Yamaha MT-09 Tracer

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Yamaha MT-09 Tracer

Post by Dave »

Yamaha MT-09 Tracer… thoughts after 600 miles

Some on the forum are thinking of buying a MT-09 and asked what I thought if it, so I thought I would share with you all.

Firstly, two weeks ago I had no intending of buying a MT-09.
I had my first look at one while waiting for my lad to swap his 50cc scooter for a 125 bike, then I was talked into have a test run on it.

Initial impression: good looks, light, agile, quick off the mark, does not feel like a 200kg bike, more like a 150kg supermoto but smoother.

Now got over 600 miles on the MT-09, smiling :biggrin2 for all of them, my current thoughts are better than my initial reaction apart from the screen, which makes a lot of wind noise/buffeting when traveling over 59mph.
I now have the screen at its lowest setting which reduces some of the noise.

I have not changed any of the riding modes, not even looked at the handbook to see what the settings do, just done the 600 miles on chlamydia mode.

For me the suspension/seat feels a bit hard, but I still did over 1.5 hours (continuous) on it the other day with no issues, and thru the twisties the bike feels good, so the suspension is doing a fine job for some of its tasks.

As I said, the MT-09 feels light, BUT it does not have that solid/quality feel of my (departed) KTM 990 or R1200GSA, nor my S1000R Sport, but those bikes are in different classes.

I have not rev'd it high, so I cannot comment about the high end power, but my gut reaction is that it will be sufficient for my day to day commuting bike.

I like a lot about the MT-09:
The precision between the throttle and rear tyre, especially when the traction control is switched off for traveling over long gravel driveways.
The overall lightness of feel.
The steering feedback.
The torque, nice smooth delivery.
I like some of the features on the computer, the way you can change the items on display, and the elapsed time which starts when the engine of switched on.
The range is looking good, twice I have done over 180 miles between fills. But remember the Tracer has a larger tank than other MT-09 versions.

The not so good bits (which are all minor, apart from the screen):
The screen on the Tracer...looks good but is rubbish. I assume it is the screen making the wind noise as when lowered it is quieter, but the hand guards may contribute to the noise!?
The hazard light switch...fafing small switch hidden out of the way on the right hand side.
It has some fixings for panniers, but you still need to buy a frame...Yamaha, why bother fitting the pannier rails as it is only part of the requirements ????
Where many bikes have the headlight full been "flash" switch, the MT-09 Tracer has a computer menu selection switch. I don’t know if this is for a lap timer of anything, but I don’t like it there.

The bike is booked in for its first service, so this time next week I will comment on the feel at higher revs.
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer…

Post by al »

My V-Strom has the display change switch where the trigger "pass" switch on other bikes. To flash the lights you push the hi-lo beam switch backwards with your thumb.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:My V-Strom has the display change switch where the trigger "pass" switch on other bikes. To flash the lights you push the hi-lo beam switch backwards with your thumb.

Same with the MT-09 Tracer
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

interested to give one a test myself. I like the look of the bike personally, will look forward to your post 600 mile write up. :2up
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Try "A" Mode!!! You'll notice a massive difference in throttle response, and power :2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Dave wrote: ...As I said, the MT-09 feels light, BUT it does not have that solid/quality feel of my (departed) KTM 990 or R1200GSA, nor my S1000R Sport, but those bikes are in different classes.
On the MT-09 today, in the rain!

After a spirited run last night on the S1000RS, today the MT-09 does feels light, but not in a bad way.

It is deceptively able to travel at a decent pace, without drama.

Due to the rain, I decided not to try the "A mode", but I shall wait until after its first service tomorrow.

I have been discussing the different versions of the MT-09 with some people, some want a the naked version.
If you want naked, I would recommend getting the Tracer, but remove the screen and those daft luggage rails.
The Tracer has a bigger fuel tank, and lots of other bits/electronics that I think make it a bargain.
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Thoughts after 1400 miles…

First of all, I retract my previous comments along the lines of: “if you want a naked MT-09, just get a Tracer and remove the faring”.
The other day I was on a run with someone on a MT-09 ABS…although basically the same bike as a Tracer, the lower riding position, no faring, single light and different pillion seat/”rear look” makes it a much more “mean looking machine”…I would get the ABS if I wanted a street fighting play thing.
But I don’t a specific play bike, I need a committing bike, hence the Tracer for me with its bigger tank, bigger pillion seat, and screen…mind you the MT-09 Tracer is also a good “play bike”.

Basically I stand by the rest of my initial thoughts.

The MT-09 Tracer is a fine bike

It pulls very well from low revs to about 6k…then it picks up the pace.

I have not tried the A and B modes that much.

I believe that B mode reduces the power and makes the delivery smoother…I have a right hand which can reduce the power, and I find it hard to believe that anything can make me smoother (in all aspects of life ), so I do not see the point of mode B
Also, I am not a great fan of switching modes, for me all that does is give me a different feeling bike which I won’t be familiar with.

I have tried mode A a few times, for me it made the bike a bit snatchie at low revs and commuting, so for the whole consistency thing I just leave the bike in Standard mode.

Looks…that as always looks is in the eye of the beerholder.
I like the look of the naked, but need the functionality of the clothed version.

al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dave wrote:I have tried mode A a few times, for me it made the bike a bit snatchie at low revs and commuting, so for the whole consistency thing I just leave the bike in chlamydia mode.
What mode? :log
Yarek
Scary biscuits
Current Ride: Kwak Z1000sx

Post by Yarek »

Was I chatting to you and your lad in the wee shop in Echt a few weeks back? Someone on an S1000R chopping in for a Tracer anyway? :)

I did have a look at the Tracer, but just couldn't get on with the looks, although from the look of the quality of the bike and the specs it is a really hard thing to walk away from!
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

Yarek wrote:Was I chatting to you and your lad in the wee shop in Echt a few weeks back? Someone on an S1000R chopping in for a Tracer anyway? :)
I was in the echt shop with my lad on May 1st, I only had the s1000rs then...yes I did give the tracer a test run that day, since then I got one to complemant the s1000, not replace it. :biggrin2
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Post by willian »

Dave wrote:
Yarek wrote:Was I chatting to you and your lad in the wee shop in Echt a few weeks back? Someone on an S1000R chopping in for a Tracer anyway? :)
I was in the echt shop with my lad on May 1st, I only had the s1000rs then...yes I did give the tracer a test run that day, since then I got one to complemant the s1000, not replace it. :biggrin2

You must surely be due a change by now........
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

Last edited by haiax0 on Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

willian wrote: You must surely be due a change by now........
:2up
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

haiax0 wrote:
willian wrote: You must surely be due a change by now........
:2up

what suits you sir...a clothed Tracer or a naked ABS ?
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Dave wrote: naked ABS ?
Coully
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: 1988 CBR 600FL jellymould Gone
1990 VFR 750FL - Gone
1999 VFR 800Fix -Gone
2006 K1200s

Post by Coully »

more like this around here:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
haiax0
Tank Slapper

Post by haiax0 »

For me its the Tracer, Although I love naked bikes like the Street so its an unusual statement from me. The MT-09 just does not cut the mustard for me as naked.

The MT-09 Tracer is a nicer looking big (in the eye of the beerholder) although reminiscent with me of the fazer which some what throws me off in a moment of weakness.. :eek

Have not owned a Yam so cant comment much on them other than what reviews I have read! Interested to test ride one of these next weekend with no preconceptions.

Struggling to fall in love with affordable bikes at the moment. :roll
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

haiax0 wrote: Struggling to fall in love with affordable bikes at the moment. :roll
True love is hard to find, and if you do find it, it will break your heart

Best to get something to ride, every ride is enjoyable, and when riding it you do not have to look at it

So…just get something to ride

Same goes for selecting a bike :log
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

I do like the look of the tracer and very comfy to sit on, gonna look forward to Dave giving me a shottie of it :)

Same as the 650 V-strom, nice looking bit of kit......gonna look at one of them or a MT-07 once I get my Mod 2 test out of the way as my first 'big bike'
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

willian wrote:I do like the look of the tracer and very comfy to sit on, gonna look forward to Dave giving me a shottie of it :)

Are you happy now :confused
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

Dave wrote:
willian wrote:I do like the look of the tracer and very comfy to sit on, gonna look forward to Dave giving me a shottie of it :)

I need a 2nd shottie to fully confirm my opinion....
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

willian wrote:
Dave wrote:

I need a 2nd shottie to fully confirm my opinion....

I always know you were a female at heart...never satisfied :log :log :log
willian
Late Braker

Post by willian »

I do need a proper shottie now i'm in potential purchase mode, not just round an industrial estate....
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!

Post by Dave »

willian wrote:I do need a proper shottie now i'm in potential purchase mode, not just round an industrial estate....
go speak to Martin
Big Little Dave
Tinky Winky
Current Ride: 2011 CB1000R

Post by Big Little Dave »

Dave wrote:
willian wrote:I do need a proper shottie now i'm in potential purchase mode, not just round an industrial estate....
go speak to Martin
Then come see me upstairs for an exhaust system :biggrin2