2013 & Biking

General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

2013 & Biking

Post by Zathos »

Having not undertaken a single west coast or long distance run in 2012 I intend to make sure 2013 is a better year for biking.

Once the bikes come back out of hibernation I plan to restart attending Sunday runs and who knows we might even arrange a few weekend trips next year :cool
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: 2013 & Biking

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:Having not undertaken a single west coast or long distance run in 2012 I intend to make sure 2013 is a better year for biking.

Once the bikes come back out of hibernation I plan to restart attending Sunday runs and who knows we might even arrange a few weekend trips next year :cool
:2up

I think I managed less than 800 miles in total this year with most of that being commuting. :oops

I'm looking at simplifying my bike choice in 2013 and going down to one bike so if anyone is on the look out for a 650 Versys ABS or a Ducati Monster 1100 both with next to no miles on them then let me know otherwise I'll be looking at trading them both in against something.

All the best to everyone for the coming new year! :cheers

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
memini
Direct Access
Current Ride: Yamaha ycs1c and VFR V-teac

Post by memini »

Think everyone did less miles than they normally do . bad weather other hobbies getting in the way is my excuse and do plan doing more in 2013 hopefully .

bike is even sitting polished ready to go and am nearly ready to install the engine in my long term project
Bubba13t
Direct Access

Post by Bubba13t »

I done a pathetic 20 miles this year, 10 to get its MOT in terrific sunshine then 10 home in the pissin rain, bike dumped in garage not even cleaned, i even bought another bike that i sold before riding, tosser, next year will be different i hope
pharis
Baw Bag
Current Ride: R1200RS, Z1000SX

Post by pharis »

Not so many miles either, but still got a couple of Europe trips in, maybe 9k. Changing work patterns meant I was less keen to go out in evenings rather than the weather.
Alzie
Direct Access
Current Ride: 09 Bandit 1250S
09 Triumph Street Triple R

Post by Alzie »

Zathos wrote:Having not undertaken a single west coast or long distance run in 2012 I intend to make sure 2013 is a better year for biking.
So it wasn't just me then?? I was put off by bad weatehr far too easily. I spent 2 miserable weeks holiday in Summer 2012 at home, sulking cos I didn't get out on the bike, then found out that parts of west coast and NW highlands had a drought!! 2013 will be different, heading where the weather is best, life's too short to sit and wait for the sunshine to come to you.....
RK6
Would you like a mushroom?
Current Ride: Hypermotard SP

Post by RK6 »

I covered an embarrassingly small amount of miles this year but I fully intend to make up for it in 2013!

My R1 is poised and ready to go, bring on the sun!! :freebird
steve
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Hmmm I wonder

Post by steve »

Bunch of part timers :log
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I did considerably more mileage. Touring Sabah helped. Moving to Oz in January so expect a few more long distance adventures next year.
stitch82
Chopper
Current Ride: kawasaki ZZR 600

Post by stitch82 »

Didn`t get out as much as I would like to of. 1 confidence as no long had license and 2 bad weather. Before packing her away confidence come up. Bring on the sunshine in 2013 so can pull her out with new paint job and shiney new cans!!!!!

Hope to see you all in 2013 :2up
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

Maybe 5k miles for me this year... I feel as though my riding has gone back into the dark ages though, feeling less confident in my ability with each ride towards the end of this year, Some of which I am putting down to the tyres.. I have loose all confidence in them untill they are super hot so i think it might be a change for this comming season. (probabl;y more mental than physical)

i also think its time to booking some further skills training courses before I plan big for next year! its not good enough to keep saying it! :2up

will be looking forward to seeing you all in 2013 :freebird
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

steve wrote:Bunch of part timers :log
:log :log
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

aye, nae much done this year apart from commuting!
RK6

Post by RK6 »

I can't even call myself a part timer after 2012. Don't think I even managed 500 miles....

Did 30k + in 2009 then similar miles in 2010. 2011 was a heap less as I wasn't commuting on the bike and 2012 has been a year of driving boring cars due to work commitments / weather etc. :(
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

RK6 wrote:
I can't even call myself a part timer after 2012. Don't think I even managed 500 miles....

Did 30k + in 2009 then similar miles in 2010. 2011 was a heap less as I wasn't commuting on the bike and 2012 has been a year of driving boring cars due to work commitments / weather etc. :(

I notice your not blaming your lack of miles due to poor spanner skills :log sorry dude I couldn't resist
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

Hopefully the Mrs will do her DAS in early spring and we'll be out riding together a fair bit this year. Last year was my first biking and managed about 3500 miles. Hopefully more next year :)
RK6

Post by RK6 »

steve wrote:
RK6 wrote:

I notice your not blaming your lack of miles due to poor spanner skills :log sorry dude I couldn't resist
Hah! I'll have you know my spanner skills are pretty spectacular ;-)

Sent from my HTC Sensation using Tapatalk 2
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

RK6 wrote:

So I've heard. Rumour has it that you taught Ronz
RK6

Post by RK6 »

Gazza wrote:
RK6 wrote:

Now now Gazza, that's not very fair on Ronz is it? :log
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Done 2,500 miles since June and still have a bike trip to Germany again with a few mates and my dad. Then in May when my restricted license is over I'll be looking at changing bike.
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Coming from the man who told me you were not coming out to play till March :biggrin2 But as for miles yes compared to you we are part timers :log
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

RK6 wrote:
Gazza wrote:
RK6 wrote:

Now now Gazza, that's not very fair on Ronz is it? :log
Actually, maybe it was the other way around. :log
Russ
Tube steak
Current Ride: Honda Blackbird (1998) and now a 2015 Tracer 900 and very nice it is too!

Post by Russ »

Its all down to opportunity and what else we do.

I've been lucky on the bikes this year and long may it continue and I'm planning 2013 to be better again.

Other than commuting whenever I can (unless snow or ice make it impossible!), managed the following trips in 2012.

June - Went to Knockhill for the BSB Round on the Blackbird, then headed off to Cheshire and onto Mallory Park for a Chris Walker Race School, which was damn good despite the torrential rain towards the end.

July - Over to Lewis/Harris for a week on the F800GS, perfect bike for those roads and despite some drizzle was a good tour.

August - McBASH at Fyvie, some of you really should try it !!

September - First long run on the new Crosstourer to Applecross, again not particularly good weather but bike proved just as good as I'd hoped.

So a few long runs and next year already booked hotel in Austria and Chunnel so long ride on CT through the UK then onto the Tyrol for 5 nights then back up again.

Also, after over 25 years at Maud JFC I am retiring at then end of this season and plan to use the free Saturdays (weekends) to get out on the bikes and see more of the West / North of Scotland, really looking forward to getting some miles on them and seeing more of this amazing country we have on our doorstep which, due to soccer every saturday, I've been unable to get out and see !

SO really looking forward to next year, hope you lot also get more chances to get out there and do plenty of miles !

:freebird
Dickie
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: SV650, ER6 and a pikey van

Post by Dickie »

I bought a Falco from a fellow forum member back in March (remember that really warm week when we thought it was going to be a good summer?) and probably only got out on it half a dozen times. The last run was a solo jaunt back in October, a trip to Strowan (near Crieff) to visit my friend's grave on his birthday, that's why I remember the date. Anyway, it was pretty shizzle really. I counted four or five times when cars came round corners straddling the white line, hardly ideal on narrow roads like the Sma Glen. It was doubly irritating considering the mate whose grave I'd been visiting was killed by a car on the wrong side of the road.

Anyway, where was I? Yeah, could really have done without it and hasn't really got me enthused for covering huge distances next year. I don't want to pack in riding on the road but what can you do to protect yourself against idiots pulling that kind of crap? :confused

Just for the record I've never had a particular problem with bad drivers before, maybe I was feeling extra sensitive. :hippy
steve
Tank Slapper

Post by steve »

Big Little Dave wrote:
Coming from the man who told me you were not coming out to play till March :biggrin2 But as for miles yes compared to you we are part timers :log

Doing 2.5k in 6 months you will always be a pretender young mr H

I would have done more miles this year had it not been for electrical issues with my bike and spending time doing work on someone's 650 bandit !!!

3 trips to watch international road racing an possibly another costal tour of Scotland plus several 300+ miles runs planned for me on both my bikes (providing I can finish my streetfighter by March) are all I'm planning on doing next year so far