Cargo Turn & Go Puncture Repair Kit

al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Cargo Turn & Go Puncture Repair Kit

Post by al »

I have been carrying one of these kits under the seat of my bike for years now in the hope that if I had it with me that I would never need it.

Today was the day that it was finally tested. I thought that my bike felt strange on the ride into work this morning. The steering felt really strange and it felt like the brakes were on. I too it very easy on the ride into work because of that. Little did I know that it was the back end that was causing the problem.

When I walked back to the bike after work I could see that the back tyre was a bit flat. A swift kick with my boot confirmed it.

With the bike up on the centrestand I was able to spin the tyre and found the culprit. There was the head of what looked like a nail sticking out of the tyre just off centre. Seat off the bike to retrieve the repair kit and I set to work.

With the pliers the nail came out easily then the remaining air started coming out. Rather than having to re-inflate the whole tyre I stuck the nail back in just enough to stop the air coming out until I could get one of the plugs ready. Plug in hand I pulled the nail back out and screwed the plug into the hole.

After carefully screwing the plug into the hole to the widest part the "handle" part just snaps off and that is it. It is designed so that when you ride on it, if there is any part still proud of the surface of the tyre it presses in slightly more and then just wears flat. This is a get you home kit remember rather than a permemnat repair.

The next job was to inflate the tyre. Having conserved some of the air in the tyre I managed to get away with only using three of the CO2 cartridges. If you are doing this yourself then remember to use the strange little plastic mesh sleeves that come with the kit over the cartridge and preferably wear gloves when you do this. The Joule-Thomson effect when the cartridge is pierced means that there is a significant drop in temperature on the body of the cartridge and you don't want cold temperature burns!

Job done and I was able to ride home no problem. Thank goodness for tubless tyres!

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
willian
Late Braker
Current Ride: versatile system type bike....

Re: Cargo Turn & Go Puncture Repair Kit

Post by willian »

Great example of being prepared Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), glad the kit worked :2up

I carry the twist and pull out type. I may just get some of the snap off ones you use too as another option.
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

Sounds cleaner to use than the twist pull plug type :2up

Will have to get hold of one myself
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:Sounds cleaner to use than the twist pull plug type :2up

Will have to get hold of one myself
They twist and go kit looks like it shouldn't make any additional damage to the tyre structure (potentially unlike the glue in type where you have to use a rasp tool in the hole before fitting the plug) so hopefully my tyre will be able to be repaired.

It's a Michelin tyre before you ask who are one of the only bike tyre manufacturers who claim that their tyres can be repaired so fingers crossed that it meets the criteria for a repair.

al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Update -

Had the tyre looked at this morning. The cargol didn't want to come out without a fight so I ended up opting for a new tyres. However, I had inflated the tyre to normal pressure and didn't leak. On inspection the Cargol did the job and should allow you to complete your journey without any worries.

Dave
Enjoys a nice shaft!
Current Ride: Big sensible pretty bikes with big smooth tyres,
Small bikes with small lumpy tyres and a truck with HUGE lumpy tyres !

Post by Dave »

Good about the repair, bugger about needing a new tyre