Yamaha XV 950

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Yamaha XV 950

Post by Dave »

Yamaha XV 950

“Heeeeeelllllllllllllpppppp meeeeeeeee”, as Leeloo once said, and the same words in the same style were running thru my mind as I entered the first corner on a XV 950…

Those that know me are probably thinking…”what, why, when, why????” amongst other things

What : XV 950, a twin engine cruiser thing from Yamaha…sort of a rice burning Hardly Davidson.

Why : because my MT-09 was in for its first service, and I needed a ride, so when standing outside next to the XV950 I thought back three weeks ago to when my lad said “why don’t you get one of these”.

When : last Friday afternoon, a fine day, no rain, not much wind, and relativity warm when the sun was visible.

Why : seemed like a good idea at the time, but I was changing my thoughts even as I was asking if “that thing” was available.

Back to the experience…first, getting on, or should I say “getting down" on to the bike, then trying to bike the peg for my right foot…tis not a natural position for me, that has been riding adventure type bikes for the few years (such silly bikes), naked bikes, many a run on a sports bike and fafing with trial bikes etc.

The XV…once I move off, the strangeness continues, there is an odd sensation almost like pulling a wheelie while sitting but with the feeling of the legs apart like a prostitute advertising their main product…very strange.
After a mile or so some of the strangeness wears off, but pulling away from the first set of traffic lights had my left foot struggling to find the peg.

Riding in the busy traffic was ok, but once I got a clear bit of road just heading to the beach I entered a corner with a bit of speed…not much speed, still below 30mph, but that was the fastest corner to date…anyway, what an odd range of sensations happened in a short space of time “Heeeeeelllllllllllllpppppp meeeeeeeee”, came to mind, again, from that fear of entering the corner too fast, the bike not turning quickly enough, the feeling of being close to the tar, then the bike did turn so I give it a bit more throttle, then the need to straighten up, and again…I was laughing to myself halfway thru the corner wondering just what the f##k just happened.
On a quiet bit of road I did some slow speed fafing, weaving, turning up side roads etc…still having a bit of a laugh.
I survived all the way to the Esplanade, then found the road the XV was made for…a road without corners.

While riding on the Esplanade with the sensation of legs apart and feet in the air, I was wondering if this was the future of biking for me, while still laughing at the recent initial feelings of the corners, wondering how this bike (and rider) would cope with the likes of the undulating twisty old military road west of Ballater connecting Deeside and Donside ?

Due to the lack of time I had available and the effort to get out of town, I decided I could not be bothered trying to “filter” on the XV, so I headed to a beachfront café for a coffee.

Sitting there, in the sun, looking at the XV950 thinking I quite liked the look of the bike (“Heeeeeelllllllllllllpppppp meeeeeeeee” someone !!), and I quite liked the run along the Esplanade, but I could not visualise me commuting on one, or going on a run with anyone I know, or buying tassels and chaps.

But that was my first ride on a bike like that, not really a negative experience just strange, really strange.

http://www.Yamaha-motor.eu/uk/products/ ... io-001.jpg
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Re: Yamaha XV 950

Post by al »

I've always liked the look of the XV since it came out. Do you think would be easier on my wrists than the Falco?

They even do an interesting "racer" version of it with higher footpegs and clip-on bars.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Re: Yamaha XV 950

Post by Dave »

“Easier on your wrists?”…of all the things going thru my mind while riding the XV, I can honestly say loading on my wrists was not one of them.

A racer version with “HIGHER” foot pegs, now that is a modification that I find very hard visualise.

I just looked at the photo of the stock bike, the foot pegs do not seem high…but that was not the memory I had of my run