TT 2012

Forum from the scary world or road racing!
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

TT 2012

Post by steve »

It's been officially confirmed that the lightweight class will be returning to race the TT in 2012 , alas it won't be the 250 2-strokes but it will be the supertwins instead , it's great news for the TT in my opinion as it's going to help the TT grow into an even better event , I really enjoyed the supertwins race when I was at the Ulster GP recently

The lightweight race will be held on senior day in the morning , I bet Ryan Farquar is a happy boy today :worthy
garymitch
Mr Angry

Re: TT 2012

Post by garymitch »

aye sounds good. :2up
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

After missing this year will be great to be back next year .......To see more racing is even better :freebird

A new race has been introduced for the 2012 Isle of Man TT fuelled by Monster Energy, bringing the Lightweight class back to the world-famous road racing festival.

The 3-lap Lightweight TT, which will take place on the morning of June 8, ahead of the PokerStars Senior TT, is for SuperTwin-specification machinery. The Isle of Man Government Department of Economic Development said the introduction of a race for 650cc twin cylinder, 4-stroke motorcycles follows extensive consultation with teams, competitors, manufacturers, race fans and the ACU.

Many leading TT riders, including Ryan Farquhar, Adrian Archibald, Dan Kneen, John Burrows and Ian Lougher, regularly compete on SuperTwin machines in National Road Races.

TT organisers said they are confident of being able to attract a high quality entry for the inaugural race based on the interest received so far. Kawasaki and Suzuki are likely to participate with officially-backed entries, and the race is also expected to attract new competitors to the TT.

Although points scored in the Lightweight TT will not contribute to the overall solo championship in 2012, the event will carry a substantial prize fund of more than £25,000. The winner will also receive the prestigious ‘Lightweight’ TT Trophy.

Technical Regulations for the Lightweight TT Race are being drawn up by race organisers ACU Events Ltd in consultation with manufacturers, riders and teams, and are due to be issued by the end of September. These new regulations will focus on containing costs for competitors and producing close and exciting racing.

The rest of the race programme remains unchanged from 2010, with two 600cc Supersport races, a Superbike race and a 1000cc Superstock race. As is traditional, the meeting will culminate with the Senior Race on June 8. Plans for the TT Zero clean emissions race will be announced shortly.

Qualifying for the 2012 TT will begin on May 26, with sessions for Lightweight machines, all solo Newcomers and Sidecars, with the Superbikes, Supersport and Superstock classes starting their qualifying programme on May 28.

Isle of Man Government TT and Motorsport Development Manager Paul Phillips said:

"Interest is growing in the SuperTwin class and a large number of competitors as well as leading manufacturers Kawasaki and Suzuki have already expressed their backing for the race."

"We feel it is the right time to introduce the SuperTwins machines to the TT programme and their inclusion will not only benefit the TT, but is likely to speed up the growth in the class at national level, and at the other International Road Races."

Department of Economic Development member with responsibility for Tourism Geoff Corkish added:

“We are keen to add as much variety to the race programme as possible and having listened to the views of the fans, the competitors and the teams, this is the right time to introduce the SuperTwins machines which will give fans different sights and sounds out on the track and add to the growing success of this great event.”
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Roll on the end of May :cheers
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Aye roll on end of May, but where are you staying as knowing my luck if I book just know i'll end up on the other side of the island :log
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Best to stay in Douglas mate
garymitch
Mr Angry

Post by garymitch »

go camping. its more fun :2up
Coddy
Chavtastic!
Current Ride: 2011 Ecosse Arr Waan SP Special.
Location: I did see the speed limit officer, i just didn't see you....

Post by Coddy »

Not going over in 2012.
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky

Douglas, right and Gary I don't have enough room on my bike for a tent and all my stuff I need with me. But I will try to find a way.
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Coddy wrote:Not going over in 2012.

Booooooooooooooo ! I was lookin forward to more runs over the mountain with you dude :worthy
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Big Little Dave wrote:Douglas, right and Gary I don't have enough room on my bike for a tent and all my stuff I need with me. But I will try to find a way.

Tents and equipment can be rented dude , you will be amazed how much gear some folks put on their bikes to go to the TT , I manage with my top box an tank bag an on return I need a ruck sack for my TT goodies I've bought during my stay on the island , text me an we can chat on the phone about all your TT questions :2up
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky

Cool sounds good Steve, though will give you a text tonight so you have my number but need to try and get time of work for next year so will talk to my boss' tomorrow when I'm back at work.
blueflame
Late Braker
Current Ride: CBR1000RR
GSXR 750
Explorer 1200

Post by blueflame »

steve wrote:

Booooooooooooooo ! I was lookin forward to more runs over the mountain with you dude :worthy

You'll just have to gan roon wi me :freebird
garymitch
Mr Angry

Post by garymitch »

blueflame wrote:
steve wrote:

and me :2up
stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

wouldnt ken fa to start never been, be my first trip outta Aberdeen if I did go :freebird
Ninja Winja
Direct Access
Current Ride: Aprilia Shiver, Honda Cityfly

Post by Ninja Winja »

Can't make it next year :( :(
This year's was superb though :freebird :freebird
As Steve said you will be suprised what you can stash on the back of a bike. I was lucky enough to be staying on Bray Hill with friends but have camped in the past.
If you've never been get yourself a copy of TT3D Closer to the Edge (released on DVD in November I think).
Newbus
Chopper
Current Ride: Triumph Triple

Post by Newbus »

We stayed at this campsite this year and was great .Right on the track just before the Grandstand

http://www.stgeorgesafc.co.uk/ttcamping.htm

Chepa beer as well :cheers
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

garymitch wrote:
blueflame wrote:You'll just have to gan roon wi me :freebird

Oh go on then :log

If anyone has any questions just post them on here as there is plenty of us that have been once or twice an will be happy to help

It's simple , phone Steam Packet an book yer ferries , sort out accommodation , load up yer bike , head south , get on yer ferry an when you get to the island HAVE FUN ! :boozer
erin
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: A mighty Monster!!!

Post by erin »

garymitch wrote:
blueflame wrote:
steve wrote:

Eh cough cough, think your forgetting some others there as well mannie!! OK, i am no contender (mrs slow boat that i am), but i will be on the moutain on my bike, Nicky would be better company, as he can rider better & faster than me :???
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

I'm sure we will all have fun on the island Erin whatever we are doin on or off the bikes eh , I'm lookin forward to it big time :boozer
baldy
Nocturnal Arse Blower
Current Ride: Ducati Panigale 1199

Post by baldy »

steve wrote:I'm sure we will all have fun on the island Erin whatever we are doin on or off the bikes eh , I'm lookin forward to it big time :boozer
:boing :boing :boing :boing :boing Canna Feckin Wait !!! :cheers :band :boozer :cheers
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

baldy wrote:
steve wrote:I'm sure we will all have fun on the island Erin whatever we are doin on or off the bikes eh , I'm lookin forward to it big time :boozer
:boing :boing :boing :boing :boing Canna Feckin Wait !!! :cheers :band :boozer :cheers

Ditto dude :freebird
stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

I`m a bit new to going to the TT but really like to go 2012, so could anyone tell me what the best days/most popular days to go. All so whats the best route to take as well to get ferry across. Or any further advise :cheers
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

I also am a virgin to the TT and would really like to go next year, Would also appreciate any advice you veterans may have. I would like to load up the bike and camp where possible.

1. Do you need to buy grand stand tickets for certain areas etc or can you pitch up and watch where you want with in reason?

2. Is it the heysham ferry people catch over?

3. is getting on/off the island an issue with the high volume of traffic getting on the ferry?

4. can any one suggest any good camping spots / locations for ultimate convenience?

im sure i will think of many more stupid questions :log

appreciated, Andy
Last edited by haiax0 on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
highland81
Direct Access
Current Ride: CB1000R

Post by highland81 »

haiax0 wrote:I also am a virgin to the TT and would really like to go next year, Would also appreciate any advice you veterans may have. I would like to load up the bike and camp where possible.

1. Do you need to buy grand stand tickets for certain areas etc or can you pitch up and watch where you want with in reason?

2. Is it the Liverpool ferry people catch over?

3. is getting on/off the island an issue with the high volume of traffic getting on the ferry?

im sure i will think of many more stupid questions :log

appreciated, Andy

If you are looking to go next year you really need to book your ferry and camping now if not sooner. I went over in 2010 and went from Liverpool but try and get Heysham instead if you can, slightly closer. You have to book ferry through the Isle of Man Steam Packet which is the official company for travel there.

Here is a couple of links for you that we used
http://www.steam-packet.com/AboutUs/IsleOfManTT
http://www.visitisleofman.com/accommoda ... acility=73

We stayed at the campsite at Quarterbridge which was really good laugh and facilities were also nice and clean because they used the rugby club showers and toilets, it is also within walking distance of Douglas sea front where all the night time entertainment is (15-20 min walk if I remember)

Everywhere is free to watch from exept the grandstand but that can be bought once you are there.