Michelin Power Pure 2CT

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Michelin Power Pure 2CT

Post by RK6 »

Don't suppose anyone has ran the above tyres yet?

If so a mini review (wet grip, warm up time etc) would be much appreciated as I can't find much info on them...

Can't decide between the Pures, the chlamydia 'Danger' Powers & the new M5 Sportec's...

Decisions decisions! :confused
Quicksilver
Baw Bag
Current Ride: F800R - 2010
Tracer 900 - 2016

Re: Michelin Power Pure 2CT

Post by Quicksilver »

What does it matter - you're still gonna get a puncture within 5 miles of Silletts ;)
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Quicksilver wrote:What does it matter - you're still gonna get a puncture within 5 miles of Silletts ;)
I'm prepared this time, there's a repair kit sitting under my seat waiting for the inevitable. :oops
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

i woulnt have thought you could rate standard 'Danger' Powers alongside these pure 2cts dude , the power 2ct is a great tyre , i ran them for years until i switched to corsa 3s , im running rosso corsas just now although i still prefer the corsa 3s :freebird
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Always ran Pirelli's but when i fit tyres next, im going to fit a set of Power Pure's, just for a change.
Last edited by Coddy on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RK6

Post by RK6 »

steve wrote:i woulnt have thought you could rate standard 'Danger' Powers alongside these pure 2cts dude , the power 2ct is a great tyre , i ran them for years until i switched to corsa 3s , im running rosso corsas just now although i still prefer the corsa 3s :freebird
I was actually meaning the P2CT's as the chlamydia 'Danger' Powers are getting on a bit now...

I've ran the P2CT's a good few times before & never had any real complaints, just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience of the Pures as they look quite tempting...
The Rossi Kid
Make way for Noddy

Post by The Rossi Kid »

As far as i'm aware the "Pure" is the new 2CT, it'll just be the remaining 2CT stock being sold off. If there isn't a great price diff, i'd go for the new ones. Having said that, i've just put new Corsa III's on the Triumph.
goon
Direct Access
Current Ride: CBR1000RR 08

Post by goon »

Hi,

Think I might be able to help with this one. I posted a similar question on the forum back in May when I had just got my new Gay Blade and decided to fit the Power Pures. Always been a Michelin man and have run the Power 2CT's on previous Blades and think they are the dogs, so when the Power Pures came along decided to give them a try. They will replace the 2CT's at some point but in many respects are a very different tyre.

Anyway, back in May after I had done approx 600 miles on them I was unsure about them compared to the Power 2CT"s. They seemed a bit "vague" and there was more of a tendency to track/push out at the front on fast sweeping road corners especially if the surface was a bit bumpy and the rear seemed a bit "loose" at times. In tight stuff it needed some more heavy handed counter steering than normal to keep the bike on line at speed.

I originally set the pressures to same as the 2CT's - 32F and 38R and then started to mess around with these to see if I could get a better and slightly more stable feel. Around this time, I also contacted some guys I know at Michelin and I was told in no uncertain terms by them to forget the pressures I used in the 2CT's and run the Power Pures at those recommended by Michelin which are same as manufacturer pressures I have happily ignored as crap for years.

So, what happened when I ran them at standard 36F and 42R - nothing short of a total transformation They are without doubt the best Michelin tyre I have ever used and out perform even the 2CT's. Very stable at all speeds, stick like glue and the feedback from both front and back literally has to be felt to be believed. I've done a little over 2000 miles on them and at times on roads I know have pushed them harder than the 2CT's to see what they will put up with and they have never given me the slightest hairy moment. They are wearing very well and I reckon I'll get another 500 'ish miles out of the rear and plenty more on the front. Typical Michelin quality in the wet too.

Can't speak highly enough of them - if you get 'em, you won't be disappointed.

Cheers

Peter
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Fantastic review Peter, that's exactly what I was hoping to hear! :worthy

PP2CT's have always treated me well whilst surviving for reasonable miles & the M5's are ridiculously sticky but my bike munches through the rear in around 1000 miles which isn't ideal.

I'll grab a set of the Pures in the next few days & see how I get on with them.

Cheers for the heads up regarding pressures, I would've stuck with 32F 35R which I use for pretty much everything but i'll try the standard setup with these. :cool

Rowan.
goon
Direct Access
Current Ride: CBR1000RR 08

Post by goon »

Hi Rowan,

Glad to be of help.

Didn't want to get too long winded with my post but for your info, the guys at Michelin were strongly recommending standard pressures due to the altered construction of this tyre to achieve the 2lb weight saving. Which by the way I think is noticeable. The place they have saved the weight is from the tyre wall and not the main treaded carcass area. The result of "skimming out" this rubber and webbing etc. from the wall has been that it is not as rigid as on the 2CT's and has more flex. It's load bearing capability is slightly less as well. So to counteract the softer sidewalls the tyre HAS to have increased pressure to give it the same overall dimensional stability as 2CT's and other Michelin tyres. All a bit techie but as well to know. You might want to call Michelin to check pressures for the R1 but I expect they will be as handbook.

P.S. One thing I forgot to mention is they warm up pretty damned quick as well.

Anyway, go enjoy I say.

Let me know how you get on and put up a post once you've used them

Cheers

Peter