General Biker Banter

Moderators: al, Administrator

aisgsimon
Knee Flapper
Current Ride: '88 VFR 750FJ

Exhaust coating

Post by aisgsimon »

managed to almost secure a new exhaust system for my VFR,

Ive seen some coatings that are available at spray shops that get good reviews. Looks like original steel ones so im keen to have them coated/treated to ensure longevity - anyone know of this in Aberdeen. I could go for hammerite High temp paint/engine paint but wouldny mind paying for something more robust
missile
Candle in the wind.
Current Ride: Virtual rider

Re: Exhaust coating

Post by missile »

You might be better to consider a stainless system, e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VFR750-VFR-75 ... 20f432331c
haiax0
Tank Slapper
Current Ride: Ducati Hypermotard

Post by haiax0 »

:stupid
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

Considered this but none available from motad for the RC24 , However ive found a decent looking system on everones favourite auctions site from elsewhere in europe ---for a decent price even. It could be SS but cant verify from pics
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

http://www.morebikes.co.uk/stop-motorcy ... tech-bike/

A 14-year old Honda CBR600 exhaust, freshly coated with Zircotec and ready for a lifetime of use.

aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

may i ask how much you paid
Gazza
I don't believe it!
Current Ride: KTM 690 Duke

Post by Gazza »

I didn't pay anything, I just did a search for you and found that. But example rates are quoted on the link....
The price of the Endurance range is £42+VAT (£50.40) per engine cylinder for a set of downpipes and collector box. For silencers, expect to pay £132 for a single end-can, or £198 for a twin (£158.40 and £237.60 with VAT respectively). Because of the work involved, there’s a minimum purchase order of £120+VAT. For more details, visit the website at http://www.zircotec.com
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

I don't envy you when it comes to removing the exhaust manifold retaining bolts on a 1988 bike. I replaced the exhaust on my 2010 Versys last year and that was a challange and a test in patience.

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:I don't envy you when it comes to removing the exhaust manifold retaining bolts on a 1988 bike. I replaced the exhaust on my 2010 Versys last year and that was a challange and a test in patience.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I got myself some extension bars. I am told WD 40, daily, a few days in advance helps matters.

So far ive managed to blag some garage space from a collegaue so I can have a weekend inddors to attempt it and potentially have somewhere to store it in bits for a week if I need.

Might try it towards the end of the month or something. Was going to sort out the 'new' pipes with spray paint or a coating whilst they are off before I install them.

Im expecting grazed knuckles though, some of the VFr forums mention a method that doesnt involve engine removal, but it involves grazed knuckles and removing rear suspension.

Only one way to learn/find out!
al
Mass Debater
Current Ride: Space Hopper

Post by al »

Soak with penetrating oil, loosen off the nuts slightly, spray penetrating oil down the back of the nuts and repeat. Do not try and rush it. :2up
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) wrote:Soak with penetrating oil, loosen off the nuts slightly, spray penetrating oil down the back of the nuts and repeat. Do not try and rush it. :2up
Thanks!
Exhausts arrived, ponly to find they were from the earlier model rc24... Time to flip them on ebay it seems.

FJ/FK exhausts are like rocking horse poo it seems...
crankcase
Tube steak
Current Ride: GSXR750k4

Post by crankcase »

aisgsimon wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]I don't envy you when it comes to removing the exhaust manifold retaining bolts on a 1988 bike. I replaced the exhaust on my 2010 Versys last year and that was a challange and a test in patience.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).
I got myself some extension bars. I am told WD 40, daily, a few days in advance helps matters.

Im expecting grazed knuckles though, some of the VFr forums mention a method that doesnt involve engine removal, but it involves grazed knuckles and removing rear suspension.

Only one way to learn/find out![/quote]

Get yourself a 1/4" square drive socket set. Double jointed knuckles come in handy too.
The exact method I can't remember but the tank and air box out might make it easier. As will removing the radiator bottom screws and swinging it out a bit.
Engine definitely does not need to come out. Remove the swing arm(which gives you opportunity to clean and re-grease the the bearings :2up )
Getting the rear downpipes out and back in is like a Chinese puzzle but IS possible.
Patience is a virtue.
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

Forgot to add.
Rear downpipes.
Don't get one in and bolt in position before getting the other in. Leave the first unbolted as it'll give you room to get the second in.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

crankcase wrote:
aisgsimon wrote:[quote="Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian)"]I don't envy you when it comes to removing the exhaust manifold retaining bolts on a 1988 bike. I replaced the exhaust on my 2010 Versys last year and that was a challange and a test in patience.

Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Big Kneed Al (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian) (master of the emergency stop & "stand up" comedian).

Only one way to learn/find out!
Get yourself a 1/4" square drive socket set. Double jointed knuckles come in handy too.
The exact method I can't remember but the tank and air box out might make it easier. As will removing the radiator bottom screws and swinging it out a bit.
Engine definitely does not need to come out. Remove the swing arm(which gives you opportunity to clean and re-grease the the bearings :2up )
Getting the rear downpipes out and back in is like a Chinese puzzle but IS possible.
Patience is a virtue.[/quote]

Thanks, its on my list of things to do. Motad are making a abtch of SS exhausts up so am saving some pennies to buy them in about a month or so since i cant seem to find any decent looking systems on ebay to do up.

Will keep a note of this, ive been offered a garage by a collegue for a weekend at anypoint so thats a helpful start!
Myxomatosis
Baw Bag
Current Ride: ER6N + GROM

Post by Myxomatosis »

My exhaust is coated in a nice layer of dirt at the moment.. really should do something about that :cool
crankcase
Tube steak

Post by crankcase »

https://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/

Motad STD/STD downpipes and collector £335......ouch.

They do (or did) genuine H O N D A exhaust parts individually.
Parts not on the website but e-mail them with the enquiry. You'll be surprised how cheap they are (or were)
STD/STD but not good grade. Keeps it original though.
Not sure if you'd get after market cans that fit the 4-2 system. Haven't looked.
aisgsimon
Knee Flapper

Post by aisgsimon »

My cans are good, I like them. I have a quotefor about £200 from motad themself which is a worthwhile investment.

Ill give David silvers a shout though and see. THey are a bit like rocking horse poo these exhasuts