Battery help

Best tyres, Suspension setup, Accessories...
KARLOS69
Crazy Frog

Post by KARLOS69 »

hey Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian), the internal clock is wrong by 1 hour....I hope and it's not just me :I can't believe it's not butter!
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Looks OK to me dude.

Back to the battery discussion, here's a usefull site with a description of battery theory. http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#8

Modern maintenance batteries can handle a deeper discharging cycle but as with any chemical device will still die if neglected.

Yours,

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
BEng (Hons) MIEE.
:arse
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ) wrote:
Shrek wrote:I have not been looking, why would I. I'm still waiting to hear why you would think "If you let a modern battery go flat it is almost impossible to recover"
Just because they are ....

.... OK!
Oh well that’s the end of the battery charger industry :roll

Scott (AMIEE)
Zathos
Mr Magpie
Current Ride: Aprilia Tuono Factory R

Post by Zathos »

You guys need to define 'flat'. ;)

Zathos (MSc)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

Zathos wrote:You guys need to define 'flat'. ;)

Zathos (MSc)
Kate Moss's chest.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( PERV )
fazermal
Always ahead of Trouble
Current Ride: KTM Tangerine Twin
Yamaha XT 660 X (recovered by the Dohnut munchers)

Post by fazermal »

Flat; having lost evervescence or to generate electric current (Oxford)

Mal (QHSE)
Max Power
Scary biscuits

Post by Max Power »

I agree.

Max (Billy-Ray) Power (CSE)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

fazermal wrote:Flat; having lost evervescence or to generate electric current (Oxford)

Mal (QHSE)
As evervescence sang "Bring Me To Life" ( with an optimate ) ! :I can't believe it's not butter!
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker
Current Ride: 4 motion transporter or a pair of twintips

Post by yelloisfriedegg »

erm , thats Evanescence ;) , I wonder what the duracell bunny would think about all this :I can't believe it's not butter!
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Would of pissed off long ago.

Scott (jester)
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

yelloisfriedegg wrote:erm , thats Evanescence ;)
Just for future reference -
A malapropism (from French mal à propos, "ill to purpose") is an incorrect usage of a word by substituting a similar-sounding word with different meaning, usually with comic effect.
:biggrin2
yelloisfriedegg
Late Braker
Current Ride: 4 motion transporter or a pair of twintips

Post by yelloisfriedegg »

touche monsier :I can't believe it's not butter!
al
Mass Debater

Post by al »

yelloisfriedegg wrote:touche monsier :I can't believe it's not butter!
Mans bottom ???? :eek
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ) wrote:Looks OK to me dude.

Back to the battery discussion, here's a usefull site with a description of battery theory. http://www.batterystuff.com/tutorial_battery.html#8

Modern maintenance batteries can handle a deeper discharging cycle but as with any chemical device will still die if neglected.

Yours,

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) ( Super Nanny ).
BEng (Hons) MIEE.
:arse

Good info. Now you know why an optimate makes good sense. :up
Shrek
Tank Slapper

Post by Shrek »

Can’t disagree with that, mine is on the Optimate every night. :cool

I think it was Superbike that had a longtermer GSXR750 year before last that the battery was f*cked just after a couple of months.. :???
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Post by crankcase »

M+P have an Optimate III for £39.99. I'll do some more digging around but that seems a reasonable price to pay.
Do you know how long your getting out your battery using it ?
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

crankcase wrote:M+P have an Optimate III for £39.99. I'll do some more digging around but that seems a reasonable price to pay.
Do you know how long your getting out your battery using it ?
Current battery in the Duke is 3 1/2 years old an no problems at all yet. Been on an optimate every time it's in the garage.
fagintheblagger

Post by fagintheblagger »

I have had 2 batteries on my Zed since it was new in 1998............have used an Optimate on the second one and despite it being completely flat a few times has always recharged and started the bike ok.
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Found a useful article that tells you all about batteries, maintenance, jump start procedures etc. Here....

http://www.mcnews.com/mcnews/articles/battery.htm
momeg
Direct Access

Post by momeg »

Missile wrote:and you would know all about THAT :knob

Quote from Optimate web site=

If your battery is so badly discharged, or damaged, to the point where it has less than 2 Volts, it is probably irrecoverable. Take your battery to your local dealer and ask him to test it on a “BatteryMateâ€￾ tester/charger. He will be able to tell you the battery’s condition within a matter of seconds – a BatteryMate can also recover very deep-discharged batteries, if at all possible.
Battery i have running with bandit was properly fully discharged before i got it home (very little fluid in it), it will charge and run for all of a couple of days. Dont think Its keeping it's charge! :evil But having been mulling over buying a new battery but i'm wondering whether i should wait til the fine weather comes as there won't be many days left to run out the bike?? :??? but then is that dangerous? not planning long runs just short spells out and about local!
:???
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Post by missile »

Not "dangerous" but obviously you may get stranded. they are not expensive if you shop around and IMHO you would be better to get a new one now.
momeg
Direct Access

Post by momeg »

Missile wrote:Not "dangerous" but obviously you may get stranded. they are not expensive if you shop around and IMHO you would be better to get a new one now.
Bandits xmas wish list

:P New Battery :2up
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

momeg wrote:
Bandits xmas wish list

:P New Battery :2up
Batteries wait for their new owners in a state of hibernation called dry-charged, which means the manufacturer has dried the preformed positive and negative plates, assembled the battery and sealed it in a bag that doesn't contain oxygen. It can sleep like this for two or three years without a problem.

Simple floating ball hydrometer indicates charge by the weight of the electrolyte. A fully charged batterys electrolyte is 26% heavier than water, so the more of the graduated balls that float, the higher the charge.

The biggest single harm that can be done to the life expectancy of a new battery usually occurs when it's sold. In the rush to get a new machine set up for sale or to get the customer out the door with his new replacement battery, many batteries are simply filled with electrolyte, installed and pressed into service within minutes of being unwrapped. Sound familiar? It's all wrong. What this procedure buys you is a battery that will never have more than 80% of its powerever! For this reason, many riders prefer to prep their new batteries themselves to make sure it's done correctly.

Here's the actual factory-recommended service procedure, and don't be too surprised if you've never heard it before.

First, unwrap the battery, unkink the vent tube and snip about a half-inch off the end, unless it's a maintenance-free type and doesn't have a vent tube. Next, fill it with electrolyte midway between the high and low level markings on the case. Next, let the battery sit for one or two hoursafter which the battery will still be at only 65% of full charge. Check the electrolyte level and add electrolyte if required. That's rightadd electrolyte. This is the only time in the life of your battery that you can ever add anything but water.

Now surprise you must still charge the battery. If it is a refillable lead-antimony type, it should be charged at one-third of its rated capacity in amp/hours for four to five hours to get it to full charge. Honda and Yuasa recommend that the maintenance-free type should be charged with a constant-current charger that can drive the charge with as much as 16.9 volts and closely monitored not to exceed full charge (another reason to buy a smart charger). Afterwards, recheck the level and add water if required. Finally, let the battery cool so the case contracts enough to fit into its typically tight little holder, run the new breather tube (if it has one) carefully through the original factory routing, being sure that it's well away from your chain and you're ready to go.
Backs 400
Late Braker
Current Ride: Cbr 600 F4

Post by Backs 400 »

Battery????..My bike has a battery??? I thought it was petrol driven!! ;)

My CBR just does not hold a charge any more...which is a tad annoying to say the least, and thats a pretty new battery. Having the same problem with a newish battery on one of my Landies..big heavy duty beast of a battery but the vehicle has sat for about 8 months and the thing just will not charge up..and at £180 for one..well....i could cry!
Gazza
I don't believe it!

Post by Gazza »

Backs 400 wrote:Battery????..My bike has a battery??? I thought it was petrol driven!! ;)

My CBR just does not hold a charge any more...which is a tad annoying to say the least, and thats a pretty new battery. Having the same problem with a newish battery on one of my Landies..big heavy duty beast of a battery but the vehicle has sat for about 8 months and the thing just will not charge up..and at £180 for one..well....i could cry!

Possibly the dealer charged it for you? They often tend to just stick it straight on a boost charger as thats the quickest way.

Best to ask for batteries in a non-charged state and follow the guidelines above.