearings on my Honda CBR600 was a real pain as access was tight.

For the money, if I had to do it again I would just buy a bearing puller :2up
Akrapovic
ZZR1400.....Just like a Golf
Current Ride: ZX10R and MT-10.
Location: Either grafting, down the pub, being a hermit or at a track-day.

Post by Akrapovic »

Perhaps these may save you some money, so you have cash to buy the bearing puller your after. :2up

http://www.aberdeenbikers.co.uk/phpBB3/ ... 72#p222672
Hagar
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBF 1000GT

Post by Hagar »

coullstar wrote:Dunlop Roadsmarts (or whatever there called now). Apparently a sports touring tyre but I gave them some abuse on the Superduke and didnt notice any different to so the likes of 2CT's plus they didnt wear as much.
+1 for the road smarts. :2up
metallninja
Big Nose
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by metallninja »

Zathos wrote:Can't think of a time where I have ever only changed the front
Triumph Bottomfeeler, the only bike I've ever had where a rear could last 2 fronts :oops
Sgoaty
Just Passed
Current Ride: Honda firestorm, ZZR1200, RC8R

Post by Sgoaty »

VFR with a single sided swing arm could be a bit funky to change. :???
Crashgoggz
Direct Access
Current Ride: '99 Honda Hornet 600.

Post by Crashgoggz »

I'm using pilot road 2's on the SV650s. Dunno if there still available.
andy92
Direct Access
Current Ride: VFR 800

Post by andy92 »

Pilot Road 2's came highly recommended from guys at work.

Fitted them to the Vtec, excellent both wet/dry roads.

They are not cheap but will easily last 8/9K if not more.

:2up from me.
blagger
Chopper
Current Ride: GSXR 600 SRAD

Post by blagger »

i'm running 2CT's on the srad and i have a lot of faith in them in the wet and dry.. good tyres.. :2up

i think its the pilot roads i have on it
Yamahahaha
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: 2007 Yamaha R.1

Post by Yamahahaha »

When I bought the 6 I had Pilot 'Danger' Powers on. When I got the bike down the road I fitted a set of Pilot Power 2ct's and have recently replaced the rear after 2.5/3k. The price of pilot 'Danger' Powers 2ct's have shot down due to the new pilot pure 2ct's.
Grant
Panty Granty

Post by Grant »

Sgoaty wrote:VFR with a single sided swing arm could be a bit funky to change. :???
The VFR has a centre stand which can be used for this sort of thing.
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

I think he was on about the bearings, Grant. They're part of the hub rather than the wheel. :cheers