No rear brake after stripping & cleaning?!

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
Ronz
Dummy Spitter
Current Ride: 2010 Triumph SpeedMonster

No rear brake after stripping & cleaning?!

Post by Ronz »

My rear brake was getting a bit spongey and I was having to push the pedal all the way down before I got any stopping power so I stripped it down and, sure enough, the caliper was gunked up with salty road crap and one piston was sticking meaning the one remaining piston had to all the work hence the sponginess.
I cleaned it all up, pumped out the pistons. Cleaned and greased then refitted them with no drama. I tested the brake to make sure both pistons were moving freely but they wouldn't move at all, neither of them! The pedal went to the floor with no resistance whatsoever. I lost a little brake fluid so I checked the level and it was fine. I ran out of time to try anything else but it's got me stumped. I've gone from a spongey crudded up brake to no brake at all! I rarely use it but it would be nice if it worked.

Any ideas?
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: No rear brake after stripping & cleaning?!

Post by Dave »

bleed it
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Sounds like an air lock. Bleed, bleed and bleed again
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Zathos wrote:Sounds like an air lock. Bleed, bleed and bleed again

there you go again...trying to get as much bolld as you can :log :log :log
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

You have air in your system. You may have to take the calliper off to bleed the system properly depending on the location of the bleed screw.

You should only have pumped out the pistons out about 5mm or so just to clean them with brake fluid and cotton buds. If you apply grease then only use high temperature silicone calliper grease. Other types of grease can attack the o-ring seals making them swell and seize the callipers.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:You have air in your system. You may have to take the calliper off to bleed the system properly depending on the location of the bleed screw.

You should only have pumped out the pistons out about 5mm or so just to clean them with brake fluid and cotton buds. If you apply grease then only use high temperature silicone calliper grease. Other types of grease can attack the o-ring seals making them swell and seize the callipers.

Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I made sure I used the proper stuff, I've used general purpose stuff in the past with no bother but decided not to tempt fate this time. Is it definitely an air lock even with no resistance at all on the pedal?
Should be interesting, never bled brakes before. I know how it's done, just never needed to. Looks like it's me on me knees in the garage again :arse
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Ronz wrote:[quote="Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]You have air in your system. You may have to take the calliper off to bleed the system properly depending on the location of the bleed screw.

Big limp wristed Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

know how it's done, just never needed to. Looks like it's me on me knees in the garage again :arse[/quote]

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)...that is some offer :deal
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Ronz wrote:Looks like it's me on me knees in the garage again :arse
Most garages take cash these days! :log
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:
Ronz wrote:Looks like it's me on me knees in the garage again :arse
Most garages take cash these days! :log
You'd be amazed the discount you can get sometimes if you're willing to put out. :log
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

The quick way to do it will be to get the calliper raised above the level of the level of the servo with the bleed nipple at the highest point (before you unbolt the calliper carefully open the nipple with a ring spanner then just nip it back up).

I find that bungie cord with hooks can help to suspend the calliper. Get a clean spanner roughly the thickness of your brake disk and put than between the pads and secure in place with an elastic band across the back of the calliper.

Then attach some clear hose to the bleed nipple and secure it vertically up from the calliper or use a proper bleed kit. Carefully loosen the bleed nipple using some rags or kitchen roll to catch any leaking fluid and begin pumping the foot brake slowly.

Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservior as you are pumping and don't let it drop too low ore you'll just suck air back into the system. As you have air in the system it will take time to expel it but take your time and the air will slowly work its way out of the system.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:The quick way to do it will be to get the calliper raised above the level of the level of the servo with the bleed nipple at the highest point (before you unbolt the calliper carefully open the nipple with a ring spanner then just nip it back up).

I find that bungie cord with hooks can help to suspend the calliper. Get a clean spanner roughly the thickness of your brake disk and put than between the pads and secure in place with an elastic band across the back of the calliper.

Then attach some clear hose to the bleed nipple and secure it vertically up from the calliper or use a proper bleed kit. Carefully loosen the bleed nipple using some rags or kitchen roll to catch any leaking fluid and begin pumping the foot brake slowly.
Hang a small weight to the brake pedal. Open the bleed nipple enought to let the fluid flow. As the lever gets to the end of its travel, close the bleed nipple. Push the brake lever up with the weight still on. Open the bleed nipple to allow the fluid to flow. Repeat and repeat until you know enough (1-1/2 times volume) fluid has flowed through the system.

Keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservior as you are pumping and don't let it drop too low ore you'll just suck air back into the system. As you have air in the system it will take time to expel it but take your time and the air will slowly work its way out of the system.

Big limp wristed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Swampy
The Shermanator
Current Ride: Triumph Rocket 3t

Post by Swampy »

Good advice guys!

one thing though...

@ Ronz, you said that you rarely use the back brake... on a cruiser it's the most effective brake out of the two... well, assuming it's not full of air!
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

Swampy wrote:Good advice guys!

one thing though...

@ Ronz, you said that you rarely use the back brake... on a cruiser it's the most effective brake out of the two... well, assuming it's not full of air!
Come to think of it, it's never been that great... Hmm... :???
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

You might find you require to use one of these. Very effective at getting air out of the system.

http://www.toolbaydirect.co.uk/catalogu ... 3A/171280/
BIGSTEVE
I can't believe it's not crotchbutter
Current Ride: Rocket 3 Roadster

Post by BIGSTEVE »

This'll be your problem then! Please in future, ether put the pads in the right way around or take it to someone who knows what they are doing;) Rowan has just lost the title of king of the epic fail :log :worthy

RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

I can't see the picture but the description is amazing. :log

Surely not?! :eek
BIGSTEVE

Post by BIGSTEVE »

Oh yes! He put the rear pad in the front and the front pad to the rear, copper slip side to the disc! Think the copper slip is the only thing that stopped the brake from seizing on the way to my house!!
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

BIGSTEVE wrote:Oh yes! He put the rear pad in the front and the front pad to the rear, copper slip side to the disc! Think the copper slip is the only thing that stopped the brake from seizing on the way to my house!!
That's pretty much the truth. I have no excuse for doing it, God knows what I was thinking. Takes some to put the pads in the wrong way round and back to front :oops On the upside I managed to shave a bit of weight off the bike :log
I had to do something to catch up wi Rowan didn't I? Think this qualifies...
In future I must remember that I DON'T DO BRAKES! Any job prefixed with the phrase "how hard can it be?" should never be attempted.
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

EPIC!!!

:eek
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

I assume new disc's are on order :confused

and some pads with backing material left on them :confused
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

I had to check the date after reading this thread to check it wasn't an April Ronz wind up story , the non bleeding of your brake was bad enough but the story about the pads takes the biscuit for me , you really are useless at any kind of bike maintenance ! If I were you I would sell my bike an give away my tool kit an buy a bus pass ! Your a disaster looking for a location , you might find all this funny but in my opinion your the one that's the joke Ronz ! :eek
Ronz
Dummy Spitter

Post by Ronz »

steve wrote:I had to check the date after reading this thread to check it wasn't an April Ronz wind up story , the non bleeding of your brake was bad enough but the story about the pads takes the biscuit for me , you really are useless at any kind of bike maintenance ! If I were you I would sell my bike an give away my tool kit an buy a bus pass ! Your a disaster looking for a location , you might find all this funny but in my opinion your the one that's the joke Ronz ! :eek
Somebody's got to keep bike mechanics in work don't they? In my defence (ahem) I was in a hurry to stick everything back together and made a mistake. I didn't have time to bleed the brake and I thought seeing it's the back one and I rarely use it anyway, it would be fine til Steve (BIGSTEVE not the arsey one) could take a look. It's not like it was the front brakes, I'm no that daft!
Right, Rowan it's your turn.

PS I'm actually fine at bike maintenance, just not brakes :log
BIGSTEVE

Post by BIGSTEVE »

steve wrote:I had to check the date after reading this thread to check it wasn't an April Ronz wind up story , the non bleeding of your brake was bad enough but the story about the pads takes the biscuit for me , you really are useless at any kind of bike maintenance ! If I were you I would sell my bike an give away my tool kit an buy a bus pass ! Your a disaster looking for a location , you might find all this funny but in my opinion your the one that's the joke Ronz ! :eek
Hey man, that's a bit feckin harsh!!!
Swampy
The Shermanator

Post by Swampy »

BIGSTEVE wrote:
Hey man, that's a bit feckin harsh!!!
+1
Swampy
The Shermanator

Post by Swampy »

Just glad you got it sorted... could have been a whole other story!

Thanks for posting, good shared learning.

1. Know what you are doing or find out from someone that does
2. Read the instructions, user manual, haynes, workshop manual... any bloody thing that'll show you how it's supposed to be
3. if in doubt, get a pro to do it!